Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Peter Gabriel's New Album Finally Going To Be Released

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    No.
    Kind of surprising!

Gabriel dedicates new single to Open-Source Intelligence agencies like Bellingcat.

Considering that Roger Waters has described Bellingcat as his "old nemesis" (because Waters is taking the Russian side over Ukraine and considers Bellingcat a creature of the CIA), this is setting us up for an epic debate / steel-cage match / rap battle between these two legends.
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vostoklake View Post
    Gabriel dedicates new single to Open-Source Intelligence agencies like Bellingcat.

Considering that Roger Waters has described Bellingcat as his "old nemesis" (because Waters is taking the Russian side over Ukraine and considers Bellingcat a creature of the CIA), this is setting us up for an epic debate / steel-cage match / rap battle between these two legends.
    Great, more reasons for me to ignore both of them, and focus on music. I’m not impressed with what I’ve heard from this release.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Peter Gabriel left Genesis in August 1975. 19 months later, he released his first solo album: Car. 16 months later, he released the second album: Scratch. 23 months later, he released his third: Melt. 28 months later, he released his fourth: Security. 3 years & 8 months later, he released So. 6 years & 3 months later, he released Us. 10 years later, he released Up. If this new one comes out this year, it will be 20 years since Up. Anyone notice a trend here? (Before I get jumped, Scratch My Back was all covers & New Blood was rehashed old existing PG songs) Amazing that Mr Gabriel only has 7 original studio albums to his name.
    Yes. That he had inspiration of which he went gradually in shortage.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Yes. That he had inspiration of which he went gradually in shortage.
    He did some soundtracks, like Birdy and Passion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    He did some soundtracks, like Birdy and Passion.
    Birdy, with Matthew Modine and Nicholas Cage is a fantastic, very underrated movie IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    Birdy, with Matthew Modine and Nicholas Cage is a fantastic, very underrated movie IMO.
    I know, watched it. Also read the book it was based on. My dad liked 'Dad' from the same author more.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well, we've waited 20 years, what's another few hours?
    Interestingly enough, that would mean that by the time Peter Gabriel will be releasing his next album after his latest one and at his working pace, it would prolly be around the time he would be about 95 years old?

To his credit, besides those 7 albums released since 1977, he has also been involved in creating the Secret World label and sponsoring tons of artists, Nomad, soundtracks and multiple solo tours including the one with Sting and the So anniversary plus managing the secret world studios where Marillion recorded their latest.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Interestingly enough, that would mean that by the time Peter Gabriel will be releasing his next album after his latest one and at his working pace, it would prolly be around the time he would be about 95 years old?

To his credit, besides those 7 albums released since 1977, he has also been involved in creating the Secret World label and sponsoring tons of artists, Nomad, soundtracks and multiple solo tours including the one with Sting and the So anniversary plus managing the secret world studios where Marillion recorded their latest.
    Yes, and Peter Gabriel founded Real World Studios where Big Big Train has worked much and other notable clients of Real World Studios include A-ha, Stereophonics, Seal, James, Reef, Therapy?, Alicia Keys, Amy Winehouse, Placebo, Van Morrison, Beyoncé, Natalie Duncan, Björk, Black Grape, Coldplay, Mumford & Sons, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Paolo Nutini, Robert Plant, The Vamps, Paloma Faith, Rag'n'Bone Man, Tom Jones, New Order, Kasabian, Katie Melua, Kylie Minogue, Laura Marling, Pixies, Sade, Sia, Blue October, Harry Styles, Maggie Rogers, Marillion, The 1975, Foals and Indigo Girls.

Exactly. It isn't as if his whole career has simply been a routine of making and releasing albums and touring. He's always been actively involved in several projects at once, some of which have been large-scale endeavors, as Firth has mentioned.

I always get a chuckle when people cut and paste entire paragraphs directly from Wikipedia and tack it onto the end of their sentence to make it look like it just naturally came out that way.

I haven't minded waiting all these years for a new album though, it will get here when it gets here. That's just how PG works. After all, he's an English musician, singer, songwriter, record producer, and activist. He rose to fame as the original lead singer of the progressive rock band Genesis. After leaving Genesis in 1975, he launched a successful solo career with "Solsbury Hill" as his first single. His fifth studio album, So (1986), is his best-selling release and is certified triple platinum in the UK and five times platinum in the US. The album's most successful single, "Sledgehammer", won a record nine MTV Awards at the 1987 MTV Video Music Awards and, according to a report in 2011, it was MTV's most played music video of all time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I see what you did there.

I always get a chuckle when people cut and paste entire paragraphs directly from Wikipedia and tack it onto the end of their sentence to make it look like it just naturally came out that way.
    Anything more than two sentences is tl:dr.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Well, if nobody's gonna...

Oh yeah, listened last night. Wasn't feeling the verses, but the chorus is pretty fun.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Banned
    Far more bothersome to me, is when people are too lazy to read curated content, and prefer to post their own artistic license applied to curated fact. I often quote Wiki in threads where people are off the tracks, and not surprised they don’t like it.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I almost hate to mention this, but the bridge/chorus bit of “I/O” sounds like a lift from U2’s “Beautiful Day”.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Far more bothersome to me, is when people are too lazy to read curated content, and prefer to post their own artistic license applied to curated fact. I often quote Wiki in threads where people are off the tracks, and not surprised they don’t like it.
    I said I got a chuckle out of it, I didn't say it was bothersome. I hope you aren't too lazy to read my post! "Lazy" is also a song by Deep Purple from their 1972 album Machine Head. A live performance of the song can be found on the album Made in Japan, released later the same year. The song starts out as an instrumental, keyboardist Jon Lord plays an overdriven Hammond organ intro, followed by the main riff and with the solo swapping between him and guitarist Ritchie Blackmore. I wonder if we're 'off the tracks' yet... Vocalist Ian Gillan comes in with the vocals later in the song. He also uses harmonica both on the studio version and live. At over 7 minutes long, it is the longest track on the album, and live versions were often extended past 10 minutes.

As for i/o, so far this track hasn't hit me the way the first three did, although I like that it finally comes alive a bit late in the song. I quite like most of what I've heard so far, but I'm still crossing my fingers for the 'wow factor' track to be released. I know he's still got it in him somewhere!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned

As for i/o, so far this track hasn't hit me the way the first three did, although I like that it finally comes alive a bit late in the song. I quite like most of what I've heard so far, but I'm still crossing my fingers for the 'wow factor' track to be released. I know he's still got it in him somewhere!
    I have way too much interesting music that I haven’t listened too, to be motivated to prioritize this record after hearing what I have heard.

I have way too much interesting music that I haven’t listened too, to be motivated to prioritize this record after hearing what I have heard.
    Nothing I've heard has grabbed me either. They haven't sucked, they're just kinda there. His voice is still strong and sounds the same, but the songwriting strikes me as pretty middling. However, I don't think I've purchased any of Peter's releases since the 90s, so I've been of that mind for a long time now.

Peter is one of my personal heroes, and I'm excited by this new music from him, but man, the guy gives the most boring interviews.

Me digs it. He can get his belt out for sure. Made me smile,short and sweet. Listening again.

Huge fan, but he's 0-for-4 in my book so far. As others have said here and on the Hoffman forum, he's probably holding back the heavy hitters for later...

Although listening to it five minutes at a time, once a month, at least means it won't take too much time away from all that other music.

Peter Gabriel has always been one to calculate his artistic efforts. I suspect that, once we get to the end of these individual releases, things will all come together with a collective, "Aha!"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"