Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gino Vannelli - One of the Greatest Yacht Rock Artists and Band

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Video unavailable.
    It was from this Shazam-page: https://www.shazam.com/nl/track/1018...her-to-brother

Maybe this one works (featuring the complete album Carnival):

I remember my sister got me The Gist of Gemini for my 12th birthday. I'd never heard of him, but then again I'd never heard of Ian Dury & the Blockheads (whose Laughter she gave me the year previously) or even The Doobie Brothers (One Step Closer, for Christmas in 1980) either. My sister is four years my senior and hung out with some pretty seriously music-addicted dudes at the time, ALL of them intent on steering my adolescent heart away from Kiss and Rainbow and Journey.

This was two years before I started listening conclusively to what I learned was progressive rock, and by that time I'd let a couple of friends of mine use Gemini for a frisbee outside in the garden of the house I grew up in. Granted this was his only "real" venture into prog havens, I came to regret the ignorance. His pompous pop-songs weren't always shite, just not that engaging to me. And luckily Gemini was easy to come by later on, that "War Suite" still a fun if burlesquely bombastic creation.

I had some of the same experience with Mandalaband and their Eye of Wendor, which someone gave me due to the main title theme also appearing as parts of the soundtrack for a children's adventure-comedy series (Brødrene Dal) produced in 1978 by the Norwegian state-run television broadcasting company.

I still quite enjoy both Wendor and Gemini today, although I rarely take time to spin them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM