Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP James Caan

Damn. One of the clearest memories I have of my childhood is of watching Brian's Song on TV in 1971, when I was 10. I saw many of his other performances over the years, but missed many as well, a gap which I'll now try to fill. What a career! His was a presence seemingly built for the big screen. RIP
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

In 1971 I was 13 and got all choked up watching Brian's Song.

My first R rated movie I saw was "The Godfather"

Needless to say I became a James Caan fan

RIP

I would expect TCM to have a celebration of his work with a number of films. Keep your eyes open.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

One lesser known movie he was in that I enjoyed was "Lathe of Heaven". Caan played the psychiatrist who manipulates a young man's dreams that then come true. Based on the novel by Ursala K. Le Guin.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I didn't know they remade that movie, and initially thought you were mistaking the curly-haired guy who played that role in the 1980 version as being Caan.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I didn't know they remade that movie, and initially thought you were mistaking the curly-haired guy who played that role in the 1980 version as being Caan.
    Yeah, I only know the one from BBC. I didn’t know there was an American remake! Interesting. I love the BBC one.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, James Caan was one of our greatest actors. National treasure. He could stand off to the side and not say anything and enhance the scene. He'd show up in an otherwise ho-hum film like Henry's Crime and instantly elevate it.

James Caan considered Thief his best film, and I stand behind that assertion one-hundred percent. It's a tour de force, especially for a director's (Michael Mann) first. (And, yeah, I can't imagine the film without Tangerine Dream's music.)

RIP.

I had read that Caan was not a fan of Tangerine Dream's soundtrack to Thief. Said it gave him a headache. It was also my introduction to TD. I asked a friend if he had anything instrumental that was kind of like Pink Floyd. Thief was what he gave me. Hooked.

Caan has a slew of great movies. I would have picked Rollerball as my fav. RIP Mr Caan.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Henry Hill, Sonny Corleone and Paulie Walnuts all gone in the past month or so.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I had read that Caan was not a fan of Tangerine Dream's soundtrack to Thief. Said it gave him a headache. It was also my introduction to TD. I asked a friend if he had anything instrumental that was kind of like Pink Floyd. Thief was what he gave me. Hooked.

Caan has a slew of great movies. I would have picked Rollerball as my fav. RIP Mr Caan.
    My intro to Tangerine Dream was when my dad took me to see Sorcerer when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    There are many people who aren't fans of non-orchestral film scores. but Mann wasn't one of them. Like Friedkin, Mann was really into TD and their "new" sound, was very specific about what he wanted them to do, citing "Thru Metamorphic Rocks" as one example of score to "drive" certain scenes. That's how we got "Diamond Diary."

The one thing TD couldn't do was supply a piece with the same level of grandeur as "Comfortably Numb" (The Wall had just come out), so Mann sought out Craig Safan to compose the "Confrontation" finale.

^ Mann's decision to have TD do the soundtrack for The Keep was major reason for its unique atmosphere of almost surreal dread.

The main theme of "Stealing the Silver Cross" bluntly echoed the verse/vocal line of "Lay Down" by Strawbs. A great revisioning of melody, as I hear it.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Mann's decision to have TD do the soundtrack for The Keep was major reason for its unique atmosphere of almost surreal dread.

The main theme of "Stealing the Silver Cross" bluntly echoed the verse/vocal line of "Lay Down" by Strawbs. A great revisioning of melody, as I hear it.
    The Keep is another of TD's best scores. What you're hearing in that track is an excerpt/extract from the first side of Logos.

The Keep doesn't lack for atmosphere and it has an awesome antagonist, but it's not the movie Mann wanted us to see. He turned in a 3hr cut. The studio said nope, we're putting out a 90-minute movie. The second half and especially the finale suffer immensely as a result.

Another tidbit: Mann wanted TD for Miami Vice, but they had already committed to Streethawk.
    Last edited by dropforge; 07-10-2022 at 01:22 PM.

The Keep doesn't lack for atmosphere and it has an awesome antagonist, but it's not the movie Mann wanted us to see. He turned in a 3hr cut. The studio said nope, we're putting out a 90-minute movie. The second half and especially the finale suffer immensely as a result.
    I know. And agree; there's something helplessly cartoonish about the final half-hour or so. Completely at odds with the opening part. There was even distant talk of a remake a few years back, based on Mann's ultimate sketches for the film but allegedly not scheduled to be directed by him. I guess it didn't materialize.

Probably just as well, seeing as it wouldn't be the same without the TD soundtrack.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A true legend. A career of outstanding performances (Sonny Corleone!) His performance as Paul Sheldon in MISERY, though, remains one of my all-time favorites. Peace be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My intro to Tangerine Dream was when my dad took me to see Sorcerer when it came out.
    I’ve never seen the movie, but the album is great. Is it worth watching?

The one thing TD couldn't do was supply a piece with the same level of grandeur as "Comfortably Numb" (The Wall had just come out), so Mann sought out Craig Safan to compose the "Confrontation" finale.
    Always wondered how “Confrontation” ended up on the album. I do like the track but its not on the level of “Comfortably Numb”.

A great actor, a man's man and an adult son who went to temple with his Mom - the same temple as Frank Zappa's sister Patrice. I still have an affinity for Brian's Song - a great movie from my childhood!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Rollerball! One of the holy trinity of my youth, along with Planet of the Apes and Westworld.
    YES! Rollerball is one of my favorites of all time.

^^ I have the original soundtrack on vinyl, which was the beginning of my appreciation for classical music.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"