Thread: R.I. P Manny Charlton of Nazareth

R.I. P Manny Charlton of Nazareth

Not Prog, but as a kid I listened alot to Nazareth, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc. I just learned that the legendary guitarist of Nazareth passed away a couple of days ago. I always kind of liked his playing. R.I.P Manny and thanks for all the treasures you left behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Charlton

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Manny.
    Frog in boiling water

Close Enough For Rock N Roll was one of the first records I heard, because my oldest brother had it on 8-track. I later acquired my own LP and CD copies of the album. A firm favourite! LOVE Manny's guitar solo on Telegram, and also his acoustic playing on Vicki.

And he was really friendly to me on Facebook, too. RIP Manny

Manny had his own version of Nazareth touring for a while. They filmed a DVD at the Kalamazoo State Theater about 10 minutes from my house. I did not go to the show, but my buddy and his daughter did and they are in a bunch of shots in the DVD. Pretty good performance for the most part.

Oh man. I'll have to put on Hair of the Dog later. RIP.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    RIP - Saw them at the World Music Festival in Toronto around 1978ish.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Manny had his own version of Nazareth touring for a while. They filmed a DVD at the Kalamazoo State Theater about 10 minutes from my house. I did not go to the show, but my buddy and his daughter did and they are in a bunch of shots in the DVD. Pretty good performance for the most part.
    Wow. You must have had to work that night.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Never a huge fan but I remember them appearing on Top Of The Pops back in the day, I guess it was for Broken Down Angel or This Flight Tonight, it was a live film and Manny was playing nonchalantly in front of a rather large Marshall stack, which I thought was incredibly cool back then. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Wow. You must have had to work that night.
    Very possible, since I used to work 2nd shift.

Sad. Another excellent guitar player gone! He created some beautiful bluesy solos without full-out shredding… he made every note count. RIP.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I saw Nazareth twice in the Razzmanazz daze ---fine shows at that!!! RIP Manny and thanks for fine memories

Saw them in support of Deep Purple in early '76.

Just recently got myself the NazBox (4CD) compilation. So sad. It's tough to be getting old, as the circle of your early music heroes gets smaller and smaller. R.I.P., your riffs / music lives on.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

RIP to an under-rated player and riffmeister. Nazareth gets lumped into hard rock but stylistically they had a wider range. Not that they couldn't put the hammer down. "Telegram" was monster of a set opener.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart