Thread: Sturgil Simpson

Sturgil Simpson

So......I normally never come anywhere close to Country Music. I like Southern Rock and some of those artists get pretty close to country on occasion. I have also liked Jimmy Buffett who has been known to do country albums at times as well. But, generally I avoid most country. Somehow this guy caught my attention and I decided to purchase his most recent album "The Ballad Of Dood And Juanita". The album is a concept piece that tells a story from beginning to end. I would almost call this country prog. Anyway.......I am really digging it and wondering if there are any other fans of this guy here?

Not at all familiar with his work, but I just heard him described as "Country Music for Liberals" and now I'm intrigued.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not at all familiar with his work, but I just heard him described as "Country Music for Liberals" and now I'm intrigued.
    Ha, not sure what that means as the album I have has nothing at all political on it, but I am not very familiar with the guy at this point.

I've only heard his album A Sailor's Guide to Earth, and thought it was pretty cool -- not many country music albums I've heard that have synths on them. I'm not typically a country music listener, though there are always exceptions for me (love Dwight Yoakam, for example). Been meaning to check out more of Sturgill's music.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Honestly, my exposure is almost completely centered around his title song in The Dead Don't Die. Which I absolutely love, and I do think the song is a delightful anchor for a film as weird as this.

Clip may not be for everyone so a link rather than an embed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfyDw7VR3Hg

And: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1hK2V2EoBw
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Honestly, my exposure is almost completely centered around his title song in The Dead Don't Die. Which I absolutely love, and I do think the song is a delightful anchor for a film as weird as this.

Clip may not be for everyone so a link rather than an embed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfyDw7VR3Hg

And: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1hK2V2EoBw
    I had forgotten about those scenes. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I had forgotten about those scenes. Cool!
    Yep, clever use of a song, as well as affirming my appreciation for Adam Driver's deadpan delivery
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm reminded of the Bob Newhart quote:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.

LOVE Sturgill! He's a giant in music. Great songwriter and visionary, with nary a fake cell in his body. His Sound and Fury album is closer to spacerock than Alan Jackson. However, he seems to be more interested in getting an acting career going these days.
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

He's great.

Check out Chris Stapleton, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNefariousHED View Post
    LOVE Sturgill! He's a giant in music. Great songwriter and visionary, with nary a fake cell in his body. His Sound and Fury album is closer to spacerock than Alan Jackson. However, he seems to be more interested in getting an acting career going these days.
    I have read that both Simpson and Jason Isbell have lead roles in the next upcoming Martin Scorsese movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    He's great.

Check out Chris Stapleton, too.
    I have liked what I have heard from Stapleton, but don't currently own anything. Do you have an album that you would recommend as a starter?

I recommend Sturgil Simpson Sound and Fury. It's like hard gutbucket countrified blues rock with energy, if that makes sense.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I wasn't that impressed with Sound and Fury - that beat was a little too close to dance music. A Sailor's Guide to Earth is simply one of the greatest contemporary Americana albums. I wouldn't call him country, too much of an outlaw with a lot of southern rock mixed in. Americana is a better pigeonhole. Same with Jason Isbell, though I heard an interview where he bristled at being called "country" and said he thinks he's more of a folk artist.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I recommend Sturgil Simpson Sound and Fury. It's like hard gutbucket countrified blues rock with energy, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I wasn't that impressed with Sound and Fury - that beat was a little too close to dance music. A Sailor's Guide to Earth is simply one of the greatest contemporary Americana albums. I wouldn't call him country, too much of an outlaw with a lot of southern rock mixed in. Americana is a better pigeonhole. Same with Jason Isbell, though I heard an interview where he bristled at being called "country" and said he thinks he's more of a folk artist.
    I am a big fan of Isbell. First got into him when he was a member of Drive By Truckers. He is a tough one to pigeonhole for sure. He is a rock / country / folk / signer-songwriter hybrid. As for Simpson, the only album I have heard is the current one which I would definitely put in the country / bluegrass camp. I will seek out more of his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have liked what I have heard from Stapleton, but don't currently own anything. Do you have an album that you would recommend as a starter?
    Traveller is pretty good, and has what's probably his best-known song, "Tennessee Whiskey"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Traveller is pretty good, and has what's probably his best-known song, "Tennessee Whiskey"

I saw Sturgill on Colbert a few years back! Outstanding! His band was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk