Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Hope he recovers quickly.
    I had pneumonia over my whole right lung in June. Spent week in the hospital, always a fun time. Chest tube to pull it all out. again, fun times.

Since Buck is much older than I am I do hope him well. It was such a bitch that I had to call 911 just to make sure I got into the hospital. If you just show up to an ER you won't get in for hours and I could barely breathe. They got me stitched up, though. I'm still kicking for now.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's a lot! Did they tour much in the '80s? I'm guessing not, because otherwise it seems like I would have ended up seeing them more when I was living in Syracuse, or that they would have opened for Rush on other tours besides the one I saw them on (Hold Your Fire?).
    Ha! Nobody "LIVES" in Syracuse, you just exist. 40+ years experience of that! That's where I first saw BOC in 1979 and over 30 times since. In 5 states? Hmmm...NY,PA,MD,OH,CA,NV....I guess 6. Grew up listening to them and never get enough. Last show I saw was Halloween 2022 at the Keswick.
    Hope Buck heals quick. Such a nasty illness.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Ha! Nobody "LIVES" in Syracuse, you just exist. 40+ years experience of that! That's where I first saw BOC in 1979 and over 30 times since. In 5 states? Hmmm...NY,PA,MD,OH,CA,NV....I guess 6. Grew up listening to them and never get enough. Last show I saw was Halloween 2022 at the Keswick.
    Hope Buck heals quick. Such a nasty illness.
    Did you see them open for Rush mid-80s? It wasn’t in Syracuse, it was Binghamton or somewhere like that. When Club Ninja was out.

No, but I did see Rush on the Hold Your Fire tour at Broome County Arena. I don't recall an opener for them. Great show!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's a lot! Did they tour much in the '80s? I'm guessing not, because otherwise it seems like I would have ended up seeing them more when I was living in Syracuse, or that they would have opened for Rush on other tours besides the one I saw them on (Hold Your Fire?).
    My first time seeing them was in the 80’s right after Extraterrestrial Live came out. I also saw them on the Revolution By Night, Club Ninja, and Imaginos tours during the 80’s. It was in the 90’s when I probably saw them the most. They got to a point when they were playing for small audiences in clubs. They used to play Grand Rapids (about 45 minutes from me) pretty much once a year, so I was lucky. The last time I saw them was here in Kalamazoo a few years ago. Ironically, Eric was sick for that show, so it was only Buck and the rest of the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I had pneumonia over my whole right lung in June. Spent week in the hospital, always a fun time. Chest tube to pull it all out. again, fun times.

Since Buck is much older than I am I do hope him well. It was such a bitch that I had to call 911 just to make sure I got into the hospital. If you just show up to an ER you won't get in for hours and I could barely breathe. They got me stitched up, though. I'm still kicking for now.
    Pneumonia needs to be taken seriously especially as you get older. It kills a lot of elderly people. Glad you recovered, but sounds like it sucked to go through.

My first time seeing them was in the 80’s right after Extraterrestrial Live came out. I also saw them on the Revolution By Night, Club Ninja, and Imaginos tours during the 80’s. It was in the 90’s when I probably saw them the most. They got to a point when they were playing for small audiences in clubs. They used to play Grand Rapids (about 45 minutes from me) pretty much once a year, so I was lucky. The last time I saw them was here in Kalamazoo a few years ago. Ironically, Eric was sick for that show, so it was only Buck and the rest of the guys.
    Any setlist surprises, since I assume Richie handled all of Eric's vocal parts?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Buck is in the hospital as of five days ago with pneumonia. Hopefully he'll get over it quickly.
    I read that last week's gigs were rescheduled for late January, so Buck's on the mend.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I read that last week's gigs were rescheduled for late January, so Buck's on the mend.
    Yes indeed!! Get well soon, Buck, and back on stage!!

I only saw BOC once, on the release of their fourth album. I wish I had seen them since but at least I caught them at their most primal.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    No, but I did see Rush on the Hold Your Fire tour at Broome County Arena. I don't recall an opener for them. Great show!
    Where is Broome County Arena? Binghamton? Was it during a big snowstorm? In any case, the opener might have been Michael Schenker Group.

Yeah, Binghamton. I had to look up the date. November 13, 1987. I thought it was in 1986. There probably was snow, but i don't recall. i've been there a few times in excess snowfall! I've only seen MSG once, that was at USA Sams in Syracuse. (McCally-Schenker). Don't think BOC ever played there, unless I was away at college.

Fun fact. I saw many a show at USA Sams in the 80s. In 2003, WYNIT, the company I worked for, bought the building for its new home office. I laid out the networking infrastructure for it. Don't know what's there now, that company is long gone. It was so damn weird being in that building all hollowed out. I had to stand in some spots I used to at shows and yelled "I WAS HERE!!!!")
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I only saw BOC once, on the release of their fourth album. I wish I had seen them since but at least I caught them at their most primal.
    I saw them twice, 41 years apart.

I probably posted that earlier in this thread. So, forgive my repetition.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Any setlist surprises, since I assume Richie handled all of Eric's vocal parts?
    I actually found the set list on setlist Fm:

Dancin' in the Ruins
    This Ain't the Summer of Love
    (Richie Castellano on lead vocals)
    Golden Age of Leather
    Burnin' for You
    Lips in the Hills
    Harvest Moon
    The Vigil
    Buck's Boogie
    Then Came the Last Days of May
    True Confessions
    Tattoo Vampire
    Godzilla
    (Don't Fear) The Reaper

Encore:
    Harvester of Eyes
    Hot Rails to Hell

Lips In The Hills is one of my favorite BOC songs. Hard to imagine Eric not singing it though.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Lips In The Hills is one of my favorite BOC songs. Hard to imagine Eric not singing it though.
    It was kind of strange. Richie really knocked it out of the park on that show though. He basically had to cover his own parts and Eric's guitar & keyboard parts along with the vocals.

Richie is freakin' amazingly good.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

It was kind of strange. Richie really knocked it out of the park on that show though. He basically had to cover his own parts and Eric's guitar & keyboard parts along with the vocals.
    Richie is freakin' amazingly good.
    Richie can do it all. I love the Band Geeks. I bet Richie killed it on "Hot Rails to Hell."

Jon Anderson & the Band Geeks was the best Yes show I've seen in 20 years.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Richie can do it all. I love the Band Geeks. I bet Richie killed it on "Hot Rails to Hell."
    Yes, he does it great. In fact he does the song even when Eric is there. I saw them do it as an encore a few years before the show minus Eric and Richie did the vocal then too.

Ordered the Blu Ray for the first night 50th Anniversary set. Ordering the two CD set at some point.
    I'd love to see The Band Geeks with Jon Anderson if they came to the Bay Area.

Apparently Blue Oyster Cult has a “new” album coming out called Ghost Stories that consists of tracks that were recorded between 1978 and 2016, but were never released. The current band have tweaked and finished the tracks. Most of them have never been heard before. Here is the first video that is packed full of B.O.C. easter eggs.

The story behind the album.

The story behind the album.

Saw this today. I will have it!!

That's great. 1978-1983. The making of video was cool. Great info. Richie the overachiever!
    Autobuy!

**one cut from 2016
    JG

"MARKLAR!"