Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

^^ A lot of insights into that album. ME 262, for example. I didn't know it referred to the Messerschmitt ME 262 aircraft employed by the Nazi's late in WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    ^^ A lot of insights into that album. ME 262, for example. I didn't know it referred to the Messerschmitt ME 262 aircraft employed by the Nazi's late in WWII.
    I think somewhere in the lyrics is "ME262 it's a German jet."

ME-262 prince of turbojet
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    ME-262 prince of turbojet
    The jet is also pictured on the cover of the album.

I've bought some box collections in my time, but this one probably ranks as one of the best in terms of content and audio quality.

I hadn't listened to it for ages so I did a deep dive into the whole lot, and came up with a blog review, which some of you might find interesting:

Blue Öyster Cult – The Columbia Albums Collectiön (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I've bought some box collections in my time, but this one probably ranks as one of the best in terms of content and audio quality.

I hadn't listened to it for ages so I did a deep dive into the whole lot, and came up with a blog review, which some of you might find interesting:

Agree, it is a fantastic collection.

I have to admit that the more I listen to “Ghost Stories” the more it is growing on me. There are still a few songs I don’t care for, but I find myself humming a lot of these tunes in my head long after listening. I am glad they released this.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post

Good review! I have the box, and love it. I bought it about two years ago, and had no BOC before that, so that was an instant collection for me with lots of extras, at a great price!

Nice! Thanks for sharing, dropforge. I like this version that Adrian Belew did:

<sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

Probably my least favorite track on the album, although the video is kind of cool with the current lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Probably my least favorite track on the album, although the video is kind of cool with the current lineup.
    Minor quibble, but that's the 2016 lineup with Kasim Sulton (sitting on the carpet). Danny Miranda has been the bassist since 2017, and prior to that he was their bassist from '95-'04.

Richie has sported a bald look for a few years now as well, not like he looks in this video.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Minor quibble, but that's the 2016 lineup with Kasim Sulton (sitting on the carpet). Danny Miranda has been the bassist since 2017, and prior to that he was their bassist from '95-'04.

Richie has sported a bald look for a few years now as well, not like he looks in this video.
    Ah.....I did not notice that.

Maybe it's me, but this still sounds fresh.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm listening to Mirrors this AM. It's better than I remembered.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm listening to Mirrors this AM. It's better than I remembered.
    “Mirrors” is an album that has really grown on me over the years. I was actually working on a radio station when it came out and remember all the B.O.C. fans at the station being pretty lukewarm on it, although we did give the title track quite a bit of airplay. Over the years it is an album that I have come back to often and each time I think I like it more. Today I consider it one of the band’s best. Yes, it is poppy, but most of the songs are great and the production is one of the best sounding of any of the band’s albums. “Pretty girls, can’t look away………….”

The "Mirrors" tour was the only time l saw BOC. I remember Albert doing his drum solo in the middle of "Godzilla" with his big Godzilla head on, with strobe lights going. Too bad l was too young to smoke weed back then!
    I should note that l'm not a huge fan despite my PE handle...just so happens that the lyrics of that track fit me a little too well.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    The "Mirrors" tour was the only time l saw BOC. I remember Albert doing his drum solo in the middle of "Godzilla" with his big Godzilla head on, with strobe lights going. Too bad l was too young to smoke weed back then!
    I should note that l'm not a huge fan despite my PE handle...just so happens that the lyrics of that track fit me a little too well.
    I did not see them for the first time until the “Fire Of Unknown Origin” tour, but Albert was still doing the drum solo with the Godzilla head on and the strobe lights. They also had a big mechanical Godzilla head that breathed smoke. They still did the thing where Eric and Buck would cross their guitar necks over each other with the strobe lights going. It was the last time I saw them that had a big production like that. Every show afterwards (and I have seen them 20 times) the production got smaller and smaller. I never saw them in their laser hey day back in the 70’s unfortunately.

The Mirrors tour was my first concert and I've seen BOC somewhere in the mid 30s times now.
    Most my friends stopped listening to them with this release. I loved most of the album.
    Dr Music never did it for me though and Lonely Teardrop can fall off the face of the earth!
    My favorite picks are Great Sun Jester, In Thee, Mirrors, The Vigil and I Am The Storm. Lots to love.

Oh, and Albert revived the Godzilla head at his Imaginos show last year.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Wow, you and Steve are hard-core. I have never seen any band 20 or 30 times. I saw Rush 11 times and l thought that was a lot!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Definitely hard core. I've seen Gabriel 11 times, including in Paris.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    The Mirrors tour was my first concert and I've seen BOC somewhere in the mid 30s times now.
    Most my friends stopped listening to them with this release. I loved most of the album.
    Dr Music never did it for me though and Lonely Teardrop can fall off the face of the earth!
    My favorite picks are Great Sun Jester, In Thee, Mirrors, The Vigil and I Am The Storm. Lots to love.

Oh, and Albert revived the Godzilla head at his Imaginos show last year.
    I agree with all of the above, EXCEPT your comment about "Lonely Teardrops"! That's a great song I enjoy just as much as the rest of the album, though I concur the ones you listed are the best. Any "fan" who checked out after Mirrors oughta have their head examined!

My first time seeing them was on the "Spectres" tour. My second concert ever. Leaning on the center of the stage. March 1978.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I was so pissed my folks wouldn't let me go see the Spectres tour. I had to sneak out for a couple years after that to see concerts.
    Yes, hard core BOC fan. I'm one of the few who stuck with them all through the years. I've seen them in at least 6 states.
    I think only the local band 805 in Syracuse have I seen more. Cold Sweat might be second.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Wow, you and Steve are hard-core. I have never seen any band 20 or 30 times. I saw Rush 11 times and l thought that was a lot!
    Part of it is where I live. In the 90’s and 00’s Blue Oyster Cult used to come to my area at least once a year. They often played at a club in Grand Rapids. Back in the 90’s they would play to a few hundred people for really low-ticket prices. I used to see them just about any time they came through the area.

Similar story with Kansas, Foghat, & Queensryche who I have also seen around 20 times, but they used to come through town every year.