Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

Foghat and Head East always swung through central NY. I never liked either of them but they opened for a lot of main acts.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Foghat and Head East always swung through central NY. I never liked either of them but they opened for a lot of main acts.
    I only saw Head East twice, but Foghat was through here all the time especially after they dropped back to being a club act in the 90's / 00's. I always loved them so saw them a lot.

Where I grew up, the opener was often REO Speedwagon (before they became a successful pop act). Best one-two punch I ever had was Rush (touring for 2112) opening for BOC (touring for Agents of Fortune).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Where I grew up, the opener was often REO Speedwagon (before they became a successful pop act). Best one-two punch I ever had was Rush (touring for 2112) opening for BOC (touring for Agents of Fortune).
    I saw Rush's 2112 in Ottawa. The crowd was only about 3,000. What was the size at your show?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw Rush's 2112 in Ottawa. The crowd was only about 3,000. What was the size at your show?
    About that - just a small hockey arena in small city in North Dakota. Tickets were probably $5-7.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    About that - just a small hockey arena in small city in North Dakota. Tickets were probably $5-7.
    I don't know what's happened with ticket prices - even with inflation, I don' think $5-7 equals $200-$400.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't know what's happened with ticket prices - even with inflation, I don' think $5-7 equals $200-$400.
    I think one culprit is that basic disappearance of profit from record/cd sales to artists. Because of that, the next best opportunity to monetize music comes from live shows.

Full ticket from my first show.

rush-11-20-77-ticket.jpg

Contrary to the info, it was an indoor show.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How is the album Cult Classic? (Re-recorded “classics”)

Wow, those 50th Anniversary live shows are great!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How is the album Cult Classic? (Re-recorded “classics”)
    I know a lot of older bands do albums like this, but I can't say there is any real reason to own it. It has been years since I have heard it, but I don't remember that they did much different from the original arrangements. The sound was updated with more modern recording technology, but again, not sure that it was that much of an improvement over the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I know a lot of older bands do albums like this, but I can't say there is any real reason to own it. It has been years since I have heard it, but I don't remember that they did much different from the original arrangements. The sound was updated with more modern recording technology, but again, not sure that it was that much of an improvement over the originals.
    Do you still own it? If so maybe you can play it to refresh your memory? If it's the same one I'm thinking of they did an updated version of "O.D. on life" which seems more melodic and catchy than the original (which itself wasn't a bad song but not really a standout track imo).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Do you still own it? If so maybe you can play it to refresh your memory? If it's the same one I'm thinking of they did an updated version of "O.D. on life" which seems more melodic and catchy than the original (which itself wasn't a bad song but not really a standout track imo).
    I had it at one time, but sold it at my sister's garage sale years ago.

I have it and like it. It's rerecordings of some of their best known songs, and they sound good. I suspect it was one of those things where they re-record in order to gain ownership of those versions of the songs and can then lease them out for movies etc, like a number of other bands have done over the years.

But it's an enjoyable listen on its own terms, and the songs are just different enough where you spot the differences if you're familiar enough with the originals. Plus there are instrumental versions of Reaper and Godzilla (called "TV Versions") that were used in The Stand tv miniseries back in the 90s.

I believe a remastered version was released in 2020.

And yes, OD'd on Life Itself is on it.

I have Cult Classics and like it for the reasons stated above.

I bought used CDs of the last three BOC studio albums: Cult Classic, Heaven Forbid, and Curse of the Hidden Mirror. Cult Classic is coming next week, so if you have favorite songs from the other two last “regular” albums, lay ‘em on me here please!

I bought used CDs of the last three BOC studio albums: Cult Classic, Heaven Forbid, and Curse of the Hidden Mirror. Cult Classic is coming next week, so if you have favorite songs from the other two last “regular” albums, lay ‘em on me here please!
    There have been two albums since those. “The Symbol Remains” which I think ranks up with the best albums the band has ever done, and “Ghost Stories” which has tracks resurrected from throughout their career that were never released.

Of the albums you mention “Heaven Forbid” is my favorite with great tracks like “Harvest Moon” and “I’d Like To See You In Black”. “Curse Of The Hidden Mirror” is not as good, but has some good tracks on it.

Sorry, I meant to say the last three studio albums I hadn't yet heard. Actually, I still need to get Ghost Story also. I love The Symbol Remains!

One of my favorites on Curse is The Old Gods Return. Stone of Love is good, as is Dance on Stilts.

^"The Old Gods Return" is one of my favorite Cult-tunes! As great as classic BÖC.

Not a real fan of Ghost Stories, but i love The Symbol Remains.
    Seeing them do The Alchemist as a live encore was great!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    ^"The Old Gods Return" is one of my favorite Cult-tunes! As great as classic BÖC.
    Agree, that is a great track.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Not a real fan of Ghost Stories, but i love The Symbol Remains.
    Seeing them do The Alchemist as a live encore was great!
    "Ghost Stories" has grown on me with further listens. I don't think it is a great B.O.C. album, but I like it more now than when I first bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Ghost Stories" has grown on me with further listens. I don't think it is a great B.O.C. album, but I like it more now than when I first bought it.
    It wasn't really intended to be a great BOC album by design though, it's cleaned up versions of songs they workshopped, but never formally recorded for release. So it's an odds & ends type of album, which by its nature isn't going to be as cohesive as The Symbol Remains, or any of their other studio releases. I think that point has been lost to many folks online (not responding to you here), who say it's simply not very good. I just think they don't really understand the concept.

I really like it as well, for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    It wasn't really intended to be a great BOC album by design though, it's cleaned up versions of songs they workshopped, but never formally recorded for release. So it's an odds & ends type of album, which by its nature isn't going to be as cohesive as The Symbol Remains, or any of their other studio releases. I think that point has been lost to many folks online (not responding to you here), who say it's simply not very good. I just think they don't really understand the concept.

I really like it as well, for what it is.
    Yup, I am very much aware of the history of the material, so my expectations were not high. When I first got it I was not all that impressed, but I kept going back to it. I am to the point that I really enjoy it for what it is.