Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: House Of The Dragon discussion thread

I liked it a lot. I think the fact that it may have a narrower focus than GOT did will be a benefit. My early prediction: Daemon Targaryen will become more hero than heel by series end, kind of like Tyrion Lannister.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I liked it a lot. I think the fact that it may have a narrower focus than GOT did will be a benefit. My early prediction: Daemon Targaryen will become more hero than heel by series end, kind of like Tyrion Lannister.
    I'm thinking that if Daemon has a character arc like that, it would be more similar to Jaime Lannister than Tyrion.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm thinking that if Daemon has a character arc like that, it would be more similar to Jaime Lannister than Tyrion.
    That's what I was thinking
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    The key to the large fan base of GOT was that besides the effects, there were multiple interesting characters spread out in multiple Kingdoms/Civilizations and parallel stories in each one of them.

But in this first episode of HOTD, it was only Westeros and featured the Targaryens. Hopefully that will change as the story evolves and brings new landscapes and mysteries to the GOT lore.
    For now, I'm in too.

Dracarys!
    True, although in the opening episode they did brief introductions of Barathians, a Stark, and a man from Dorne, so I suspect some of the other houses will play roles in this series as well.

That young knight that bested Daemon is certainly going to come into play as the series moves on, the Hightowers will be prominent, and Velaryon, The Sea Snake looks like he means business. Oh, and there's a problem with pirates off the southeastern shore? It is a narrower scope but there's a lot of cards to be played.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yes, of course. I always got the two confused. They were brothers, after all.

Solid second episode. Loved the scene at Dragonstone with badass Rhaneyra showing up. Also great to see the opening title sequence restored.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Another not too shitty episode.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Solid second episode. Loved the scene at Dragonstone with badass Rhaneyra showing up. Also great to see the opening title sequence restored.
    I do wish they used a new main theme though.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Two solid first episodes. I agree that it will be nice if there aren't quite so many characters to follow.
    <sig out of order>

Guess we wouldn't have as much of a story if the King married the Lady Leanna, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That was the best scene of the episode. I was noticing that the in episode soundtrack is incorporating more Zimmeresque touches than usual. Droning, industrial sections as opposed to leit motif themes Djawadi used in GOT.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I thought a separate thread would be appropriate for those of us who want to discuss the episodes without worrying about spoilers in the general TV thread.
    So glad you announced that in the general thread.

I will more than likely watch this through the end of the series because of how much I liked GoT – including the last season. But so far I'm left a little underwhelmed by HotD. Maybe it's because I liked keeping track of the number of characters and convoluted storylines in GoT.

The best part for me, so far, was Rhaenyra showing up at Dragonstone on her dragon and getting the egg back from Daemon. She reminds me a lot of Daenerys. I like her.

I also really like Otto Hightower, played by Rhys Ifans. I've seen Ifans in two TV shows – Elementary and Berlin Station – and while he's very good, his character in both was unlikable. I'm glad he's likable in this. Altho I suspect he'll turn out to be the most Machiavellian.

Ser Criston Cole, the guy who beat Daemon at the jousting tournament, I suspect will prove to be instrumental to Rhaenyra's story arc and will be a trusted companion.

Rhaenyra's best friend, Alicent, I thought was likable, too.

Still, I miss Emilia Clarke and Maisie Williams.

--------------------

Apparently, HBO renewed the show for a second season after only the first episode aired. So that's good news.

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    One site that was in my feed thought it was too brutal...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Guess we wouldn't have as much of a story if the King married the Lady [Laena], right?
    Kinda depends on how that played out, wouldn't it?

--------------------

BTW, guys, don't look up the characters' names on Wikipedia if you want to avoid spoilers. I accidentally discovered who Laena ends up marrying.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Yeah I'm trying to do research without hitting spoilers, fortunately the sites I've used so far have big warnings before I go too far.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The best part for me, so far, was Rhaenyra showing up at Dragonstone on her dragon and getting the egg back from Daemon. She reminds me a lot of Daenerys. I like her.
    Agreed. But I hope they begin to give her a more distinguished character and don't keep her as a Daenerys stand-in.

I also really like Otto Hightower, played by Rhys Ifans. I've seen Ifans in two TV shows – Elementary and Berlin Station – and while he's very good, his character in both was unlikable. I'm glad he's likable in this. Altho I suspect he'll turn out to be the most Machiavellian.
    When he's done with this role, he can play Mike Rutherford in a Genesis biopic.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah I'm trying to do research without hitting spoilers, fortunately the sites I've used so far have big warnings before I go too far.
    Please feel free to share links.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

In GOT half of the characters would be dead by now :-) Let us see how they handle the narrower set of protagonists...

Banned
    ... But so far I'm left a little underwhelmed by HotD. ...
    I feel the same, although it had it's moments. So far, the writing and casting are not so great in my book but I'm hoping it picks up steam. The sets and CGI look fabulous, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    I feel the same, although it had it's moments. So far, the writing and casting are not so great in my book but I'm hoping it picks up steam. The sets and CGI look fabulous, so there's that.
    I agree...especially with the casting so far. Slow going, but that's to be expected. Very cool dragon scene that's been discussed here. Lookin' forward to see what's the deal with Mr Crabby Patties.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Another good episode, I'm very pleased with this series. WOW, Daemon is good at outrunning multiple volleys of arrows!

I just realized what this iteration is missing. There is absolutely no one with a sense of humor. I'm not expecting a reboot of Tyrion, but come on. Everyone here is just grim, grim, grim.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I just realized what this iteration is missing. There is absolutely no one with a sense of humor. I'm not expecting a reboot of Tyrion, but come on. Everyone here is just grim, grim, grim.
    Humor wasn't invented yet ....
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Last week: " House of the Dragon Episode 2 officially introduces a chilling new villain to the world of Westeros: Craghas Drahar, aka the Crabfeeder"

This week: That exciting new villain is gone in Episode 4. Far too soon, just when it was getting interesting. At least George RR Martin wrote and killed off the Night King until the last episodes of GOT.

Still struggling with the casting and characters for the most part. Nobody is roping me in...just not doin it for me. And that showdown with crab guy was pretty unspectacular.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I enjoyed the episode. We'll see how people develop. It could use some humor.
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    This episode had a couple chuckle moments for me. The guy getting squished by Daemon's dragon, the minstrel being bossed around, and I thought the king's attempt to kill the deer was pretty funny.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.