Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: House Of The Dragon discussion thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Am I the only one to have been a little confused about what exactly happened at the orgy? (I'm sure confusion is the sign of a good orgy.) It was a little hard (!) to tell how far things went, and it seemed like someone hit what's his name, but then it didn't seem like that was supposed to have happened. When Rhaenyra explained what happened, I couldn't tell if she was telling the truth or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Am I the only one to have been a little confused about what exactly happened at the orgy? (I'm sure confusion is the sign of a good orgy.) It was a little hard (!) to tell how far things went, and it seemed like someone hit what's his name, but then it didn't seem like that was supposed to have happened. When Rhaenyra explained what happened, I couldn't tell if she was telling the truth or not.
    Things got heated but then Daemon took off and sought out a whore. Rhaenyra was hot and bothered and stormed home, where she seduced Ser Cristan. She was not telling the truth that she 'remained a maiden', and also said that Daemon never touched her, which wasn't entirely true either. Either way, her father didn't believe her, because he sent some sort of abortion cocktail to her room.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'll bet last night's episode was Jerol's favorite, so far.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Things got heated but then Daemon took off and sought out a whore. Rhaenyra was hot and bothered and stormed home, where she seduced Ser Cristan. She was not telling the truth that she 'remained a maiden', and also said that Daemon never touched her, which wasn't entirely true either. Either way, her father didn't believe her, because he sent some sort of abortion cocktail to her room.
    That's how I saw it, too.

What I wasn't entirely sure of was why Daemon seduced her in the first place and why she reciprocated, considering there's never been any foreshadowing, that I recall. However, I was especially left scratching my head when he abruptly left. Why do you think he was he toying with her?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Why do you think he was he toying with her?
    She's the current heir, and he knows the realm won't accept her. It's all about finding a way to claim the throne, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, I think he's making a power play, knowing she is destined for the throne. Hence his request to marry her.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I took it as Daemon's impotence cropped up again and he physically couldn't do it. Or maybe it was all just a play for the iron throne (which was definitely his main motivation for this episode regardless imo)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

That's how I saw it, too.

What I wasn't entirely sure of was why Daemon seduced her in the first place and why she reciprocated, considering there's never been any foreshadowing, that I recall. However, I was especially left scratching my head when he abruptly left. Why do you think he was he toying with her?
    The whole affair was planned to falsify her defilement. Daemon showed up to gloat, not show loyalty, and to besmirch the reputation of our fair young princess. This was a slow burn, but important episode with deep character building scenes.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

What I wasn't entirely sure of was why Daemon seduced her in the first place and why she reciprocated, considering there's never been any foreshadowing, that I recall.
    My wife asked a couple of times, well before the brothel scene, if they were sleeping together....just based on how they acted around each other.
    <sig out of order>

A friend says that Daemon's whore, Mysaria, is the Hand's confidential source. Is this obvious to anyone else? Makes sense to me, but I don't recall anything specifically portraying that?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    A friend says that Daemon's whore, Mysaria, is the Hand's confidential source. Is this obvious to anyone else? Makes sense to me, but I don't recall anything specifically portraying that?
    Wasn't obvious to me, but I can easily see it now.

For some reason I thought it was the boy who followed Rhaenyra when she left the brothel and later comes to visit Hightower....or I assume that was the same boy.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    For some reason I thought it was the boy who followed Rhaenyra when she left the brothel and later comes to visit Hightower....or I assume that was the same boy.
    Pretty sure that's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Pretty sure that's what happened.
    yes--the boy sitting outside the brothel was the messenger. But possible that Mysaria is also part of Otto's network of spies.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Mysaria was also saying something about needing to go into a different line of work. And she doesn't seem to hold Daemon in high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Right. Definitely what I remember, too. However....

Mysaria was also saying something about needing to go into a different line of work. And she doesn't seem to hold Daemon in high regard.
    This makes sense, as well.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    But possible that Mysaria is also part of Otto's network of spies.
    Yes, that certainly seems possible or even probable.
    <sig out of order>

I thought it was apparent and that Daemon and her were conspiring.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Wasn't the boy that came into the room at the end of the scene with Mysaria the same spy kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Wasn't the boy that came into the room at the end of the scene with Mysaria the same spy kid?
    I just checked. The boy who followed Rhaenyra is the same who visited Otto Hightower, bringing a message from "the White Worm". And in the beginning of the next scene between Daemon and Mysaria, the same boy comes in and gives her money, which I assume is the payment he received from Otto.

Good catch!

Rhaenyra proved in this episode that she is not the little lamb she appears to be. I also thought that Daemon took her for a wild ride to seduce her but his impotencies got in the way and she ended up in bed with Ser Cristan. But it seems that Daemon's interest wasn't really sexually motivated but was trying to discredit her reputation so that would help his own cause to become heir as he thought he was.

But for me, all these erotic ventures had collateral damage as Otto was stripped of his "hand of the King" status (pin) and thus creates ruptures and animosities within the monarchy and makes it more interesting of what's to come. Kind of when the Stark brothers and sisters started to fracture and go their own different paths.

I think Daemon was also freaked by how into it she was. The reason for his impotence and anger in the moment. She took his power out of it.

I didn't pick up on the impotence vibe. It just didn't occur to me, I initially thought he wanted to frustrate her by leaving her hanging (whatever the female equivalent of 'blue balls' is).

I didn't pick up on the impotence vibe. It just didn't occur to me, I initially thought he wanted to frustrate her by leaving her hanging (whatever the female equivalent of 'blue balls' is).
    I didn't attach any impotence angle to the sequence either, but in the accompanying "Inside the Episode" extra the showrunners discuss it. I find that watching these helps clear up some of the plot points that seem to elude me occasionally.

Okay, so I wasn't entirely convinced of everyone's explanations for why Daemon shut things down with Rhaenyra. I then ran across this:

...in a behind-the-scenes video, showrunner Miguel Sapochnik states that Daemon rejects Rhaenyra because of his impotence and inability to perform. This impotence stems from a sense of guilt on Daemon’s part, as he realizes that it’s morally wrong to sleep with his own niece.

Going further than that, it’s also stated in the video that Daemon’s intention was to shock and disgust Rhaenyra. However, once she gets over the shock and expresses interest and enjoyment, Daemon has nothing left and feels like he’s lost control of the situation. That loss of control also leads to his impotence, and results in him storming off quickly and leaving her there.

Having just rewatched the scene, I can see it now. And his frustration manifested in him slapping the wall, which confused me the first time.

This still doesn't explain why Rhaenyra was willing to along with it. But I noticed this time that she seemed titillated at one point, and given her age, it got her juices flowing, so to speak. I assume, then, rather than sleeping with a stranger, she was willing to go along with the advances of Daemon, someone she knows and trusts, especially given the history of the Targaryen family... and of royalty in the real world where there are plenty of examples of marriages between siblings or uncles and nieces (aka avunculate marriages); you know, to keep the bloodline "pure".