Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: House Of The Dragon discussion thread

As one of the annoying people who read all the books, I won't spoil anything re: what's to come, but if anyone is interested, Joffrey (Baratheon/Lannister) explains the fate of one of these main characters when he is taking Margaery through the sept of Baelor in GoT season 3 (while Olenna Tyrell, who later murders Joffrey, and Cersei, who later murders Margaery, walk and talk behind them).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Good episode last night, especially the scenes with Larys Strong (the 'Clubfoot'). That last scene was brilliant! I could have done without the realistic birthing sound effects at the beginning though. And although the new Rhaenyra is a good actor, I don't see why they had to change her. She only aged 10 years, they couldn't have done that with makeup? People keep talking about what fantastic casting it was, but to me she doesn't look anything like the younger one. I find it a tad distracting, though I'm sure I'll get used to it. Alicent, on the other hand, is almost a dead ringer for the younger one (so again, why was the change necessary?). Everyone else gets to continue playing their characters (apart from Aegon, obviously, who was a toddler and is now a young man - played by David Tennant's son BTW) so it's a shame to me that Millie Alcock is gone.

I love the way the story is shaping up. It's going to go by too quickly now from here on out, I think!
    I got a little bit confused near the end as to what was going on, but really enjoyed the episode. Maybe it is just me, but I seem to sometime have a hard time keeping track of who is who, especially with the new cast members.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I got a little bit confused near the end as to what was going on, but really enjoyed the episode. Maybe it is just me, but I seem to sometime have a hard time keeping track of who is who, especially with the new cast members.
    That whole thing with Rhaenyra's and Alicent's kids took me a little while to figure out.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Alicent has grown very bitter towards Rhaenyra and was angry that nobody will acknowledge the elephant in the room (Rhaenyra's clearly illegitimate children, sired by Harwin Strong and obviously not the darker-skinned and gay Laenor Velayron). When she turned to Larys Strong, a.k.a. 'The Clubfoot' (Harwin's brother) for advice, he assembled a rag-tag team of criminals from the dungeons, giving them their freedom in exchange for having their tongues cut out so they could not tell anyone what they were about to do. He has them set fire to the keep (in Harrenhal, which you may remember from GoT when Twyin Lannister set up base there and Arya Stark was his servant 'boy'), burning alive his brother and his father (Lord Lyonel Strong, the King's hand whose resignation Viserys earlier refused). It's all rather Shakespearean!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I thought Daemon was impotent, is he the father?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Alicent has grown very bitter towards Rhaenyra and was angry that nobody will acknowledge the elephant in the room (Rhaenyra's clearly illegitimate children, sired by Harwin Strong and obviously not the darker-skinned and gay Laenor Velayron). When she turned to Larys Strong, a.k.a. 'The Clubfoot' (Harwin's brother) for advice, he assembled a rag-tag team of criminals from the dungeons, giving them their freedom in exchange for having their tongues cut out so they could not tell anyone what they were about to do. He has them set fire to the keep (in Harrenhal, which you may remember from GoT when Twyin Lannister set up base there and Arya Stark was his servant 'boy'), burning alive his brother and his father (Lord Lyonel Strong, the King's hand whose resignation Viserys earlier refused). It's all rather Shakespearean!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I thought Daemon was impotent, is he the father?
    No... Harwin Strong is the father. Which is why Ser Cristan was able to rile him up so much while training the boys in swordsmanship, first by favouring Aegon and encouraging him to show Rhaenyra's boys no mercy, then by insinuating that Harwin showed unusual interest, 'almost like a father'.

When Daemon is told of the birth of Rhaenyra's new son, he dryly asks if he - like his older brothers - bears a 'striking but coincidental resemblance' to Harwin.

I get that but Daemon now has 2 daughters with his wife, I thought he was impotent.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

I get that but Daemon now has 2 daughters with his wife, I thought he was impotent.
    I don't think he is permanently impotent. It just "arises" (pun?) sometimes. I think it happened when he was trying to get it on with his neice because she was getting into it. That "ruined the moment" for him and took away his sense of power.

Thanks!
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

Right, sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking but I can see it's been answered!

He has them set fire to the keep (in Harrenhal, which you may remember from GoT when Twyin Lannister set up base there and Arya Stark was his servant 'boy'), burning alive his brother and his father (Lord Lyonel Strong, the King's hand whose resignation Viserys earlier refused). It's all rather Shakespearean!
    This part of the show could've used a few more seconds on the screen. It took me a minute to figure out who was being burned and where they were. I could have missed something, but the last I remember was when they left and the criminals were in pursuit. Next thing I know somebody's getting torched.
    <sig out of order>

As for the new cast members, I guess I mostly agree with you guys. Incidentally, there's eight year's difference between the two actresses playing Rhaenyra and the two playing Alicent.

That scene where Daemon's wife, Laena, ordered her dragon to kill her was pretty interesting. What a way to commit suicide.

I couldn't remember exactly what her name was and when I looked her up discovered three actresses have played her. I then I ran across this. No wonder I've/we've been confused about who some of the characters are.

WRT Laena, I have no recollection whatsoever of the middle actress. And how about the one married to Daemon? She gets to appear in one whole episode before they offed her.

I'm not sure I remember Laenor as a boy, either. And why did they feel it necessary to have two "grown up" Laenors?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh, and the kid playing Aegon looks like he's the guitarist in a heavy metal mockumentary.

As one of the annoying people who read all the books, I won't spoil anything re: what's to come, but if anyone is interested...
    I quit reading your post at that point. lol

It's all rather Shakespearean!
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    This part of the show could've used a few more seconds on the screen. It took me a minute to figure out who was being burned and where they were.
    Yeah, I didn't feel that whole scene was directed all that well. The problem I had was that I didn't pickup right away on the fact that it was Larys' cohort who set the fire.

Another thing I've noticed lately in shows and movies, in general, is that there might be a note or a text a character has to read and they'll show it but not long enough for me to read it. Why even show it if they're not going to leave it on screen long enough for a person to read? Maybe they figure people will rewind and hit pause.

As for that scene (or others) in HotD, it could also be a strategy to generate buzz and get people talking about it on social media. Who TF knows?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Credit to the Leana actresses. They, to me, really look like different stages of the same woman. Leanor doesn't necessarily look like the same character, but his adult actor just nailed the part, IMO.

I'm still not yet sold on the new actresses portraying Rheanyra and Alicent, but we'll see how that progresses.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm still not yet sold on the new actresses portraying Rheanyra and Alicent, but we'll see how that progresses.
    Alicent I like just fine; I feel like I'm watching the same character. The same cannot be said for Rhaenyra unfortunately, who to my eyes simply does not look like the same person, whether aged 10 years or otherwise. And that's nothing against her acting ability, as I think she's quite good. But I really wish they had kept Milly.

Banned
    Yes, Rhaenyra certainly doesn't look like the same person, but IMO opinion the new actor was excellent in her series debut and her acting and gravitas overall is a plus. I also think this last episode was the best so far and it feels to me like it's picking up steam.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I think the older Rhaenyra works. Maybe not 10 years...more like 20, but still...I do miss Milly, but I do think all the new actors were good choices thus far.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

The only character where I think they nailed the casting is Alicent. It's too bad I don't like her character. lol
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The only character where I think they nailed the casting is Alicent. It's too bad I don't like her character. lol
    I don't think you're supposed to like the character. Which is a testament to the actor's portrayal.

It was cool to see some dragon action...that's about where I'm at.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I don't think you're supposed to like the character.
    <shrugs> Boyd Crowder was a smarmy, sleazy, unlikable character and I loved him.

My feeling is that this episode felt like three episodes compressed into one. The three criminals set upon Harrenhal - that tale alone was worth at least a full 20-30 minutes with the tension ratcheting up. Same with Daemon's wife committing suicide by dragon. And Daemon's penis seems to have gotten over its inability to get it across the goal line? That alone needed some more elaboration. SHOW YOUR WORK! This shit reeks of the last season of GOT. These moments have to be earned, motherfuckers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    <shrugs> Boyd Crowder was a smarmy, sleazy, unlikable character and I loved him.
    Now THERE was a well-written show. So many glorious scumbags but Boyd was special.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All the good comments were already taken! But man Alicent's kids are super creepy. Like children of the corn crossed with the demon seed and imagining the texas chainsaw massacre family as kids.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My feeling is that this episode felt like three episodes compressed into one. The three criminals set upon Harrenhal - that tale alone was worth at least a full 20-30 minutes with the tension ratcheting up. Same with Daemon's wife committing suicide by dragon. And Daemon's penis seems to have gotten over its inability to get it across the goal line? That alone needed some more elaboration. SHOW YOUR WORK! This shit reeks of the last season of GOT. These moments have to be earned, motherfuckers.
    I would agree that a ten year time jump was too much, but as far as I understand it that is basically what happened in the book. I would have liked an episode in between to see the fallout from the wedding/how Daemon and Laena got together and fleshed these things out a bit more, but this still is way better than the last season of GOT imo.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.