Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: House Of The Dragon discussion thread

That was interesting.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    That was interesting.
    Indeed. The scene with Alicent demanding reparations was quite riveting. Great episode IMO!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Agreed. I especially loved that Rhaenyra and Daemon got married. The only thing, tho, was that they kissed at the end, after cutting their lower lips. I thought, "ouch."
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Agreed. I especially loved that Rhaenyra and Daemon got married. The only thing, tho, was that they kissed at the end, after cutting their lower lips. I thought, "ouch."
    I thought 'ouch' as they were cutting them! And now I want to know how Viserys will react to that marriage.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Wonderful episode again. This series is a home run as far as I'm concerned. I could come up with some niggles but overall everything thus far has been great, chief amongst it the casting/acting.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    And now I want to know how Viserys will react to that marriage.
    I'm not sure he'll be coherent enough to even care. He's a goner.

I was getting frustrated in that opening funeral scene, because there was a lot of subtle stuff going on and I knew that I wasn't picking up on everything. I just don't know the children that well. But thankfully that was all fleshed out in that later scene.

Otto took a turn that I wasn't expecting. I mean, I knew what his goals were, but him being so out front about it was surprising. I was expecting him to chastise Alicent for her actions. I was also surprised that he became The Hand again. There was no one else available?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Otto took a turn that I wasn't expecting. I mean, I knew what his goals were, but him being so out front about it was surprising. I was expecting him to chastise Alicent for her actions. I was also surprised that he became The Hand again. There was no one else available?
    I loved the episode for the most part, but agree Otto becoming the hand again could have been fleshed out a bit. This series does slow down and speed up a lot with some stories given intricate details and others glossed over.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I loved the episode for the most part, but agree Otto becoming the hand again could have been fleshed out a bit. This series does slow down and speed up a lot with some stories given intricate details and others glossed over.
    Yeah, it's weird (to me) that some parts are fairly slow moving and then in the last 10 minutes a whole bunch of stuff happens. I had to back up and watch it again to make sure of what I was seeing.
    <sig out of order>

Glad to see it's not just me that sometimes has to rewind and rewatch to figure out what I just saw. I need a scorecard.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Glad to see it's not just me that sometimes has to rewind and rewatch to figure out what I just saw. I need a scorecard.
    Me 3. I also usually go to YouTube and watch show recaps (Jeremy Jahns is a good one), and always find things that completely passed me by.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Love it
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

The only issue I had with the last episode was that when Daemon whispered to someone while outside, the ocean and wind sounds were so loud I couldn't understand anything he was saying.

Wow, I loved that episode tonight. Outstanding! There's only two episodes left. This opening season has exceeded my expectations by a long shot. And Paddy Considine deserves an award for that tour-de-force performance IMO. Brilliantly shot episode.

Oh, and this made me LOL:

hotd.jpg
    Last edited by Progatron; 10-09-2022 at 10:52 PM.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Yeah, if Paddy doesnt win every award possible there is no sense in having award shows. Also, the entire cast is amazing. Whoever casts this show should cast every show created from now on.

What another great episode.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    The only issue I had with the last episode was that when Daemon whispered to someone while outside, the ocean and wind sounds were so loud I couldn't understand anything he was saying.
    Yup, same here. I loved the episode, but sometimes it was hard to tell what people were saying. I may watch it with subtitles from now on because I think I may have missed some subtle stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yup, same here. I loved the episode, but sometimes it was hard to tell what people were saying. I may watch it with subtitles from now on because I think I may have missed some subtle stuff
    I always watch it (and most shows nowadays) with subtitles. These Targaryens have large families of similarly named people, and you might find it easier to distinguish who is being referred to if you see their names on screen.

Still thinking about last night's episode, which might be the best of the series thus far.

I pretty much watch all recorded TV with subtitles now. Sometimes you catch things that aren't readily apparent without them. Sometimes the actors stray a little from the script, which makes it interesting.

Yes, great episode last night. Next week should be intense.

We also had last week's episode on while doing dishes, etc., preparing for this week's episode, and I was reminded at how annoyed I was that none of the adults had any concern at all that Aemond stole a dragon. Seems to me like that would be a big deal, but no one cared!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

A very tense episode and hopefully, that was the last fucking time jump. Paddy is incredible and Matt Smith is so enjoying being a badass. You'd think that Alicent's brats would kiss the hem of his garment in hopes that some of that swagger and menace would be passed on to them. But nope, they're just spoiled princelings. May they die fitting deaths, like Joffrey Baratheon.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That scene where Viserys' crown fell off was an accident, and Matt Smith went off script to pick it up and place it back on his head while they kept filming!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That scene where Viserys' crown fell off was an accident, and Matt Smith went off script to pick it up and place it back on his head while they kept filming!
    Wow, cool!

I can't believe no one is talking about the big incident when Daemon cut off most of Vaemond's head and then said, "let him keep his tongue." For me, that was the highlight of the whole season, so far. I even rewound it and watched it a couple more times.

I was also pleased at how Rhaenys accepted Rhaenyra's offer, solidifying the latter's power against Alicent & Co. You know, Rhaenys comes across to me as the most practical of the lot.

As for Alicent, whenever she comes onscreen, I'm always reminded of how beautiful she is, especially with her auburn hair.

Ser Cristin has become such a dick, hasn't he?

BTW, there are really subtle bits of humor in this show. For instance, in the beach scene between Rhaenyra and Daemon from the previous episode, Rhaenyra mentions how she and Laenor tried at conceiving a child. She then says, "we performed our duty as best we could. But to no avail." I took that to mean Laenor couldn't keep it up, since he's gay.

And then in this week's episode Alicent's faux pas at calling the guard Arryk when his name is Erryk. I rewatched it because I was confused at first since it didn't sound like she said the wrong name. The difference in pronunciation between the two is pretty subtle. I don't know, I found that humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I'm sure that was intentional. Hitchcock used the same device many times. Like others, I usually watch with CC on but I can't recall if what he said was shown in the CC, not that I remember what you're talking about, specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I was reminded at how annoyed I was that none of the adults had any concern at all that Aemond stole a dragon. Seems to me like that would be a big deal, but no one cared!
    Because (a) Aemond hadn't gotten one of his own, yet - remember how the other kids teased him about it? - and (b) from my understanding dragons won't let just anyone ride them; a dragon and its rider are bonded at very young ages. The fact that Vhagar let Aemond ride her I thought was significant.

I can't believe no one is talking about the big incident when Daemon cut off most of Vaemond's head and then said, "let him keep his tongue." For me, that was the highlight of the whole season, so far. I even rewound it and watched it a couple more times.

And then in this week's episode Alicent's faux pas at calling the guard Arryk when his name is Erryk. I rewatched it because I was confused at first since it didn't sound like she said the wrong name. The difference in pronunciation between the two is pretty subtle. I don't know, I found that humorous.
    Yeah, that was a big 'woah' when Daemon separated Vaemond's head... at the jawline!

There are very subtle moments of humour, I agree, but nothing laugh-out-loud funny thus far. Alicent mistaking one of the twins for the other isn't exactly a riot, but at least it's something! It's *very* serious overall, and I wonder if audience feedback will prompt them to inject a bit more light-heartedness into the next seasons. I've chuckled a few times at Lord Beesbury at the council meetings (that actor has been in a ton of stuff, I always think of him as the father in Fleabag).

Banned
    I thought that was an excellent, well-written episode with some great ensemble acting. It was touching to see the old king try one last time to mend fences amidst his terrible suffering and touching to watch him go "gentle into that good night". Great, compelling stuff. After some initial hesitation, I'm a fan.

Daemon cut off most of Vaemond's head and then said, "let him keep his tongue."
    That was an extraordinary precise head chop by Daemon. Worthy of rewind.

I think Aemond and Daemon are going to be locked into a sword fight for all the ages at some point. They admire each other's ruthlessness but they're on opposite sides and sooner or later, it is going to be a question of who wields Valerian steel better.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Cracks me up when I see Targaryens traveling by boat.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."