Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: House Of The Dragon discussion thread

House Of The Dragon discussion thread

I thought a separate thread would be appropriate for those of us who want to discuss the episodes without worrying about spoilers in the general TV thread.

It all starts tonight! Finally, something for us GOT fans to sink our teeth into. Let's hope they maintain the quality of the original series (barring the final season). With this one focused mainly on the Targaryens, I suspect a smaller range of characters, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the writing is solid. From the glimpses I've seen so far, it certainly looks as good as GOT did. And Ramin Djawadi's score is familiar and welcome too.

We bought a nice bottle of Barolo which we will decant a couple of hours before the show airs. Getting excited! All quiet in the realm...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Dunno if I will join the discussion, but I plan on watching that sucker tonight.

Between this, Rings of Power and the recently ddoped Sandman, we're living in freakin' Fantasy Land.

Good thing we're a buncha nerds! It totally works out for us.

I'm hesitant with the huge letdown last seasot of GoT, but I'll check this out. A smaller range of characters would be welcome because my pea brain struggles to keep up.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

It was cool. Watch it.

That did not disappoint. A lot to take in, and I think we will give it a second watch tomorrow. Back to the agony of waiting a week between episodes! I'm just glad it is of an obvious high standard.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I liked it. One site that was in my feed thought it was too brutal but hello, did a child get pushed out of a window after witnessing incest? Nope. Just some brutal tournament and City Watch mayhem. OK, maybe the childbirth scene was a little tense. But by GoT standards, it wasn't overwhelming. I suppose I should root against Daemon, but Matt Smith is so fun to watch.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I liked it. One site that was in my feed thought it was too brutal but hello, did a child get pushed out of a window after witnessing incest? Nope. Just some brutal tournament and City Watch mayhem. OK, maybe the childbirth scene was a little tense. But by GoT standards, it wasn't overwhelming. I suppose I should root against Daemon, but Matt Smith is so fun to watch.
    Daemon is definitely going to be the character you love to hate. Or love to love, who knows? I liked Jaime Lannister right from the first episode of GOT, so...

You gotta love 'the' dagger making a foreshadowing appearance too.
    Last edited by Progatron; 08-21-2022 at 11:45 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This time they got right to the castration!

I thought it was pretty good. No wine for me, just Milk of the Poppy…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No wine for me, just Milk of the Poppy…
    Damn, you were feeling even better than I was!

I watched it and will watch all of them, but I gotta say, I'm not digging ANY of the characters...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I watched it and will watch all of them, but I gotta say, I'm not digging ANY of the characters...
    I did as well. But I'm into the visual effects most of all, not the sex or drama. And since it's about The Targaryens, it's about the Dragons, that's enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I'm not digging ANY of the characters...
    Yeah. Apart from maybe the guy who won the jousting and what's her face's personal guard, I liked nobody. Hoping that changes or I may not stick around. The great visuals can only go so far.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Last night I had a dream that I was eating dinner in my underwear. I call that dream "A Song of Ice and Fire." (I didn't know whoever's dream that was is what the title of Martin's series comes from! But I've still never seen the first episode of GoT.)

I'm still sore from the travesty that was the last season of GoT, assume they won't make the same mistakes again? Looking forward to watching this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I'm still sore from the travesty that was the last season of GoT, assume they won't make the same mistakes again? Looking forward to watching this evening.
    So far so good. It's a more focused world this time around, we aren't going across seas and meeting hundreds of characters. I think the story will be leaner overall and not require as many loose ends to tie up, so the potential for disaster is lessened.

We thoroughly enjoyed it. I really wanted to do a complete watch of GoT before this started (I really only started watching around Season 6 - yeah, yeah, I know. But that's when my GF and I started dating, she was really into it, and I didn't have HBO. Sue me ), so that I would catch all of the references. But I knew enough to welcome back the feel of Westeros. Didn't realize how much I missed it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We thoroughly enjoyed it. I really wanted to do a complete watch of GoT before this started (I really only started watching around Season 6 - yeah, yeah, I know.
    I hate to say it, but you missed the five best seasons by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If they do it right, you'll despise him sometimes and root for him other times. And vice versa.

I was not disappointed. It'll take me a while to grow attached to a character or two, and conversely begin to dislike one, two or five. The dragons will be cool and I already like the dragon handler guys. No holds barred for sure on the tournament and birthing scenes, which is par for the course and not unwelcome. Like many of you have mentioned already, leaner story, fewer characters and lands, will be great for me. My brain is a pea on Klonk's pea brain.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I enjoyed it, I think it's going to be be great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I enjoyed it, I think it's going to be be great.
    I agree.

Just had the chance to watch it tonight. Holy shit, I loved every minute of it and the casting is amazing. I think this is going to be good!

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Count me as a fan. Within the first 10 minutes got that GOT tingle. (the good GOT, of course).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

The key to the large fan base of GOT was that besides the effects, there were multiple interesting characters spread out in multiple Kingdoms/Civilizations and parallel stories in each one of them.

But in this first episode of HOTD, it was only Westeros and featured the Targaryens. Hopefully that will change as the story evolves and brings new landscapes and mysteries to the GOT lore.
    For now, I'm in too.

Dracarys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post

But in this first episode of HOTD, it was only Westeros and featured the Targaryens. Hopefully that will change as the story evolves and brings new landscapes and mysteries to the GOT lore.
    As previously stated, I'm not the hardcore fan that some others here are, but I got the impression that this is mostly about the Targaryans? Hence the name of the show?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally