Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rings of Power discussion thread

PS, the Khazad-dum scene was really well done too....great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    PS, the Khazad-dum scene was really well done too....great stuff.
    Yeah, that had some inventiveness to it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Only watched one episode so far having been at ProgDay. Will try and catch up to participate in the thread. I enjoyed the first episode.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I read that there were strict restrictions on using anything from the Silmarillion as well. Amazon's rights only extend to the appendices. The showrunners worked with the estate on what liberties they could and couldn't take in what characters could be used.[/COLOR]
    I was thinking about the vague contents of the Silmarillion but would say those restrictions could be because the estate has committed them to Peter Jackson who has not taken the initiative to start production yet (my guess). I read it back in '75.

I also had watched the first episode with some disappointment but after going into the second, I am all in. Now we have Orcs and Dwarves mixed with the Elves (that I do not find interesting but) and it looks like Balrog is also going to be featured. Oh and the guy from the meteor (who is a Giant) does not seem to be sauron as some predicted. Visuals are amazing, wonder if the location is also New Zealand (?).

Banned
    ^^^ Yes, my understanding is that it was filmed 100% in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I didn't think Gil-galad looked particularly old, in fact I thought he seemed on the younger side. So I was just trying to say that his appearance seemed appropriate, given the slow aging process of Elves.

I don't read much these days although I hope to change that someday. I have often considered reading LotR and the Silmarillion yet again, but have had similar worries about invasive imagery.
    Brainfart. I meant "young."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Started the first Episode Twice.....fell asleep both times.....Will try again with the help of caffeine.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Can someone comment on the media reporting the huge negative response is only because of trolls and racists.
    Reading some of the reporting online, I'd thought Hitler's SS troops had risen from the grave, gotten wi-fi and smartphones and were carpetbombing Amazon with negative reviews because of the diversity of the actors in the show.
    I don't have Amazon Prime, so I didn't get to see any of the series so far.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Apparently you can't have a negative opinion about the casting without being considered a racist by some. And I don't doubt that there is some actual racist commentary out there. Personally, I don't have an issue with most of the casting - the actors either do a good job or not. I do think it's a bit funny seeing people argue about "history" and "evolution" when it comes to a made-up fantasy land where magic is a thing. Okay, Middle Earth is "based on" medieval Europe in some respects, but it's not actually set in medieval Europe. If I want to enjoy this series I have to get over the idea that it has to be tied to Tolkien canon to be good. That's what I think most critics are actually having a problem with.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Can someone comment on the media reporting the huge negative response is only because of trolls and racists.
    Reading some of the reporting online, I'd thought Hitler's SS troops had risen from the grave, gotten wi-fi and smartphones and were carpetbombing Amazon with negative reviews because of the diversity of the actors in the show.
    I don't have Amazon Prime, so I didn't get to see any of the series so far.
    You know, I first saw this a few months ago....I was on Amazon looking at the reviews of the last James Bond movie...there seemed to be some "dog-whistle" type comments that eventually focused on a Gay Q and a black woman becoming 007. Pages of stuff like that. So depressing that there are people like that who have the time to spread this stuff across the internet.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    You know, I first saw this a few months ago....I was on Amazon looking at the reviews of the last James Bond movie...there seemed to be some "dog-whistle" type comments that eventually focused on a Gay Q and a black woman becoming 007. Pages of stuff like that. So depressing that there are people like that who have the time to spread this stuff across the internet.
    There's so much of it I question how real it even is. Have you seen the conversation someone had with an AI a couple months ago? You'd think he was talking to an actual person. I wouldn't be surprised to find out every type of social media was 80% bots someday.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I hadn't heard about this but it doesn't surprise me.

Apparently you can't have a negative opinion about the casting without being considered a racist by some... Personally, I don't have an issue with most of the casting - the actors either do a good job or not.
    I agree, mostly. I completely understand the criticism of Hollywood but, at the risk of offending someone, I also feel Hollywood has gone a little overboard with the diversity issue.

As for the The Rings of Power in particular, Harfoots "were browner of skin, smaller, and shorter, and they were beardless and bootless..." (from the prologue to The Fellowship of the Ring). So far, we've only seen Harfoots in this show. If anyone's complaining about the "race" of the hobbits, you have to wonder.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

There's so much of it I question how real it even is. Have you seen the conversation someone had with an AI a couple months ago?
    Are you talking about the guy from Apple or something else?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I hadn't heard about this but it doesn't surprise me.

I agree, mostly. I completely understand the criticism of Hollywood but, at the risk of offending someone, I also feel Hollywood has gone a little overboard with the diversity issue.

As for the The Rings of Power in particular, Harfoots "were browner of skin, smaller, and shorter, and they were beardless and bootless..." (from the prologue to The Fellowship of the Ring). So far, we've only seen Harfoots in this show. If anyone's complaining about the "race" of the hobbits, you have to wonder.
    I haven't run across posts that are blatantly racist myself and I refuse to go looking for that stuff, but apparently Ismael Cruz Córdova has experienced some racist hate mail for his involvement in the series. I guess some people out there are really invested in the notion that elves are white. I'm not sure they can be reasoned with.
    <sig out of order>

I guess some people out there are really invested in the notion that elves are white. I'm not sure they can be reasoned with.
    I agree. You can't reason with unreasonable attitudes.

Are you talking about the guy from Apple or something else?
    This was the Google guy.
    <sig out of order>

This was the Google guy.
    The guy who said their AI was sentient, right? Yeah, that's what I meant.

The guy who said their AI was sentient, right? Yeah, that's what I meant.
    Right. And then I believe he was fired.
    <sig out of order>

Right. And then I believe he was fired.
    He was. Their position was that he violated the employee NDA. Which he did, apparently. They also stated his claim that their chatbot was sentient was unfounded. Who knows?

I’m half way through episode 3. I can’t see 5 seasons. Visually a great job. It’s the writing that is tedious. Will give it a few more episodes. Still having a time staying awake waiting for something to happen.

I was little underwhelmed by last week's episode but last night's episode was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I’m half way through episode 3. I can’t see 5 seasons. Visually a great job. It’s the writing that is tedious. Will give it a few more episodes. Still having a time staying awake waiting for something to happen.
    It's not an action show.

It seems to be following the early GOT model a bit, with multiple threads introducing the story lines and characters that will make up the heart of the show going forward.

Finally watched last Friday's ep. The entire scene in the Orc trench was harrowing. I'm not paying attention much to the names of the directors but they know how to film an action scene. I also loved Galadriel nerding out in the House of Lore and her pet human kicking those bullies' asses. Some of the dialog clanks but on the whole, it works. The sets and costumes are still fascinating, such rich attention to detail.

Now on to Sunday's episode of Knights Who Say Fuck.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

How did others interpret the mountain erupting? Was that the "firing up" of Mount Doom?