Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Rings of Power discussion thread

I was under the impression that season 2 premiered today (Sunday). I was surfing Prime, yesterday, and there were the first three episodes of S2.

So I watched the final episode of S1, and then started S2. Wasn't able to make it through E1 without falling asleep.

Anyway, so rewatching the last episode of S1, it was pretty obvious that Halbrand is Sauron, which I didn't pick up on right away the first time.

So now the question is, who is the Istar? Saruman? Gandalf?
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

So now the question is, who is the Istar? Saruman? Gandalf?
    I wonder the same thing. They are playing with the lore quite a bit because the wizards that we know didn't come to Middle Earth until the beginning of the Third Age and they came by boat. I wonder if he's one of the blue wizards who went into the East; that would line up with the lore.

Gods, Galadriel is just gorgeous.

The opening sequence of Sauron's origins was riveting and the scene with the three rings near the end was really well done.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I wonder the same thing. They are playing with the lore quite a bit because the wizards that we know didn't come to Middle Earth until the beginning of the Third Age and they came by boat. I wonder if he's one of the blue wizards who went into the East; that would line up with the lore.
    Ah. So it could be Alatar or Pallando.

Gods, Galadriel is just gorgeous.
    Yes, but the way she talks, where she often hardly moves her lips, is starting to annoy me.

I also couldn't quite make sense of why she was so tight-lipped (ha!) when it came to outing Halbrand. It's a plot device I usually find frustrating. Indeed, there were two in the last episode of S1. Galadriel not telling Elrond and Celembrimbor about Sauron, even after asked, and Elendil not telling Miriel what he sees as they arrive at Númenor.

The opening sequence of Sauron's origins was riveting...
    Didn't it remind you of Caesar's murder? It did me.

Also, I really liked how Sauron's blood turned into a creepy-crawly that ingested other living things.

...and the scene with the three rings near the end was really well done.
    Now that I'm not sure of what you mean. In my defense, I've fallen asleep three or four times while watching S1E8 and S2E1, so everything's getting all jumbled in my memory.

One thing I wondered about, in the scene where they're going to make the rings, why did they feel it was necessary to melt down Galadriel's whole dagger, given the amount of mithril they had? Especially after the ingot they were left with. Seems to me a small portion of the haft could have been used (and the dagger spared) when all they were making were three rings. And why were they different colors???

But these are minor quibbles.

I'll be watching E3 and E4, today.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Pretty sure Istar is mentioned somewhere in the books as one of Gandalf's names? Although in the series it also appeared to be used to refer to an entire class of beings.

Edit: Yes - the Istari are the wizards.
    <sig out of order>

Man, that actor portraying Gil-Galad really stinks up every scene he's in. IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Man, that actor portraying Gil-Galad really stinks up every scene he's in. IMO.
    Yeah, I'm not buying that performance either.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am caught up through episode 4 now. I thought they did fine with the jolly old fellow and well, what was in the forest collecting bodies, that was well done.