Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth

I will no longer watch the queen on Christmas Day.

I've never thought or cared much about the royal family but I did find myself surprisingly moved (and a little unsettled) by the sense of time and history passing, and the loss of continuity with the past.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    President George H. W. Bush didn't survive that long after Barbara's death. Similar story with her majesty losing her beloved Prince Philip. That kind of heartbreak is difficult to overcome.
    The line I once heard was, it's often times, one spouse will remind the other about things like doctor's appointments, taking medication, etc. Or it's the spouse who knows that something is amiss, that needs to be seen to. So it's quite common that when you remove one from the equation, after being married for so many years, the other starts to decline as a result.

Lost for words really, the end of an amazing era, the second Elizabethan age. Rest In Peace Elizabeth II.

As a Yank, disrespect for the institution is hard-wired in me. Nonetheless, the ritual and pageantry are fascinating. A good friend who is English (and vehemently anti-monarchy) says by all accounts she was indeed a nice person with good intentions and firm sense of duty/service. RIP Elizabeth, your reign was long and glorious.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The US news channels are locked in on practically nonstop coverage/speculating/commentary. I can't imagine how insane the coverage in the UK is.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Charles, at 73, is the oldest monarch ever to ascend to the throne.

At 78 years 61 days, Biden was the oldest US President ever inaugurated (followed by Trump, Reagan and Harrison). These are not good times to be young.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    God Save The Queen
    🙄 Move to Way Off Topic, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    �� Move to Way Off Topic, please.
    I agree that the Queen's death is not related to music or the arts - but I'm going to leave it here for a short while longer, and will move it after a few days.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    She devoted a life to public service with very little thanks and effectively zero power. Gotta respect that however much I hate the institution.
    That was very nice, you monarchist lover, you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

RIP. Was she in A Hard Day's Night? Or am I confusing some other snippet of Beatles media with film of her meeting the Beatles. I'm not talking about the royal whatever concert for the queen mum. RIP .

I should give Mike Oldfield's QE2 album a listen as a tribute.

There, I related the thread to prog. Although FirthOf5th did the same above with the Genesis reference.

My six decades on this earth have always had the Queen in situ, she was unavoidable, on every postage stamp, bank note, coin… there cannot be one day she has not featured in some small way. As a child, before I had formed my own personal worldview, respect for her was a given, but as I matured the whole institution seemed anachronistic and not one I could support. By all accounts she was herself a decent person, but that does gloss over events such as recently bailing out her middle son with millions, to preserve the family image. I am sad for her, but she’s had a long life and we all have a time limit, but rest in peace, it cannot have been an easy life in spite of appearances. I do have zero positive feelings towards the rest of them.

I was sat on the runway at Kuala Lumpur airport when I heard the news, that’s something I’ll never forget, and I’m pleased that I’m out of the country for the next few weeks, otherwise the news coverage would engulf me.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    My six decades on this earth have always had the Queen in situ, she was unavoidable, on every postage stamp, bank note, coin… there cannot be one day she has not featured in some small way. As a child, before I had formed my own personal worldview, respect for her was a given, but as I matured the whole institution seemed anachronistic and not one I could support. By all accounts she was herself a decent person, but that does gloss over events such as recently bailing out her middle son with millions, to preserve the family image. I am sad for her, but she’s had a long life and we all have a time limit, but rest in peace, it cannot have been an easy life in spite of appearances. I do have zero positive feelings towards the rest of them.

I was sat on the runway at Kuala Lumpur airport when I heard the news, that’s something I’ll never forget, and I’m pleased that I’m out of the country for the next few weeks, otherwise the news coverage would engulf me.
    I'm trying to escape the new coverage in Canada but I can only switch stations as it's everywhere. I just don't care.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I agree that the Queen's death is not related to music or the arts - but I'm going to leave it here for a short while longer, and will move it after a few days.
    So what queen did The Beatles sing about again.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    So what queen did The Beatles sing about again.
    Brian Epstein.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "King Charles III held audience with Archbishop of Canterbury" During which, they drank cups of tea, and smoked punkweed till they bled.

With all the “first-day-of-school” photos on FB, I thought this funny. 015973F8-166C-4060-BAF8-985FAA49748B.jpg
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Charles, at 73, is the oldest monarch ever to ascend to the throne.

At 78 years 61 days, Biden was the oldest US President ever inaugurated (followed by Trump, Reagan and Harrison). These are not good times to be young.
    I was really hoping to see a baby take the throne, but there would have had to have been some big accident or something for that to happen.

I hope our friends in/from the UK regain their bearings soon if they're amiss, and feel back on track with their new king.

No disrespect intended, but I found this actually quite funny...

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    No disrespect intended, but I found this actually quite funny...

At least he makes it look like he knows how to hold it like he can play it, unlike those famous people that haven't a clue.

The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Banned
    Okay, but doesn't Queen still get posted on the main thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Nice hog!

What's the reason for the lead-lined coffin?