Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance: Azure D’Or, Expanded 2CD/Blu-Ray Set November 25, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    You gotta admit, Annie was quite the hottie with that totally-80s hairdo.

EDIT: I thought I would add the visual...

Attachment 16292
    Only one problem with that logic: I was a child in the ‘80s (born in ‘78), and my mom had basically the same haircut at what would’ve been the same age as Haslam. So there’s that.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Let's get back on track!!

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...d-blu-ray-set/

It was a fabulous experience to have the opportunity to revisit this album. David Hentschel was a wonderful mentor and influence during my initial period at Trident Studios, terrific chap!

'Azure D'Or' felt a bit like it had not aged well from that period when it was originally made, so I hope I have managed to give it a bit more of a timeless feel - and the benefit of newer techniques and technology, while keeping respect for the original album and its intention. That is my main focus when I am invited to take a new view on such classic albums. SWTx

I’m sure I will buy. Bought all the other reissues, even if the lack of 5.1 in many of them was a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by ollie woodpecker View Post
    Let's get back on track!!

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...d-blu-ray-set/

It was a fabulous experience to have the opportunity to revisit this album. David Hentschel was a wonderful mentor and influence during my initial period at Trident Studios, terrific chap!

'Azure D'Or' felt a bit like it had not aged well from that period when it was originally made, so I hope I have managed to give it a bit more of a timeless feel - and the benefit of newer techniques and technology, while keeping respect for the original album and its intention. That is my main focus when I am invited to take a new view on such classic albums. SWTx
    Thanks for the update!

From the first posting in this thread, it's stated that this is "newly remastered", but that blurb also notes new 5.1 and stereo "mixes". So, is this indeed a remix? I'm excited either way, but a new remix would be particularly interesting. I'm thrilled to see that Stephen is active on this board.

Ember
    Seems to me that a new mix is a new mix. A new mix is not an upmix. A new mix is not a remaster. If it's not a new mix, then there's a problem with misrepresentation, which seems unlikely from people who seem to know what they're doing.

It seems pretty clear from the disc-content listing that they are including both a ("new!") remastering of the original stereo mix, plus ("new!") stereo and 5.1 mixes by Stephen.

So pretty much everything I would want. I'm in!
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Seems to me that a new mix is a new mix. A new mix is not an upmix. A new mix is not a remaster. If it's not a new mix, then there's a problem with misrepresentation, which seems unlikely from people who seem to know what they're doing.

It seems pretty clear from the disc-content listing that they are including both a ("new!") remastering of the original stereo mix, plus ("new!") stereo and 5.1 mixes by Stephen.

So pretty much everything I would want. I'm in!
    Yes it is a completely new mix from the original 24 track tapes to stereo and 5.1, including all the extra songs. SWT

Great news; thanks for the clarification. I'm awaiting with anticipation.

Pre-ordered.

I'll be getting this, as I really like the album - when I got into Renaissance (In the early 1990s, after hearing a song on a compilation) I spent time finding second hand vinyl (Quite miss all the little market stalls and shops down alleyways packed with vinyl), and Azure D'Or was the first one I found. A few years later they were all released on CD in the UK, but I seem to recall this one sounded a bit 'dull' and 'muffled'.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Lived in GC at that time, where was the show?
    It was at the Northstage Theater in Glen Cove, NY. November 28, 1981. Unfortunately, there is no song list on setlist.com but I remember it was a very good show like Steve Hackett was a few days before at the same venue.

What was special about the Northstage was that it had tables of four patrons so the view was excellent. Not sure if it still exists which I think it does because it sure qualifies as a heritage building.

Quote Originally Posted by ollie woodpecker View Post
    Yes it is a completely new mix from the original 24 track tapes to stereo and 5.1, including all the extra songs. SWT
    Nice to have you here, Stephen. But I'm curious: what changes did you decide to make to the original mix? I agree it was in need of improving, but I'm just wondering what were the big issues you tried to address.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's really cool! Kalynda is such a beautiful song.

Genaissance -- I like it.
    Kalynda really is a beautiful song. It will always be my sentimental favorite since it was my gateway into the band's wonderful music. I can't wait to hear the new mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    It was at the Northstage Theater in Glen Cove, NY. November 28, 1981. Unfortunately, there is no song list on setlist.com but I remember it was a very good show like Steve Hackett was a few days before at the same venue.

What was special about the Northstage was that it had tables of four patrons so the view was excellent. Not sure if it still exists which I think it does because it sure qualifies as a heritage building.
    I was at the Hackett show. Might have seen Renaissance there as well. Definitely saw that tour.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I was at the Hackett show. Might have seen Renaissance there as well. Definitely saw that tour.
    Yeah and obviously since there was no internet at the time, when we went to see the Steve Hackett concert (it was the "Cured" tour 1981 with a stellar band: Ian Mosley, Chas Cronk and Nick Magnus who was wearing a "Chips" uniform), I read the "Playhouse" free program and saw the ad for Renaissance.

BTW: Also saw Triumph at the Northstage theater as well that month. Great times indeed.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Being produced by David Hentschel gave me the wrong direction at this time thinking it was going to be as good as the Genesis related albums Duke, A Curious Feeling or Smallcreep's day but with a much different feel specially with Annie Haslam singing. But did not have any similarities at all, no bombastic sounds or epic songs and was a preview of what was to come.

And that was Camera Camera that I did not even bother buying, ironically it was the only time I saw Renaissance live in Glen Cove, Long Island (1981).

It wasn't until Tuscany came out in 2000 that renewed my interest in the band and I hope it gets the reissue treatment like this but is a long shot.

Great that you mentioned both Duke - I do hold Azure D'Or in the same regard as Duke - you could see the change coming, but there was still lots of the band we knew and love - I believe Kalynda is pretty bombastic but I agree - needed an Epic... all in all, IMHO not peak Renaissance, but still good Renaissance - Their next album though... Just like Genesis!

All IMHO, YMMV

v
    Last edited by vmartell; 09-30-2022 at 05:35 AM.

As I started with either Ashes Are Burning or Carnegie Hall, for me Azure D'Or is no contest for those, but there are things I like a lot on it like Jekyll & Hyde and Winter Tree, which later bore some strange resemblance to that Bird And The Bee song.

https://youtu.be/LR3cO9gFBSs?list=PL...8VDcgZzNC&t=57

https://youtu.be/TMy6X5cQul8?t=53

I like the Genaissance view, I stopped listening to anything further from either band about the same time. Kinda like ELP's Love Beach.

No love for Jekyll and Hyde here?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn_McCool View Post
    I like the whole album

Quote Originally Posted by Finn_McCool View Post
    My favorite track on the album. The melody and the twisty beat always reminded me a lot of Gentle Giant. Even the lyrics sound like Gentle Giant lyrics.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Wow, thanks for posting! I was not aware that there were any music videos featuring songs from this album.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Wow, thanks for posting! I was not aware that there were any music videos featuring songs from this album.
    There was an entire "video album" made (probably cost the label a bit of coin) for Azure d'Or. I had the whole thing on VHS back in the day, although it looks like you can get the individual songs on YouTube (4 or 5 total, from what I recall.) It's worth tracking down for fans, as it's not just all studio miming.

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

In the 80s, DJ Ben Cromer used to play "Jekyll and Hyde" on his "Thresholds" radio program on WVTF in Roanoke, Virginia. Back then, we were calling it art rock!

Rereading the initial post, which gives the contents of the new box set, I see that these videos will be included on the Blu-ray. I look forward to see them all, hopefully with improved resolution.

Regarding "Jekyll and Hyde", I really like that song as well.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021