Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Renaissance: Azure D’Or, Expanded 2CD/Blu-Ray Set November 25, 2022

It seemed like all the great artrock bands were streamlining their overall sound starting in 1978. I hated that. The albums were usually very weak. I bought this one though, since I was a Renaissance fan. It was obvious that this was an enormous streamlining attempt but the songs were so beautiful that it didn't matter. Too bad they didn't continue making beautiful music after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    I was late to the Renaissance party.
    HAH! Late to the party. I gots ya beat on that. Didn't realize this band until 1995 or so.

A friend from Rochester got me hip to them once after a few drinks. I liked it but forgot about it. He died, I ended up with those albums and played Carnegie Hall.

Was blown away. Anyway.....

I don't have Azure so can't contribute to this conversation about that but I will definitely be doing some deep dives into the thirteen discs I do have to listen to in the next few weeks. One of the benefits of a delivery job is you get to listen to lots of music. Which is why I got bored with the last 32 gig card, I'd listened to everything about 8 times. Or more.

It's a first world problem, I know but damn, it's really cool to hear something that isn't Rush. I've gone too far down the Rush rabbit hole and need to come up for some air.

Been fun to find this new old memory card. So much music to delve into. Marillion was a treat. I don't have Easter, though. Bummer. It's better live anyway.

I'll start a Marillion thread some day. I need to digest what I have a bit more to do that. Lots of stuff a going on there.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

John Boegehold
    I was a huge Renaissance fan (still love their classic albums) and even though Azure D'Or has great songs, the overall mix always seemed dull and unfocused. Didn't help that they dropped the orchestra after SFAS. Remastering can only do so much, but these remixes on the other hand are a HUGE improvement. Much-improved clarity all-around, especially in the drums and bass/bass pedals. The Flood at Lyons, Forever Changing, Golden Key are standouts. I have zero interest in alternate takes, demos, single versions, etc. but the remixes make this well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    There was an entire "video album" made (probably cost the label a bit of coin) for Azure d'Or. I had the whole thing on VHS back in the day, although it looks like you can get the individual songs on YouTube (4 or 5 total, from what I recall.) It's worth tracking down for fans, as it's not just all studio miming.

The blu-ray has 5 promotional films, both from The Mill House and Bray Studios, although the information on the Cherry Red-website, the cover and in the booklet don't seem right. The correct order is:

Blu-Ray Top Menu, Videos
    Bray Studios, Berkshire 1979
    BD-14 Jekyll And Hyde
    BD-15 The Winter Tree
    BD-16 Secret Mission

The Mill House Studio, Cookham, Berkshire 1979
    BD-17 Forever Changing
    BD-18 Carpet Of The Sun

I really enjoy re-listening to Azure D'Or; I only have the LP, so this new set is a real step forward!

Tuscany is the latest Renaissance album to get the Esoteric reissue treatment. What do y’all think about the album?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^ Sokay sallright.

I didn't discover this album until several years after its initial release. I'm not sure how I completely missed it, particularly since I used to be pretty in to the group. I enjoyed it and recall listening to it incessantly for a time. I still come back to it on occasion. I like the title track a lot and there are a few others that stand out for me, like Dear Landseer. I always felt that it was a nice return to their 70s style. The live in Japan album was also very good. It's unfortunate that that iteration of the group didn't last long.

I took a listen when Tuscany originally came out, and I listened to some tracks again now, but overall I think it's just mediocre and not really in line with their heydey.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I took a listen when Tuscany originally came out, and I listened to some tracks again now, but overall I think it's just mediocre and not really in line with their heydey.
    I heard it once and wasn’t impressed at all. Never listened to it afterwards. Unless someone can convince me to revisit again I won’t bother with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk