Thread: Hendrix Did Sgt. Pepper For Paul And George

Hendrix Did Sgt. Pepper For Paul And George

So my friend tells me this story of this happening three days after Sgt. Pepper came out. I immediately cried out bullshit. I've never heard of this and I'm the music historian of the two. All the years on PE and I've never come across this.

Totally true. I was flabbergasted when I saw the clip. Big cohones on Jimi to play the song with them in the audience. Heck, three days after it came out he was able to do that? Brilliant.

On Sunday 4th June 1967, guitarist Jimi Hendrix paid the ultimate compliment to The Beatles by performing the title track from their ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ album live just three days after its release.

Paul McCartney and George Harrison were in the audience that day as The Jimi Hendrix Experience headlined the bill at London’s Saville Theatre. Paul was a particular admirer, and accompanied by Ringo, had previously seen Jimi perform at the Bag O’Nails Club in London on 11th January.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Shoot, that's a pretty well known anecdote. Jimi had only just learned the lyrics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul McCartney
    Jimi was a sweetie, a very nice guy. I remember him opening at the Saville on a Sunday night, 4th June 1967. Brian Epstein used to rent it when it was usually dark on the Sunday. Jimi opened, the curtains flew back and he came walking forward, playing 'Sgt. Pepper', and it had only been released on the Thursday so that was like the ultimate compliment. It's still obviously a shining memory for me, because I admired him so much anyway, he was so accomplished. To think that that album had meant so much to him as to actually do it by the Sunday night, three days after the release. He must have been so into it, because normally it might take a day for rehearsal and then you might wonder whether you'd put it in, but he just opened with it. It's a pretty major compliment in anyone's book. I put that down as one of the great honours of my career. I mean, I'm sure he wouldn't have thought of it as an honour, I'm sure he thought it was the other way round, but to me that was like a great boost.”

I still can't believe I never heard this story. All the Beatles books I have from days of yore never mentioned it.

It was harder for me to get this because the guy who told me this is crazy. A good kind of crazy but I really thought he was blowing smoke up my ass.

I'm old-ish, depending on the ages of you all but I was so surprised that it was true but yet, they have video of it? Are you frakking kidding me? We can't have any Deep Purple from the olden days but THAT clip survived? From that one instance where history happened, we have it but we can't have a DP show except the two we have?

I almost want to go back in time to say "Why the hell did you leave that on the cutting room floor?" Sorry, the whole DP thing bugs me, so much just.....gone.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Yes, it's a rather well-known legend, but I had no idea there was video of the event!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    We can't have any Deep Purple from the olden days but THAT clip survived? From that one instance where history happened, we have it but we can't have a DP show except the two we have?
    I say the same thing about Humble Pie. I know there are a bunch of clips but I'm talking full shows.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I suspect he's referring to 60s MkI
    DP (which stands in this instance for "Deep Purple," not double penetration) was formed in 1968. The videos I linked go back to 1969. How many concerts did they perform in their first year?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    DP (which stands in this instance for "Deep Purple," not double penetration) was formed in 1968. The videos I linked go back to 1969. How many concerts did they perform in their first year?
    Dunno, but the original, Rod Evans-fronted lineup was around long enough to make three studio albums, have a top ten hit, and they even got to pal around with Hef:

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

They performed plenty. There is only one live concert recording of MkI known to exist. That band existed until late summer of '69 before Gillan and Glover came in

http://db.etree.org/db/shows/browse/...y/52/year/1968

http://db.etree.org/db/shows/browse/...y/52/year/1969
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

LOL, the Olden Daze.

Guys, even the Coverdale Hughes incarnation of DP is "Olden Daze" at this point, if we're being honest.

And all those YT vids include the first three versions of the band.....I did not know, until watcching that vid of Burn, that is was Hughes singing the high parts--I assumed it was Coverdale.

I think Ian Gillan has got to be in the top five best rock vocalists ever.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I was Googling for videos of DP performances on the BBC, wow was that a revelation.