Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Definitely one of my top 10 albums for 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I attended one of the two spatial audio playback performances of The Harmony Codex at the Curzon Bloomsbury today. The theater is equipped with a gazillion speakers to provide Dolby Atmos playback. It was a fascinating 64 minutes, listening to the music swirl around me. His latest album has been a "grower" for me. I wasn't wholly impressed at its initial releases, but subsequent listens have changed my mind for the better.

Wilson spent around 40 minutes answering questions from a moderator and the audience. Topics were all over the place. One person asked about his touring plans. He reiterated what's been already mentioned in earlier interviews, that he's planning a tour (but no time soon) that will take advantage of spatial audio, so the appropriate venues are likely limited. Other questions touched on modern pop music and his answers referenced Taylor Swift (his kids are fans), Adele, and the state of pop music. He talked about the role of AI/ML in music, an interesting topic.

I enjoyed this event a lot. I used to visit this cinema (near Russell Square) in the mid-80s to watch French movies. But I hadn't been back to the Brunswick Centre in 35 years.

Attachment 17337
    Glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoy THC too, it's completely different to The Raven etc but I love it. It's a pity that there's no tour, I don't think he has said why but I wonder at how difficult THC would be to reproduce live without too many backing tracks? Or maybe he has got 'insurance' problems like Yes

Similar to some recent magazine interviews, he did confirm that there would be a supporting tour eventually. His words last night were something like "not soon." Since he's looking at venues that will support spatial audio, that likely implies residencies at a limited number of places. He didn't specifically say that last night, but he referenced the "residency" idea in at least one recent magazine interview. My guess would be he's seeking a way to do this profitably. While he can sell out the Albert Hall for 3 nights, a lot of those fans are repeat customers (like me). A lengthier stay at a smaller venue may be financially difficult. I look forward to what tour model he comes up with.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    But I hadn't been back to the Brunswick Centre in 35 years.
    It's changed a lot in that time!
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoy THC too, it's completely different to The Raven etc but I love it. It's a pity that there's no tour, I don't think he has said why but I wonder at how difficult THC would be to reproduce live without too many backing tracks? Or maybe he has got 'insurance' problems like Yes
    He toured Raven and GFD which weren't easy to faithfully reproduce live either, but he did it (quite successfully).
    I'm pretty sure he will tour THC too at some point, it has more electronically generated sounds but it can be done with current technology.
    The main obstacle will be his wish to use Spatial Audio reproduction which is restricted to fewer and smaller venues having the right equipment. There are not many (rock) concert halls equipped with a (Dolby) Atmos P.A system but many movie theaters. Also this system can't work and is not effective in big venues which excludes most large rock concert halls/arenas. This means the issue (for touring) is more of a financial than technical nature (smaller limited venues = less spectators = less income)
    But during a previous tour (I can't remember if it was Raven or GFD) he used a quad (or multi-channel ? but not Atmos) P.A and sounds/effects were coming from all around the hall. It was subtle but clearly audible, I think now they would call it "immersive" ?

After many listenings I can say THC is an excellent S.W record and much better than his two previous ones. It took me some time to get into it but it's a very rich (and coherent) album, and yes it's a "grower" for me too. Seeing/hearing it played live would be a great experience.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 12-03-2023 at 11:05 PM.

The album has been out for a couple of months now and I've kept spinning it regularly. I do like a couple of songs and overall I find the album stronger than TFB. Having said that, I do find The Harmony Codex pretty bland and nothing to write home about.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ How does it compare to To the Bone for you?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ How does it compare to To the Bone for you?
    I actually prefer TTB to be honest.

The latest remix, which is also available to buy as a download. I really don't like it but some might.

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    I actually prefer TTB to be honest.
    Me too. I’ve tried to give the new one space and time, but it’s not really in tune with where my ears are at right now.

Next conceptual album in the works, comprising 2 20 minute tracks and tour in 2025.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/its...w-studio-album

Also there's a new Bass Communion release featuring Theo Travis

https://basscommunion.bandcamp.com/a...f-of-snow-1999

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Also there's a new Bass Communion release featuring Theo Travis

https://basscommunion.bandcamp.com/a...f-of-snow-1999
    I don't enjoy his more recent solo work as much, but welcome anything old, new or new/old from Bass Communion. And this was a lovely treat
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

New 'space themed' album on the way and new tour announced.

https://stevenwilsonhq.com/announcin...iew-tour-2025/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    New 'space themed' album on the way and new tour announced.

https://stevenwilsonhq.com/announcin...iew-tour-2025/
    I wish they’d told us if there’s going to be any kind of deluxe edition…

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/S0PrRTPtqgE

The music at the end of this video sounds encouraging.

^Thanks for posting! That’s an incredibly small yet tantalizing sample.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wish they’d told us if there’s going to be any kind of deluxe edition…
    There'll be 3 of them, released in 6 month intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^Thanks for posting! That’s an incredibly small yet tantalizing sample.
    It does sound nifty....but "spacey"?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is there woosh? Dave Brock says that space rock needs woosh. He would know.

I spent a little time with Harmony Codex today and came away with a much better impression of it. Skipping “Economies of Scale” definitely helps. I just can’t find anything to like in the song. It sounds like a phone ringing while someone drops coins on a countertop. Everything else is either good or good enough.

I realized something, though. If Wilson had teased twenty seconds of Holzman’s solo in Impossible Tightrope, I would likely have anticipated the album differently. Yes, expectations are a trap, but I have no doubt that Economies of Scale colored my view of the album. Ah. What can you do? Just keep listening, I guess.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Does a "space themed" album need to be spacey ? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There'll be 3 of them, released in 6 month intervals.
    The last ultimate edition will only be embedded in the entertainment system of a Toyota Camry. Includes one bonus track.

Here we go again..

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Does a "space themed" album need to be spacey ? I don't know.
    There is no sound in space. So, it could be 2 twenty minute tracks of silence.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    The last ultimate edition will only be embedded in the entertainment system of a Toyota Camry. Includes one bonus track.
    The first will be the SDE Super Deluxe Edition with 4 CDs, Blu-Ray, postcards from the Bahamas, and a box of Corn Flakes. The 2nd will be the SupercalifornialisticXBalidocious Edition, with all of the prior SDE, plus 2 hits of acid and a voucher for avocado toast at your favorite vegan restaurant. The 3rd is slated to be (or so I'm told) The Wango Tango This Is For Django Deluxe Edition, which includes everything in the earlier editions, along with an 80 page hardbound book detailing Steven's love for early-mid 20th century Jazz and Quentin Tarantino movies.

Get 'em while they're hot.