Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    This is one reason I've never understood why SW only thinks PT plays a very specific style (i.e. the In Absentia through The Incident sound), which he even states in more recent interviews. And I agree - I think PT has shown over it's lifespan that it can sound like anything the band wants it to - OTSOL sounds very different than Voyage 34, which sounds very different than Stupid Dream, which sounds very different than Fear of a Blank Planet.

So at least in my mind, I don't understand why he limits PT today to a specific sound, and uses the rest of his songwriting for other outlets. I used to think it was because he didn't like the members of PT any longer (save Harrison, who he continued to make music with). But since they continued working on the most recent PT album starting way back in 2012, that's clearly not true either.
    Agreed, I suppose the latter day sound was the one that gave them a commercial breakthrough but my PT fave period is The Sky Moves Sideways to In Absentia. I am not a huge fan of FOABP so I wish they would explore some of the older PT sounds again.

That was an interesting interview, I particularly enjoyed the Guthrie Govan discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Agreed, I suppose the latter day sound was the one that gave them a commercial breakthrough but my PT fave period is The Sky Moves Sideways to In Absentia. I am not a huge fan of FOABP so I wish they would explore some of the older PT sounds again.
    I too love the earlier period, but I extend through to Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and most of In Absentia. After then it was a little hit or miss for me, I'm not huge on metallic guitars, though I did love Blackest Eyes.

Wilson posted this on Twitter this morning, which is consistent with other earlier descriptions like from the Beato interview as described in an earlier post from Sean.

"Coming in 2023 will be my new album, a 10 track 65 minute musical journey that’s kinda hard to describe, but suffice to say it’s different again, not to mention totally pretentious (in a good way!)

It will be released by @VirginMusicUK, more news soon.

Meanwhile the (likely final) @PorcupineTree shows will be a handful of festival appearances over the Summer, check the band’s channels for more info."

Great news, he has also said that he thinks that PT fans will like his new album and I find it cool that the Virgin label has been resurrected. I suppose it's likely that SW will be playing solo shows too next year - should be a busy year for him.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I like Wilson and hope he does resurrect an older PT sound instead of the overreach of TFB

He said it's mostly synth driven music, with the guitar as more of a top layer to the proceedings. Does that equal old PT? Not really to me, but my mind is open. He knows TFB didn't really fly with his prog fans so I suspect this will be pretty different in scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    He said it's mostly synth driven music, with the guitar as more of a top layer to the proceedings. Does that equal old PT? Not really to me, but my mind is open. He knows TFB didn't really fly with his prog fans so I suspect this will be pretty different in scope.
    I'm not so sure that he cares that TFB didn't fly with his prog fans...he probably revels in that, haha. But, doubtless he noticed that it didn't do as well, in general; perhaps not garnering the following of his existing pop-style fans, or making new ones. Of course, we'll never know how successful a TFB tour would have been, due to Covid. I'm certainly much more interested in this one.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I like Wilson and hope he does resurrect an older PT sound instead of the overreach of TFB
    Overreach?

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm not so sure that he cares that TFB didn't fly with his prog fans...he probably revels in that, haha.
    100% agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It seemed to be a stab at finding a pop audience. One that didn't seem to materialize, so he's left with the same fans as before. The prog ones... You can buy a billboard in Times Square, but it won't guarantee the people walking by it will care to know who is on it.

I haven't kept up with his later stuff, but the release date of the last one was a bit of a kiss of death. But then, given how long he's been recording, it's surely a bit late in the day to pull off a full-on 'pop' crossover.

He has every right to record whatever he likes, but he is crazy to think he can change trains at this stage in his career and gather a huge pop audience, just as he is deluded to think he can switch his predominantly prog fans over to a dance/pop direction. He should be eternally thankful that through his hardworking efforts he has built a very sizeable audience and has established a successful career way from the nine to five. Perhaps he is, and it just doesn’t seem this way in his interviews and mid-gig pronouncements.

I love TFB. If he continues in that direction I would welcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    If I try hard I can hear subtle jazz elements but they're still subtle. Wilson's solo albums up through Raven weren't a drastic departure from his last two or three PT albums (up to that point). Comparatively speaking. PT's albums from On The Sunday of Life thru In Absentia were all very different from one another.
    I don't know how to process this comment. Grace for Drowning sounds to me pretty distinct from prior solo work and certainly so from Porcupine Tree. But I guess we all come with different ears and focus on different aspects of the music. I wouldn't call Grace jazz, but it has jazzy elements, certainly compared to his prior output.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    He has every right to record whatever he likes, but he is crazy to think he can change trains at this stage in his career and gather a huge pop audience, just as he is deluded to think he can switch his predominantly prog fans over to a dance/pop direction. He should be eternally thankful that through his hardworking efforts he has built a very sizeable audience and has established a successful career way from the nine to five. Perhaps he is, and it just doesn’t seem this way in his interviews and mid-gig pronouncements.
    It may be overly optimistic to believe he can gather a huge new audience, but I welcome artists who follow their muse instead of just giving the audience the same old same old. He could have churned out copycat albums; I like that he didn't.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I mean, it kinda says all you need to know that Wilson’s next move after TFB was the Porcupine Tree reunion. At this point “rock” artists embracing EDM etc. is very much a stock move so I’m not sure who he was trying to impress there. Wilson ain’t no Bowie. Also, the anti-consumerism, anti-mass infotainment concept album thing has been pretty well covered too. If he really wanted to do something different that would shock people then he would get heavily into AC/DC and old school, whiskey drenched hard rock. Wilson’s music often seems influenced by his recent remixes and he did just do some work for GNR so maybe there’s a chance.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Wilson ain’t no Bowie.
    He didn't have sex with a 14-year old or give any Nazi salutes, true.

I never felt like Wilson ever "chased an audience." I always got the impression that he creates what he wants to create and, if anything, prefers to leave his previous audience behind.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I don't know how to process this comment. Grace for Drowning sounds to me pretty distinct from prior solo work and certainly so from Porcupine Tree. But I guess we all come with different ears and focus on different aspects of the music. I wouldn't call Grace jazz, but it has jazzy elements, certainly compared to his prior output.
    Grace For Drowning seems to be hardly mentioned lately but it remains my favourite album of his and the Blu Ray of the tour Get All You Deserve is quite brilliant too.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Overreach?
    Yep. Swing and a miss.

He's entitled to do whatever he wants. If he never makes anything resembling a 'prog' album, or an album that I personally like, it's fine. He delivered over 2 decades of music that I love, and was at the forefront of the modern/third wave, whatever of prog. What a career, and he's still going strong.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Grace For Drowning seems to be hardly mentioned lately but it remains my favourite album of his and the Blu Ray of the tour Get All You Deserve is quite brilliant too.
    I'm with you! It's also one of the best shows I've ever seen. This is easily the SW solo album I go to the most.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Of course Mr. Wilson can do whatever he wants. And he has. He's had the luxury being able to record what he wants, play with whom he wants. He's still a very sought after talent on both sides of the console. But I don't agree that he hasn't chased an audience with his last two solo albums. And it's obvious that TFB underperformed to his expectations because (as has already been pointed out) he went to the BREAK GLASS INCASE OF EMERGENCY PT reunion album in its wake. Smart man. I'm only making observations, not trying to be a tastemaker. I've championed Wilson for years. I liked H.C.E. I liked about half of TTB and parts of TFB. In fact, I've liked more of his solo career than I've disliked. Not that I hate any of it to be clear. I'll probably buy whatever he sells next. I don't worship anyone though and don't believe I need to be a total fanboy to be a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    He didn't have sex with a 14-year old or give any Nazi salutes, true.
    Well, the Nazi salute was in very poor taste.