Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Agusa - En Annan Värld

FEATURED ALBUM: Agusa - En Annan Värld

Agusa has been delivering consistently high quality music for about a decade, and their album from 2021, En Annan Värld, is no exception. Consisting of just two "side long" tracks, the music shows a maturity in approach while not deviating much from what we have come to expect from the group over the years. If you're into authentically retro-sounding, folk-tinged symphonic rock with memorable melodies, you should find something to enjoy here.

Review from ProgArchives
    Swedish instrumental prog rockers are back with a slightly shifted lineup and a much more focused retro psychedelic Prog Folk sound.

1. "Sagobrus" (25:01) nice, laid-back, simple Folk-Rock for the first five minutes. As a matter of fact, one might say that this song is divided equally into five perfect fifths. In the second fifth it goes CAMEL--or at least, tries to. All instrumentalists (guitar, organ, bass, drums) are competent and recorded and mixed fairly well, but nobody blows me away. The 1960s analog-like sound (and recording- ?) choices probably make this a great ride for people wanting to sit back and ride a nice, long wave of late-1960s nostalgia (there's a lot of Doors- and Procol Harum-like feel here). In the third fifth, the flute gives it a nice touch of Moody Blues, Focus, and Camel; the rhythm guitar play, bass, and saw-organ give an almost Supersister/Hatfield and the North funk. The fourth fifth takes a minute to define itself but ends up falling cleanly into a Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here despite the flute arpeggio that remains as a foundational motif throughout; the keyboard work and guitar are definitely straight out of Floyd. In the nineteenth minute we get another pseudo shift as the fuzzed-up bass leads over a weave of mathematic minimalism. By the 20-minute mark, we have moved into a fury of Camel-like tension building, somewhat crescendoing with the multiple guitar tracks merging and weaving in the 22nd-minute, giving it more of a Focus feel. The from 22:00 out is Camel flute and then Hammond taking turns leading the way over the driving theme carried by the rhythm section. Nice. (44.5/50)

2. "Uppenbarelser" (21:13) opens with some harp sounding like a nostalgic Celtic sea shanty. Plodding toms take over over the top of the the psychedelic synth work. This is giving me the feel of being on a journey--of some processional dance being led along the rocky Irish sea coast, flutist and dancers moving at a very slow and staccato pace, very sacred and yet also, at the same time, profanely fertility-oriented. Were it not for the organ, I would think this something that could totally be performed outdoors, while dancing along the coast! In the eighth minute electric guitars join in and the intensity rises, but then, at the 8-minute mark things thin out again, breaking down all the way to slow toms and bass. The organ, and then flute and electric guitar, take up the slow melody, and together build and build, with Cream/Eric Clapton-like electric wah guitar taking over the lead, all the way until the 13-minute mark when things break down for strummed acoustic guitar to take over leading the way. Jazzy drums, bass, gentle flute, and picked Spanish guitar make me think that the processional has moved south--perhaps into the Basque regions of Spain, or its Mediterranean coasts. Community building in the 16th and 17th minutes leads into another attempt at the guitarist to take us over the top. Unfortunately, chaos reigns over cohesion as the dance must become totally bacchanalian--until, that is, we again reach a resting/restarting point at 18:22. This is when we are reminded and/or restored to the original Celtic setting. It feels as if the message here is that it's sleep- time. The final two minutes are very bucolic in a kind of Anthony Phillips way. I do love that a cohesive story seemed to unfold here. Well done! (36/40)

Total Time 46:14

I can see how other reviews call this album full of "addictive" music--especially the second track. I, for one, love the visual and visceral image of myself fully engaged in that highly enticing fertility dance. The synth, bass, and flute performances are wonderful--never overstated or bombastic. I am not, however, very impressed with either the guitarist's electric lead work nor the drummer's timing and mix/recording/engineering choices. While I love the nostalgic feel of the retro sounds and familiar styles, I am more inclined to go back to more original material. Still, a pair of nicely composed, well-collaborated prog epic tracks.

B+/4.5 stars; a near-masterpiece of progressive rock music on the retro psych-folk-rock side of things. - BrufordFreak
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I like this album. Its not an album that stands out in originality but it delivers the goods everytime I play it.

Good tunes and inspired playing. Just a lot of fun to listen to.

Love this one, and it made my top 10 of the year last year. I honestly dig all of their stuff.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

One of those bands where one could say: you got one, you got them all...

But I'm, so far, happy to have them all - at least the ones that were physically available.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Seems competent enough, if a bit over-earnest.

If I didn't already have more mediocre music on my wall than I can ever hope to listen to, I might consider adding this. (How's that for a back-handed compliment?)

…pretty much in line with what I would expect.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Amazing band and amazing album. This might actually be my favourite Agusa album yet. Love it to bits!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have not heard Agusa before but this is really excellent music. I would definitely consider picking it up.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Never heard a note from these guys, but I've been aware of them for several years. Maybe I should give this one a spin; thanks for starting this thread.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

These CDs get a lot of airtime in Casa Progatron. A few of them were limited to something like 300 copies worldwide so I'm pleased to have snagged each of them upon release:

Agusa cds.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Any opinions on Agusa II? - It's the only one on Amazon.ca.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Any opinions on Agusa II? - It's the only one on Amazon.ca.
    https://www.dprp.net/reviews/2015/084#agusa

^^Nice review! Ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    These CDs get a lot of airtime in Casa Progatron. A few of them were limited to something like 300 copies worldwide so I'm pleased to have snagged each of them upon release:

Agusa cds.jpg
    Nice collection!

These days my CD library has taken up so much space that I'm more prone to buying an LP if I'm going for physical media. Which (ironically) take up more space, but I have less of them and more shelves to store them on. I'm not sure logic has ever entered into the equation for me though if I'm being honest.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Any opinions on Agusa II?
    It's Ok.

Which is my general feeling about the band, at least on record - as I haven't seen them live yet. They're Ok.

But for the "woodsymph-flooty" retro thing as such, I'd rather take a bit more aggressive and decisive visions like Änglagård or rather more serene and meditative and ones like Elds Mark.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Good stuff, Maynard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's Ok.

Which is my general feeling about the band, at least on record - as I haven't seen them live yet. They're Ok.

But for the "woodsymph-flooty" retro thing as such, I'd rather take a bit more aggressive and decisive visions like Änglagård or rather more serene and meditative and ones like Elds Mark.
    I agree with this feeling they crossed that line at times of being too pretty still I quite enjoyed their latest but still prefer their self titled 2017 album before the bassist and keyboardist quit.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I just discovered this wonderful album recently. Great stuff, I need to explore more of the band's releases.

I was driving quite a bit during the weekend and played this album alot. Great album and that first track Sagobrus is just sublime!

I bought Augusa Two based on this thread. I like it - don't love it. They are obviously instrumentally talented.

Three of their CD titles have recently been listed on Lasers Edge for $8 apiece, including the limited Ekstasis: Live In Rome disc. Anyone looking to fill in holes in their Agusa collections shouldn't wait on this IMO. I paid a lot more than eight bucks.

I am not a big fan of the band, particularly of what they've been doing the last few years, but their new album Noir is really good. They play with more nerve and vigor, and the format of short tracks - it is a soundtrack - has helped them to rejuvenate their sound. Thumbs up on my part.