Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2022 NCAA Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Holy Cow! Iowa is going to the final... Best darn game I've ever seen this team play. Firing on all cylinders throughout Q1 and the entire second half. They were able to score consistently against the strongest defense they have ever faced. Now on to LSU.
    What a game - I kept waiting for SC to mount a major offensive, but beyond second-chance twos (and a few +1s) Iowa didn't let them get anything going. And Clark seemed to come up with a bucket every time they needed one. Best defense I've seen them play this year. They also didn't miss a single free throw. Can't wait for Sunday!

And in real-life, I hope you were out of the way of the worst of the weather down there today. Sounds like it was pretty gnarly.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^^^ Yes we are fine thank you for asking. We spent an hour in the basement as we always do during these things but no damage in our neighborhood or in Iowa City proper. We were joking that the weather was a good sign for the basketball. And it turned out to be true.

Fla Atlantic putting up a fight.

Banned
    Does FAU have a coach?

Un fucking believable. Damn.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Does FAU have a coach?
    I got my answer.

Banned
    Worst refereed game I have ever seen.

I'm not at all certain the better team won, but it was an entertaining game.

Worst refereed game I have ever seen.
    3 terrible calls against FAU down the stretch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    3 terrible calls against FAU down the stretch.
    Exactly. But the coach let Goldin be a non-contributor.

Banned
    These CBS announcers should be fired. Should be giving FAU tons of credit.

These CBS announcers should be fired. Should be giving FAU tons of credit.
    Just watched off and on but when the FAU player flopped on the court like a little girl I hoped they would lose. Did catch the last two seconds.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Exactly. But the coach let Goldin be a non-contributor.
    His hands were tied somewhat. He couldn't use Goldin on inbounds plays late, because San Diego St would have fouled him, and put him on the free throw line automatically with the double bonus. He hadn't shown any ability to hit free throws, so the Aztecs would likely have had even more time to go for the win or tie, as the case may be.

The UConn defense is blowing the Hurricanes back out to sea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The UConn defense is blowing the Hurricanes back out to sea.
    That is one way to look at it, but Miami has won when it made shots. It got behind early and never made up the difference. UConn missed many shots too, and Miami made its typical good defense plays, but it was missing open shots which it made easily in its path to the final 4. Miami had this mode where it just threw the ball up at the basket, I saw that when they played Duke in the ACC tourney championship game.
    Last edited by Firth; 04-02-2023 at 06:31 AM.

I think that was Miami's first ever Final 4. The coach has built a great program down here. They had a good run.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I think that was Miami's first ever Final 4. The coach has built a great program down here. They had a good run.
    Yes, Jim Larrañaga has now coached two teams to the NCAA Final 4, George Mason in 2006 and Miami in 2023. I’m sure Jim was responsible for recruiting transfer Jordan Miller from George Mason. Miller was hittin the three big time in the Elite 8 performance.

The refs in the Women's Championship are proving that they can be as outrageously bad as in the men's Game.

^^^ Yeah I've never seen anything like it. The I suppose "good" news is the many ridiculous calls did not change the outcome. I have never seen a team as "on fire" as LSU in Q2. They could do no wrong. None. for me personally but hey they earned it...

^ Yeah, I posted that after watching an LSU player take 4 free throws. (Don't think I've ever seen that on any level.) However, the better team won. I haven't checked the shooting percentage, but I don't think I've seen a team shoot like that ever. Men, women, whatever. It was kind of unreal.
    However, late game & post game, the LSU players showed no class, especially the biatch who got game MVP. I was rooting for Iowa. I'd root against that LSU team every time.

Still processing the disappointment from that game. While the officiating wasn't the deciding factor (beating a team that manages to shoot almost 70% from beyond the arc is...difficult), to say it didn't have an effect is wrong, IMO. That was, without a doubt, the worst officiating I've seen in any Div I game. The technical against Clark for throwing the ball towards the sideline under the basket (where the ref is often waiting for it anyway) was beyond ridiculous. Neither team played good defense (viz the final score) but how could they when the game was being called as it was?

The bigger problem for me, though, was the absolutely childish and classless behavior from the LSU players in the final minutes of the game and afterwards. Good on the Iowa women for ignoring it and not sinking to that level. Unless I missed it, the LSU players didn't even participate in the handshake line after the final buzzer. Pathetic.

Bottom line for me is that Iowa had an amazing season, and Lisa Bluder is a top-tier coach who has built a program based on recruitment, retention, and development of players, creating an environment where they simply want to stay and excel. This is, unfortunately, at odds with the direction Div I football and basketball are heading, where loyalty to a team/program takes a distant second place to the search for championships and the individual glory attached to them.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.