Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2022 NCAA Basketball

Banned

2022 NCAA Basketball

North Carolina went from #1 to #18 in one of the most lackluster performances I’ve ever seen against Alabama.

On the NC State William and Mary game this was announced:
    https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/202...e-legend-movie

It was getting close to time to bump this thread, anyway, but...

RIP Billy Packer. I fell in love with college hoops to the sound of his coverage with Dick Enberg and Al McGuire. All gone now, but a triumvirate that won't be forgotten. I heard the news while watching the Torrey Pines golf coverage; Jim Nance made the announcement, and I heard genuine sadness in his voice.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Banned
    Billy Packer RIP

Maryland who isn't ranked trounced Indiana then next game Indiana beats #1 Purdue.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Maryland who isn't ranked trounced Indiana then next game Indiana beats #1 Purdue.
    The NCAA men’s basketball rankings are effectively just a lottery.

The B1G is once again chock-full of teams with enough talent to beat any other B1G team on any given day. Historically, though, that translates to a slew of teams in the Tournament, but few making it past the second round. The parity the conference has achieved means all 14 teams are closer to the center of the bell curve than the rightmost end. I always have hope, though, and always watch. And this year is a particularly good one in my state, as almost all four D1 programs have a legit shot at sending both their men's and women's teams to the big dance. The exception is my hometown men's squad, whose only hope will be to make a run from the middle of the pack and win the MVC tournament to get a bid.

It's still only the first week of February, though...
    David

You have to watch the last 4.2 seconds of the Missouri/Tennessee game. That is all I caught channel surfing.

Banned
    The referees in the Duke-Virginia game were some of the worst I’ve seen. 0.2 seconds on clock as hand is seen committing foul, not called.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The referees in the Duke-Virginia game were some of the worst I’ve seen. 0.2 seconds on clock as hand is seen committing foul, not called.
    ACC said wrong call was made.

It so good to see Pitt's resurgance this year. Makes you want to watch their games and other games.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    ACC said wrong call was made.

It so good to see Pitt's resurgance this year. Makes you want to watch their games and other games.
    Thanks.

Maryland trounces #3 Purdue.

Banned
    #1 has been a very unstable ranking. Purdue was number 1.

Banned
    Nice but I have had disinterest in MD since they left the ACC.

Pretty amazing back-to-back days for the Iowa men and women. March seems to have started a few days early...
    David

Who do you have in your brackets this year? To me Alabama is the team to beat. They are young, but when they are on there is no team better. Purdue, Kansas, Texas, and Houston all have a shot as well IMO. Should be a fun tournament as always.

It's a cool year, with Iowa, Iowa State and Drake in the big dance on both the men's and women's side, and the UNI women in the NIT.

In my totally non-scientific, pick each game with your gut and don't overthink it way, my final four is Purdue, Houston, Gonzaga and Utah State (gotta have a Cinderella!). I have Purdue beating the Zags in the title game.

For the women, I have Iowa and Iowa State in the championship, with the Hawks winning. Unlikely in the extreme, but it's fun to think about.

Head and shoulders my favorite month of sportsing, with the Tour de France being #2.
    David

Banned
    I think the Cinderella team this year will be Duke. Duke has struggled to be ranked in the top 25 most of the year. They are a team that is loaded with top freshmen which improved significantly as the year went by, ending with a significant ACC tournament victory over Virginia, a team that had high rankings most of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    It's a cool year, with Iowa, Iowa State and Drake in the big dance on both the men's and women's side, and the UNI women in the NIT.

In my totally non-scientific, pick each game with your gut and don't overthink it way, my final four is Purdue, Houston, Gonzaga and Utah State (gotta have a Cinderella!). I have Purdue beating the Zags in the title game.

For the women, I have Iowa and Iowa State in the championship, with the Hawks winning. Unlikely in the extreme, but it's fun to think about.

Head and shoulders my favorite month of sportsing, with the Tour de France being #2.
    Last edited by Firth; 03-14-2023 at 03:04 PM.

^ That makes sense. Good call.

EDIT: ESPN's Jay Bilas is picking them for the Final Four.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 03-14-2023 at 04:31 PM.

I have watched Purdue quite a bit this year. When the big guy (whose name escapes me) is on, they are practically unbeatable, but when he is not having a great game or when teams find ways to shut him down a bit, they are beatable.

Nice to have some of your local teams in the tournament. Michigan State made it from my area, but I don't see them going beyond 1 win.

I think the Cinderella team this year will be Duke. Duke has struggled to be ranked in the top 25 most of the year. They are a team that is loaded with top freshmen which improved significantly as the year went by, ending with a significant ACC tournament victory over Virginia, a team that had high rankings most of the year.
    Duke has really come on late in the season, so that makes sense. I am not sure that they can get by Tennessee in their bracket, but we'll see.

Your reasoning is sound, but, even without Coach K, it's difficult for me to look at Duke as a "cinderella". Plus, they're a #5 seed, so only one line off an expected sweet sixteen appearance. I have them losing to Tennessee in the 2nd round.
    David

Banned
    Your reasoning is sound, but, even without Coach K, it's difficult for me to look at Duke as a "cinderella". Plus, they're a #5 seed, so only one line off an expected sweet sixteen appearance. I have them losing to Tennessee in the 2nd round.
    That position as #5 seed just represents how great their performance has grown. I wish I had the rankings before the tourney started, but I do have points scored per game and Duke was 160th. They are a recent surprise.

Enjoyed both first four games last night. Stayed up late to see my Panthers make three great plays down the strectch playing without their starting center Federicko Federicko. H2P

Can't wait for more tonight!

Banned
    https://247sports.com/Article/UNC-ba...ion-206589317/
    UNC basketball missed out on the NCAA Tournament after a 20-13 finish to head men's coach Hubert Davis' second season at the helm, becoming the first preseason No. 1-ranked team not to make the field since 1985. Shortly after the Tar Heels' postseason fate was sealed, Davis issued a formal statement that announced the declining of an invite to the NIT Tournament, a decision that has been questioned by the parents of several key players on this year's team.
    Last edited by Firth; 03-15-2023 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Enjoyed both first four games last night. Stayed up late to see my Panthers make three great plays down the strectch playing without their starting center Federicko Federicko. H2P

Can't wait for more tonight!
    Congrats to your Panthers for winning the play-in! I think it'll be a good matchup; Pitt is riding some momentum, and Iowa State has been really up & down this year.
    David