Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Guess Who

I saw them on one of those concert TV shows in 1970 or 71. They were all long hair and grungy looking. They played a sledgehammer version of American Woman. It was pretty metallic.

I think it was the Hoffman forum where someone mentioned this YouTube upload, Ray Stevens's 1970 summer replacement show with an appearance by the Guess Who miming "American Woman," plus Mama Cass and comedy from a young-ish Steve Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Back in the day, they were an ass-kicking unit. A lot harder than most would think.
    Burton Cummings is one of the great rock and roll singers of all time. And one of the best pure singers, as well. That is not hyperbole.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Burton Cummings is one of the great rock and roll singers of all time. And one of the best pure singers, as well. That is not hyperbole.
    I first got into him when I saw him do a concert on the old PBS show "Soundstage" in 1977 with Randy Bachman. I had heard some of the Guess Who hits of course, but had never really explored them at that point. I agree, one of the most overlooked rock singers ever and a band that should be in the hall of fame.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I first got into him when I saw him do a concert on the old PBS show "Soundstage" in 1977 with Randy Bachman. I had heard some of the Guess Who hits of course, but had never really explored them at that point. I agree, one of the most overlooked rock singers ever and a band that should be in the hall of fame.
    Absolutely.

Burton's solo material is fabulous. A lot of it is ballads, but he still rocks. And this song just KILLS.

Must. Play. Loud.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Absolutely.

Burton's solo material is fabulous. A lot of it is ballads, but he still rocks. And this song just KILLS.

Must. Play. Loud.

Just walked into my pub. And American Woman is playing. That was a Heavy song. I thought they were as heavy as Led, Purple, Sabbath back then, just from that one, hit song. I like some of their other hits too. Burton Cummings was/is a great singer. Now, a track like "These Eyes" would make you think, WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just walked into my pub. And American Woman is playing. That was a Heavy song. I thought they were as heavy as Led, Purple, Sabbath back then, just from that one, hit song. I like some of their other hits too. Burton Cummings was/is a great singer. Now, a track like "These Eyes" would make you think, WTF?
    That was part of what was cool about them was that their music was all over the place. Some of the post Bachman albums get pretty heavy at times too.

That was part of what was cool about them was that their music was all over the place. Some of the post Bachman albums get pretty heavy at times too.
    That is what was great about rock in the late 60s and early 70s. Lots of light and shade.

^^AMEN!!! The formula was NO FORMULA. So much of today's music follows the same template. gag)

I just saw this on PBS during one of their pledge breaks. Apparently, The Guess Who is a British band:

https://treasurycollection.com/produ...h-pop-volume-3

I just saw this on PBS during one of their pledge breaks. Apparently, The Guess Who is a British band:

https://treasurycollection.com/produ...h-pop-volume-3
    Hell, Van Morrison would neck punch whatever writer decided he was English.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

A really thorough and candid interview from Goldmine with Cummings. They get into his thoughts and memories of the recently-passed Chad Allan and then dive in with the history of how Kale came to trademark the band name and the situation with the current band using the Guess Who name and the lawsuit.

https://www.goldminemag.com/features...I7KDMcAzebKlg8

And a just-as-good interview with Randy Bachman, where they talk about the current BTO tour, the classic live recordings he is preparing for release, and then the situation with the lawsuit against the band using the Guess Who name:

https://www.goldminemag.com/features...4uQo34m4WWntHw
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 01-04-2024 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    A really thorough and candid interview from Goldmine with Cummings. They get into his thoughts and memories of the recently-passed Chad Allan and then dive in with the history of how Kale came to trademark the band name and the situation with the current band using the Guess Who name and the lawsuit.

https://www.goldminemag.com/features...I7KDMcAzebKlg8

And a just-as-good interview with Randy Bachman, where they talk about the current BTO tour, the classic live recordings he is preparing for release, and then the situation with the lawsuit against the band using the Guess Who name:

https://www.goldminemag.com/features...4uQo34m4WWntHw
    Great interviews, thanks for posting.

I mentioned that the fake band posted on FB about the lawsuit and git skewered in the comments. I just checked the same post and it looks like they removed all the negative ones (which is their right), and left anything even remotely positive.

Is anything genuine about this current band?

I mentioned that the fake band posted on FB about the lawsuit and git skewered in the comments. I just checked the same post and it looks like they removed all the negative ones (which is their right), and left anything even remotely positive.

Is anything genuine about this current band?
    Something along the same lines. The current version of The Little River Band, which contains no original members, is playing a show about an hour south of me. When the show was announced a few weeks ago on the venue’s Facebook page there were quite a few comments about the band not having any original members and / or the current lineup in general. All those posts have been removed, including replies to posts. I don’t know if it is the band or the venue doing it, but they are obviously trying to push it as the original band. Every few days someone will post about the lineup and it is always gone within a few hours.

Burton Cummings is doing a 60th Anniversary tour next Fall. I just bought two VIP tickets, which were way too pricey. But, it's a once-in-a-liftetime show for me and my wife who love Burton. And it's only money.

Burton Cummings is doing a 60th Anniversary tour next Fall. I just bought two VIP tickets, which were way too pricey. But, it's a once-in-a-liftetime show for me and my wife who love Burton. And it's only money.
    I grabbed a ticket also (for Collingswood, NJ). Considered the VIP option, but passed and bought a $99 ticket, which happens to be right next to one of the VIP seats. One of the earliest records I ever had was The Best of the Guess Who and have been a Burton/Guess Who fan ever since. Figured I'd never get to see him live, but I jumped at this chance. October can't get here quick enough!

I grabbed a ticket also (for Collingswood, NJ). Considered the VIP option, but passed and bought a $99 ticket, which happens to be right next to one of the VIP seats. One of the earliest records I ever had was The Best of the Guess Who and have been a Burton/Guess Who fan ever since. Figured I'd never get to see him live, but I jumped at this chance. October can't get here quick enough!
    I hear ya.

The only time I saw him was with Ringo's band in 1990. First time I ever saw him play guitar (rhythm on "No Time").

There's no finer voice in rock.

Things have taken a turn with the Guess Who/Burton Cummings clash. The Guess Who shows are being cancelled due to "music licensing" issues. Word is that Cummings pulled the licensing for the Guess Who catalogue from BMI and now no venues have a license for the songs to be performed.

Things have taken a turn with the Guess Who/Burton Cummings clash. The Guess Who shows are being cancelled due to "music licensing" issues. Word is that Cummings pulled the licensing for the Guess Who catalogue from BMI and now no venues have a license for the songs to be performed.
    The Gary Peterson Guess Who is playing a show near me this summer. I have not seen anything about a cancellation.

The Gary Peterson Guess Who is playing a show near me this summer. I have not seen anything about a cancellation.
    Their last four shows have been cancelled. And all cancellations happened day before or day of the show. It appears that the venues are presented with legal proceedings shortly before each show.

^^

Good news for Burton and Bachmann and morality, but I don't like much the idea that the cancellation happens so soon before the show, this costing money for the concert venue and the fans who might travel towards the show for nothing and not be able to be refunded their money
    I suppose that insurance will cover most for the venue, though.
    I care much less for the promoters, who probably were aware of the situation, before the tour even started.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Good news for Burton and Bachmann and morality, but I don't like much the idea that the cancellation happens so soon before the show, this costing money for the concert venue and the fans who might travel towards the show for nothing and not be able to be refunded their money
    I suppose that insurance will cover most for the venue, though.
    I care much less for the promoters, who probably were aware of the situation, before the tour even started.
    I'm going to guess that this might be intentional? After so many of these in a row, the current Guess Who guys might have to make a decision about carrying on and keep paying for a bus, fuel, crew etc. Thats just my speculation, but not sure how many cancelled shows a tour can absorb.