Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2023

Canterbury Binge: 2023

Come one! Come all! To southeast England we go, to partake in the strange little brews crafted by the likes of Miller, Wyatt, Gowen, Stewart, Allen, and the flying Sinclair cousins.

Hard to believe it is January already, and harder still to believe that it is now 2023, a number so futuristic sounding that it makes these glorious relics of the genre's classic era all the more distant in time's rearview mirror. Let us behold them with our usual reverence, for the hour is upon us...

Last edited by Progatron; 01-01-2023 at 12:21 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    When it turned midnight last night and the ball dropped at Times Square and there was a big 2023 on the screen, that's just what I said: "2023 - it's so futuristic sounding!"
    We do need to rail against that, so the Canterbury Binge is the way to go!

I started a few days ago and spun Soft Vol. 2 a few times and Caravan If I Could....always amazing. Gems.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I started a few days ago and spun Soft Vol. 2 a few times and Caravan If I Could....always amazing. Gems.
    I adore both. The suite of songs Can't Be Long Now/Francoise/For Richard/Warlock is just phenomenal.

Edit: I've just pulled If I Could... from the shelf for a spin. I had to!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've played the first two Egg albums. Sounded really good after a few weeks break.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I've played the first two Egg albums. Sounded really good after a few weeks break.
    I really love the Egg debut, though it garners slightly less fan admiration than its follow-up, which I understand. Side two is a mainstay in my 'EPICS!' playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    When it turned midnight last night and the ball dropped at Times Square and there was a big 2023 on the screen, that's just what I said: "2023 - it's so futuristic sounding!"
    We do need to rail against that, so the Canterbury Binge is the way to go!
    I was listening to One Shot's Ewas Vader as midnight struck but just before that it was Antique Seeking Nuns' Double Egg with Chips and Beans(and a Tea).
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

NP: Bruford - Rock Goes to College (sort of tangentially Canterbury I guess)

Gilgamesh - s/t

I wish there was more Caravan on Spotify. Got it all on CDs but it’d be handy.

National Health: Missing Pieces-so glad they put this album together. Really is buried treasure.

Missing the first two LPs which stanks. No CD player in my car either, I'm stuck with Spotify on the 'GO'.

Gilgamesh - s/t
    Brilliance.

Where do you listen to streaming? Driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    National Health: Missing Pieces-so glad they put this album together. Really is buried treasure.
    Yeah, I love spinning that one and I think I'm long past due. Good reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Missing the first two LPs which stanks. No CD player in my car either, I'm stuck with Spotify on the 'GO'.
    No mp3 player or some such device?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Where do you listen to streaming? Driving?
    And in the back yard and walking.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I picked up a bunch of thumb drives for car use. My cars can only handle up to 32GB devices. I'll have to throw together a Canterbury collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Brilliance.
    No mp3 player or some such device?
    Nah, I never owned an iPod or anything like it. Was olde school with CDs only (and vinyl) but basically was forced to use a streaming service when both of our cars (2019 models) were cd player deprived. Now my entire family uses Spotify family plan...which I'm sure a ton of folks are in the same boat. I also use Bandcamp on the go as well, but I try not to purchase duplicates of stuff I already have on cd/vinyl. It is what it is...the convenience factor is indeed great but there are problems with streaming from both an artistic standpoint and music library (or lack thereof) standpoint as we all nose.

So glad to have the binge thread going. I haven’t had a good opportunity to start listening unfortunately but I will begin this evening I hope.

Now playing Gilgamesh - Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into. My favorite from the band and one of my favorite albums from the whole scene. This is so full of detail that it never fails to amaze me after years of listening. The sound is warm yet quiet and all the musicians are on top form. 10 out of 10.

np - Soft Machine Vol. 2

Pretty much can't stop playing this. Already broke my record most likely!

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Now playing Gilgamesh - Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into. My favorite from the band and one of my favorite albums from the whole scene. This is so full of detail that it never fails to amaze me after years of listening. The sound is warm yet quiet and all the musicians are on top form. 10 out of 10.
    Great call. I'll hit it very soon

NP: Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

This is the version with the 5 bonus tracks, not the Wislon one. The bonus tracks are very worth hearing, if anyone hasn’t.

Today, back to back to back was Gong - Live In Sherwood Forest 1975, and then Gong - Oxford 76 and then to finish it off...Gong - Live À Longlaville 27/10/1974

John G. Perry - Sunset Wading

John G. Perry - Sunset Wading
    Ahh, the album referenced by Perry's friend Anthony Phillips in the song Um & Aargh: "This is much too good for the people" he said, I said "don't people have minds of their own?"

Based on the record company A&R man who actually told Perry that his album was 'too good to be released'.