Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2023

The Hall has lost some meaning in the last decade, IMO. It's really a shame.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    eSPN+ had a interesting article today on the Hall's future by using Joey Votto as the 'baseline' for how the HoF will likely look in 10 years....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

We are now less than three weeks until pitchers and catchers report. Blue skies, green grass, wood hitting leather. When my parents wintered in AZ I'd always get a game or two in on a visit. Damn I miss going to spring training games.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It would be so nice to visit Spring Training.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Sports TV isn’t dead, but American capitalism might be killing it

"We’re on the cusp of a significant change in the way we consume baseball. Half the league’s clubs are in a state of limbo because a management team decided that quarterly returns and fatter shareholder pockets were more important than effective, long-term investing. If you’re someone opposed to the increase in streaming around MLB, it’s only going to get worse because of Sinclair’s buyback strategy."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Can't say that I'm upset that Sinclair is failing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Can't say that I'm upset that Sinclair is failing.
    Me, neither.

one week, boys

The eons are closing
    [emoji106]

Jim Palmer is the only pitcher to appear and win a world series game in 3 different decades.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Tim McCarver played in four different decades.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Tim McCarver played in four different decades.
    Thirty one players played in four different decades.

The eons are closing
    From ESPN.com/mlb
    So, what rules are changing?

Let's start with the pitch clock: With the bases empty, pitchers will now have 15 seconds to begin their motion once the catcher returns the ball to them and 20 seconds between pitches with runners on.

Pickoff attempts will be limited: Pitchers will also only be allowed two disengagements from the rubber -- the number of times he can step off to throw to a base or to get a new sign.

Teams are no longer allowed to shift their infielders: The defense must position two infielders on each side of second base and all four infielders have to be on the infield dirt (or infield grass) as the ball is being pitched.

There will be larger bases: The size of each base will be increased to 18-inch squares instead of 15-inch squares.

^^ The one I dislike is limiting pick-off attempts. But, at least the extra inning ghost runners are gone.

^^ The one I dislike is limiting pick-off attempts. But, at least the extra inning ghost runners are gone.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

The eons are closing
    Oh no!

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial
    Yeah, I just saw that. Fucking idiotic. It was supposed to be temporary.

Dumbest rule ever in this sport, IMO. Now an opposing pitcher can do his job by retiring the first two batters he faces, yet still lose the game. Someone needs to convince me how that improves the sport.

Another idiotic rule: position players can only pitch when leading team is up by 10+ runs in 9th inning, trailing team is down by 8+ runs anytime, or the game goes into extra innings.

I can't get anything on how this would affect Shohei Ohtani.

Also can't get anything on why they felt the need to create this rule.

Yeah, I just saw that. Fucking idiotic. It was supposed to be temporary.

Dumbest rule ever in this sport, IMO. Now an opposing pitcher can do his job by retiring the first two batters he faces, yet still lose the game. Someone needs to convince me how that improves the sport.
    It's like hockey going from 5 on 5 to 3 on 3 in overtime.

Manfred seems to be more concerned with the casual fan who has zero attention span and spends time at the game looking at their electronic devices, while complaining how boring it is. And, news flash, he will never win them over. To hell with the lifelong fan.

At the very least, maybe implement the ghost runner in the 12th inning?

Of course the players like it, because it's a shorter work day.

And, does it really make the games quicker or shorter? Isn't it just as easy to tie the game after the first team scores? I'm not convinced it speeds things up. I'd like to see some data on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It's like hockey going from 5 on 5 to 3 on 3 in overtime.
    It's more like not allowing the goalie within 15 feet of the goal in OT.

I don't understand the fans who don't like extra innings or overtime. You're getting more of what you love. For free!

Another idiotic rule: position players can only pitch when leading team is up by 10+ runs in 9th inning, trailing team is down by 8+ runs anytime, or the game goes into extra innings.

I can't get anything on how this would affect Shohei Ohtani.

Also can't get anything on why they felt the need to create this rule.
    It would not affect Ohtani.

Partly the reason behind the rule was the abuse of teams in 2022 using a position player as a form of “giving up” and to not waste using their relievers, so they would be rested instead of wasted for a lost cause. This, in turn, skews and inflates things statically for the hitters who are launching balls off guys who should not be pitchers, which has caused some ire from the players union.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I don't understand the fans who don't like extra innings or overtime. You're getting more of what you love. For free!
    Football, Hockey, and Soccer all have ties when OT doesn’t produce a winner. Basketball has enough variables that make it difficult to get much beyond double or triple OT.

Baseball has no ties, and managers/rosters are designed for the long game (the grind of the season) and not any one game. The ghost runner simply helps facilitate a scoring opportunity, for both teams. And there are several examples of games still going 11-12-13 innings, so everybody gets plenty of “free” baseball. But the chances of an 15-18 inning game is eliminated and I don’t see that as a bad thing for the game as much as it’s something some fans simply don’t care for much.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Football, Hockey, and Soccer all have ties when OT doesn’t produce a winner. Basketball has enough variables that make it difficult to get much beyond double or triple OT.
    All of those games have clocks. That's the beauty of baseball is that it's up to the players to finish the game. Now, the league feels it's up to them. "It ain't over 'til it's over" is now, "It' ain't over 'til Manfred says it is."