Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2023

Some of the greatest games I've ever witnessed were extra inning games won by a walk-off. Now, a team can get two outs and walk off. Just doesn't seem the same.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Football, Hockey, and Soccer all have ties when OT doesn’t produce a winner.
    Yes, and in every case it's ridiculously stupid.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yes, and in every case it's ridiculously stupid.
    So, of course, this is not strictly true for football (soccer)
    In league games, a draw is a result - both teams get a point (as opposed to three points for a win). In national Cup competitions, a draw may lead to a replay (at the other team's ground). When a result has to be determined on the day, then games go to extra time - thirty minutes, fifteen each way. In each of these cases, the integrity of the game is maintained, just as it is in extra innings. The only time this is not the case is when games remain drawn after extra time, at which point, ties are settled by penalties. Nobody really likes penalties, but no other method has been found that works better. But, either way, penalties don't represent an artificially distorted continuation of the game - on the contrary, they actually represent a fundamental break with the game as it's normally played.

The problem with the ghost runner is that it's an artificial distortion - it is neither a break with the normal playing of the game, but nor does it respect the basic dynamics of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    The problem with the ghost runner is that it's an artificial distortion - it is neither a break with the normal playing of the game, but nor does it respect the basic dynamics of the game.
    This is exactly it. The free runner on 2nd is an artificial construct. It is an aspect of the game which is potentially determining the winner. A part of the game within the game, if you will, but it is not the game. If you want to make it the game, then start every half inning with a free runner on 2nd. It's just as artificial as the NCAA American Football overtime starting on the opponents 25 yard line, having to go for a 2 point play after so many possessions, etc. Then there's the Penalty Shots/Kicks...

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Football, Hockey, and Soccer all have ties when OT doesn’t produce a winner. Basketball has enough variables that make it difficult to get much beyond double or triple OT.

Baseball has no ties, and managers/rosters are designed for the long game (the grind of the season) and not any one game. The ghost runner simply helps facilitate a scoring opportunity, for both teams. And there are several examples of games still going 11-12-13 innings, so everybody gets plenty of “free” baseball. But the chances of an 15-18 inning game is eliminated and I don’t see that as a bad thing for the game as much as it’s something some fans simply don’t care for much.
    Let’s just have ties already. It’s fine. In fact, ties are traditional.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

And here we are!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    The "Natinals" are so cash strapped that they cannot afford to distance themselves "naming rights" wise from a failed crypto firm and their on the run CEO.

Cozy - any local update on when Nationals will be sold - especially now that Ted Lerner has passed.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

As I understand it, the Lerner family intends to sell minority ownership to one or multiple investors, not a full sell. The big sticking point seems to be their MASN TV contract, but I can’t recall the details.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The eons are closing
    Thanks GOMA bro

The eons are closing
    Left side tightness for deGrom and held out Official Day 1....

and so it begins...

Yankees' Frankie Montas is having shoulder surgery and could miss the season. What total bust of a trade by Cashman.

And Nestor Cortez could be out until May.

A week ago, they were being touted as the best rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yankees' Frankie Montas is having shoulder surgery and could miss the season. What total bust of a trade by Cashman.

That didn't age well. Didn't even make it to the full roster at spring training.

Looks like Manny Machado will be opting out of his contract at the end of the season. Can you blame him with these ridiculous signings?

Can these multi-millionaires ever be content with what they're making?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Looks like Nasty Nestor will be ready for opening day. Seems his injury wasn't as serious as they thought it was.

Not holding my breath.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Today's grapefruit league game between BOS and ATL ended in a tie, with ATL loading the bases with 2 outs and a 3-2 count, and what looked to be a likely win on walking in the winning run ended in a tie with an automatic called third strike under the new timer-based rules. This sort of thing could get ugly with games that count.

^^ yep

I did not learn until today that the new pick-off rule is that, if a pitcher does not get the runner on the third try, it's a balk. I believe this rule is three tries per batter.

That is stupid and takes away one of the best cat-and-mouse elements of the game.

The eons are closing
    You will see a whole ton more of throws from catchers to first - clock doesn't start til pitcher gets ball back - to both allow more time for fidgety relievers and get around 3 throws to first.

I LOVE it when an attentive catcher picks a runner off first base.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    This sort of thing could get ugly with games that count.
    Players will adjust. Players, managers and umps from the Minors said it took a few weeks to get the time and rhythm down. When they did, they had no issues.

Watching games yesterday, I was struck by how crisp everything was. The pitch clock is going to make baseball so much better. I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I LOVE it when an attentive catcher picks a runner off first base.
    Word out of Braves' camp is that this factored into their acquisition of catcher Sean Murphy. The competitive advantage at catcher could be the X factor that keeps the NL East title in Atlanta, especially given how much everyone in that division (besides the Nationals--can they be relegated?) has improved.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The eons are closing
    Cardinals' Oliver Marmol: Umpire C.B. Bucknor 'has zero class'

Came across some ridiculous stats on Facebook the other day...

If a player stole 50 bases a season, for 28 years, Ricky Henderson would still have more.

Tony Gwynn played 20 years in MLB. He struck out three times in a game once.

Tony Gwynn could have gone 0 for 1199 at the end of his career and still retire a .300 hitter.

Greg Maddux threw a complete 9 inning game with 76 pitches.

Tons more. Oh how the game has changed!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Came across some ridiculous stats on Facebook the other day...

If a player stole 50 bases a season, for 28 years, Ricky Henderson would still have more.

Tony Gwynn played 20 years in MLB. He struck out three times in a game once.

Tony Gwynn could have gone 0 for 1199 at the end of his career and still retire a .300 hitter.

Greg Maddux threw a complete 9 inning game with 76 pitches.

Tons more. Oh how the game has changed!
    If a pitcher won 20 games for 25 seasons (or 25 games for 20 seasons), Cy Young would still have more.

O's are in first place in the grapefruit league.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!