Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2023

HESTON KJERSTAD

Kjerstad was selected by the Baltimore Orioles with the second overall pick in the 2020 Major League Baseball draft.[19] Kjerstad signed with the Orioles on June 30, 2020 for a $5.2 million bonus.[20] Kjerstad developed myocarditis after signing and missed spring training and all of the 2021 season.[21]

In his first game with the O's he hit two home runs and is batting 1.000 after two games. He's not even the Oriole projected to win American League rookie of the year.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Machado stays with the Pads for $350 million @ 11. No trade, no opt-out.
    Last edited by ronmac; 02-27-2023 at 08:22 AM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Machado stays with the Pads for $350 million @ 10. No trade, no opt-out.
    He would have never gotten that in Baltimore.

Absolutely LOVING the pitch clock. Mostly because it's affecting batters more, it seems. And I think it's fantastic that a game has already been decided by this rule. It's probably the only time that will happen, as mentioned above that the players and umpires will adjust. But it's great watching the quicker pace of play. Manfred got that one right, finally.

That said, the pickoff rule is completely stupid.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The whole "time out while I adjust my batting glove and my ballsack" drama was such a waste of time. Just get to the plate and take a fucking swing, stop playing around. I like the time clock.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Absolutely LOVING the pitch clock. Mostly because it's affecting batters more, it seems. And I think it's fantastic that a game has already been decided by this rule. It's probably the only time that will happen, as mentioned above that the players and umpires will adjust. But it's great watching the quicker pace of play. Manfred got that one right, finally.

That said, the pickoff rule is completely stupid.
    While I can't yet say I'm loving the clock, this is, essentially, where I'm at.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

One complaint I'm hearing about the pitch clock is that it's forcing teams to simplify their signs to runners and hitters because they don't have the time to run through them. They will now be easier to steal, apparently.

There was no umpire behind the plate calling balls and strikes, or even one of those so-called robo umps that could become part of the game in the future, when the Baltimore Orioles and Pittsburgh Pirates kept playing Tuesday.

Umpires left the field after Baltimore's Josh Lester grounded out to end the top of the ninth inning with the Orioles trailing 7-4, officially ending the spring training contest.
    But the teams went ahead and played the bottom of the ninth inning after Pirates manager Derek Shelton and Baltimore skipper Brandon Hyde had a quick discussion.

The Orioles wanted to get some work on the mound for right-hander Ofreidy Gómez. Teams occasionally agree to shorten or lengthen spring training games depending on needs.

With the umpires gone, the balls and strikes were called by the catcher, just like is done in so many backyard games. Maverick Handley, a non-roster invitee who has never played about the Double-A level, was behind the plate for the Orioles.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There was no umpire behind the plate calling balls and strikes, or even one of those so-called robo umps that could become part of the game in the future, when the Baltimore Orioles and Pittsburgh Pirates kept playing Tuesday.

Umpires left the field after Baltimore's Josh Lester grounded out to end the top of the ninth inning with the Orioles trailing 7-4, officially ending the spring training contest.
    But the teams went ahead and played the bottom of the ninth inning after Pirates manager Derek Shelton and Baltimore skipper Brandon Hyde had a quick discussion.

The Orioles wanted to get some work on the mound for right-hander Ofreidy Gómez. Teams occasionally agree to shorten or lengthen spring training games depending on needs.

With the umpires gone, the balls and strikes were called by the catcher, just like is done in so many backyard games. Maverick Handley, a non-roster invitee who has never played about the Double-A level, was behind the plate for the Orioles.
    Almost there....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

All in all, that half inning must have been a blast for the players.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Who here loves the pitch clock?

It's an idea that's long overdue. A faster paced game? I'd watch that.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm in. I actually like a lot of the things they're experimenting with, including the runner on second for extra innings, robo-umps for balls and strikes, the pickoff rule, and the designated hitter (which is only like 50 years old at this point). I don't think baseball is sacred, and should be allowed to grow and change, and do what is logical given changing public tastes. Oddly, baseball seems poised to be on the cutting edge of a lot of this stuff, as opposed to being an anachronistic holdout. I think the NFL could take some cues from MLB on this stuff, to their benefit.

Bill

Unlike some other rules, I guess I'm generally indifferent about the clock. I need to see more games, though. I was surprised to see it at 15 seconds when they first announced it.

I never had a probelm with the pace of the game. The longer it's on, the better. I love extra inning games. So, I can't say I wanted it sped up. And I think it's silly to think doing this is going to make the game appeal to more people. MLB has abandoned kids for so long and has it's own share of baggage. I never really considered the pace fo the game to be the problem. It's just as much a game of suspense as it is action.

Granted some pitchers were waaaaay too slow, But still...

I've read where a few game's time had been shaved by as much as an hour. That's significant.

It wasn't just pitchers dickin the dog. Some batters are just tedious.

It wasn't just pitchers dickin the dog. Some batters are just tedious.
    Absolutely.

Batters like to mess with a pitcher's timing but damn, just get in the box and get to work. I like the pitch clock.

It's an idea that's long overdue. A faster paced game? I'd watch that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Batters like to mess with a pitcher's timing but damn, just get in the box and get to work. I like the pitch clock.
    Yeah, I freaking love it. And I love that most of the impact is on the hitters, as I can't stand watching these guys fidgeting with the batting gloves and cups.

I'm generally not a fan of most of the changes that Manfred has made and wants to make, but this will have a positive impact on the game, IMO.

Wandy Peralta struck out a better in 20 seconds the other day. Granted, it was a Pittsburgh Pirate.

So, what is the general consensus among players re: the clock? Maybe it's a bit too early.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, what is the general consensus among players re: the clock? Maybe it's a bit too early.
    Zack Wheeler has been quoted as not liking it.

Now if they could only shorten the season

Now if they could only shorten the season
    PLEASE, NO!

That will soon be banned, too, just as they're banning Scherzer's "quick pitch" attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That will soon be banned, too, just as they're banning Scherzer's "quick pitch" attempt.
    They're not actually banning the quick pitch. it's already against the existing rule. They needed to clarify it, though.