Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2023

Orioles' Rutschman became the first catcher in major league history with five hits in an opener, and the Baltimore Orioles survived a wild ninth inning to beat the Boston Red Sox 10-9.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Baseball is officially here.
    Indeed. Aaron Judge hit a HR on the second pitch he faced,
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Indeed. Aaron Judge hit a HR on the second pitch he faced,
    Indeed - Ohtani struck out 10, six shutout innings and Angels still lose.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Indeed - Ohtani struck out 10, six shutout innings and Angels still lose.
    The most Angels game ever.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The most Angels game ever.
    Well, Trout did survive it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Are they using the NFL review board in baseball now. These guys really suck.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Are they using the NFL review board in baseball now. These guys really suck.
    Is this about the Kiké Hernandez hit by pitch review?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Is this about the Kiké Hernandez hit by pitch review?
    That was pathetic. That call cost the Orioles the game because Duvall would have never batted in the ninth. Forget about all the bad calls at first that cost the Orioles runs.

I watched what might have bene the worst-ever calling of balls and strikes in the Bronx today. Of all the things that need fixing...

Time of Guardians-Mariners game tonight: 2 hrs 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That was pathetic. That call cost the Orioles the game because Duvall would have never batted in the ninth. Forget about all the bad calls at first that cost the Orioles runs.
    It must be great to go through life always finding ways to rationalize external events so that you don’t have to face reality.

While the Kike call defies explanation, it is 1,000% indisputable that the reason the Red Sox won the game was McKenna’s drop of a simple fly ball, which if he caught would have ended the game…

https://nypost.com/2023/04/01/oriole...tine-fly-ball/

…followed by Bautista’s failure to get Duvall out.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^

Easiest catch, too. He just stood there and decided to one-hand it.

Anybody see that moonshot that Stanton launched yesterday? 485 feet (second-longest of his career) and 117+ MPH.

I watched what might have bene the worst-ever calling of balls and strikes in the Bronx today. Of all the things that need fixing...
    The Phillies had CB Bucknor the other day. All of the changes MLB is trying to implement, and they ignore the biggest issue in the game.

That said, the Phils are playing so poorly that the best quality of umpiring isn't going to help. There are lines around here at the bridges, with everyone wanting to jump....

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It must be great to go through life always finding ways to rationalize external events so that you don’t have to face reality.

While the Kike call defies explanation, it is 1,000% indisputable that the reason the Red Sox won the game was McKenna’s drop of a simple fly ball, which if he caught would have ended the game…

https://nypost.com/2023/04/01/oriole...tine-fly-ball/

…followed by Bautista’s failure to get Duvall out.
    I can't imagine how McKenna must have felt after that. Just awful.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Phillies had CB Bucknor the other day. All of the changes MLB is trying to implement, and they ignore the biggest issue in the game.
    Yankees had Laz Diaz (sp?) behind the plate for the home opener. It was a disgrace.

Well, I'm going to say it. I think the games are too quick now. I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud; I don't mind a clock. I just think they shaved too much time off the game.

Well, I'm going to say it. I think the games are too quick now. I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud; I don't mind a clock. I just think they shaved too much time off the game.
    I decided to watch at least part of a game to see what effect the changes had made. I haven't watched more than an inning or two of any game in a lot of years, after growing up a dedicated Mets fan in the 60s. Anyhow, I turned on the Mets-Brewers game and, to me, they got it right. The main reason I'd lost interest was the length of games, pitchers wandering around the mound between every pitch, batters stepping out to adjust gloves, helmets, jewelry. I don't mind a three hour game if they keep it moving.

I gotta admit, some of the things that were different since I last paid attention to MLB were strange: baserunners wearing an oven mitt, I assume to protect their hands when sliding; challenges and reviews; a Brewers player putting on a "cheese-head" in the dugout after hitting a homerun. But those are minor. Just the fact that they've reduced the amount of down time between pitches makes the game more enjoyable for me.

Now, about this "ghost-runner" in extra innings...

For me, it's more about the pace of the game than the length. And the pace is greatly improved, IMO.

The eons are closing
    I am so glad to see The Jeter Effect at the plate virtually disappear - and the Wandering Closer effect too
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't think I've heard a play-by-play announcer complete a sentence at the end of a half inning once so far this season; they always shift immediately to a commercial as soon as the ball hits the glove.

I've decided to give MLB a chance again, after mostly walking away around 10 years ago. So far, I think the clock is a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't think I've heard a play-by-play announcer complete a sentence at the end of a half inning once so far this season; they always shift immediately to a commercial as soon as the ball hits the glove.
    Plus, they are sticking in ads wherever they can. Quick shot of the bullpen warming up, go to split screen and run an ad.

I do agree that the clock is an improvement. but the game seems a bit rushed to me. A few more seconds on the clock would be nice.

Maybe if Ohtani complains, they'll do something about it.

Plus, they are sticking in ads wherever they can. Quick shot of the bullpen warming up, go to split screen and run an ad.
    It's gross. And ads on the uniforms are coming, as well.

Very cool, very detailed guide to MiLB parks: https://www.mlb.com/fans/ballpark-guides
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.