Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: New YES studio album- Mirror to the Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    This describes how I feel perfectly. Thank you! I could easily endure until the end of my days with just the music that they created between 1971 and 1980 (minus Tormato). Of course, there are a few odd tracks in between that are notable, but 'albums-wise,' 1971-1980 is the essence.
    Bingo, same for me.

I'll have the "1968 - 1994" minus the Tomato and Onion, please.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Can we start a new thread listing what else PE folks won't buy?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I could easily endure until the end of my days with just the music that they created between 1971 and 1980 (minus Tormato).

Yet, if they released an album on par with Tormato, I'm guessing people around here would be jumping for joy.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yet, if they released an album on par with Tormato, I'm guessing people around here would be jumping for joy.
    A return to form!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I like Tormato very much, its still classic Yes for me but just not quite as good as what went before. Future Times/Rejoice, Release Release, Silent Wings and the much maligned Arriving UFO are essential tracks, the rest of the songs not so much.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I'm looking forward to this. I still enjoy listening to the Quest. Definitely at the mellow end of the Yes spectrum but the songs are worthy IMHO. H&E well maybe no so much...

So in 2023 we will have new albums by Yes, Tull, Soft Machine and even Sparks. Quite a year for classic prog and rock acts!
    What's the Soft Machine album in 2023? Or do you mean the one from Cuneiform from last year, which I think just came out on vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I like Tormato very much, its still classic Yes for me but just not quite as good as what went before. Future Times/Rejoice, Release Release, Silent Wings and the much maligned Arriving UFO are essential tracks, the rest of the songs not so much.
    ...and Madrigal and Onward are nice shorter tracks that do not in any way reduce the quality of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's the Soft Machine album in 2023? Or do you mean the one from Cuneiform from last year, which I think just came out on vinyl?
    Leonardo announced a new album by the current band, to be released this summer. Followed by some USA dates! The recording lineup is Etheridge/Travis/Baker/Marshall with Babbington guesting.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

"what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

There's hope, there's always hope. Maybe the band come up with something creditable. I thought there were some nice things on Quest. I would rather have new music because you just never know. A long shot to be sure, but I am forever hopeful.
    Welcome to PE. If you want to watch old men argue about old musicians, you've come to the right place!

jamesmanzi

If The Quest was an album by a new prog band it'd be praised to the mountains high. Because it is under the Yes banner, it is immediately compared & reviled.

If The Quest was an album by a new prog band it'd be praised to the mountains high. Because it is under the Yes banner, it is immediately compared & reviled.
    I know there are going to be folks who insist that's not true, but I think you're probably right. It's being held to a different standard because of the Yes name (whether one believes it's fair or not).

It's perfectly fine for people not to like it of course. It doesn't diminish my own enjoyment of the music. Even if I don't feel it excites my brain the same way that CTTE or Relayer do, I wasn't expecting that from Yes these days anyway. They're in a different space than they were in 1973, and much of the lineup is different now.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If we do, I assume "won't buy" includes things we won't buy but might stream?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If we do, I assume "won't buy" includes things we won't buy but might stream?
    It applies to everything from yes to wheat crackers to bacon double cheeseburgers.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm not a big fan of the new line up but it's still pretty impressive they dare to make new music at this time in their career. I would have loved to see this happen with Crim.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ... pretty impressive they dare to make new music at this time in their career. I would have loved to see this happen with Crim.
    Agreed 100% - I think KC missed an opportunity in choosing to skip making a studio album with the recent line-up. IMHO they had nothing to lose.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the new line up but it's still pretty impressive they dare to make new music at this time in their career...
    I agree. Yes do not have to make new music since they've shown time and again that they can still draw sufficient crowds to their shows to allow them to continue touring. Most people going to these shows are primarily interested in hearing them play their classics, yet the band is still compelled to create new music. The Quest appears to have been well-received, at least in comparison with H&E, so people have more reason to hope than they would have had The Quest never happened.

I agree. Yes do not have to make new music since they've shown time and again that they can still draw sufficient crowds to their shows to allow them to continue touring. Most people going to these shows are primarily interested in hearing them play their classics, yet the band is still compelled to create new music. The Quest appears to have been well-received, at least in comparison with H&E, so people have more reason to hope than they would have had The Quest never happened.
    Yeah, good point. I have to admire them for still putting forth the effort to make new music, even if (for me) it doesn't reach the heights of what came before. Like you said, they don't have to do it.

The Quest is certainly a big improvement on Heaven and Earth, in the same way that Talk was a huge improvement on Union. The classic damning with faint praise.
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

Summer is a good time for a new Yes album. The Quest is a good record. I'm hoping we'll get some new tracks worked into the live set.

I've always liked Heaven and Earth because it came out that summer, 2014, and it just clicked with that summer in the mountains. Like a soundtrack to that summer's adventures. I still remember it fondly. Hoping the same for the new one! I appreciate they still write and record new music. Some of their recent music reminds me of the Remembering.

A Living Island is pretty much the only song that's stayed in my head from The Quest and it's not an album I revisit much, if at all, anymore. If I were to take that, some Arc of Life, Steve's Love Is and a smattering of DBA as a melting pot of ideas that might go into making up a new Yes album then I'm probably not that excited. That said, I always thought that as a group they were often more than the sum of their parts so who knows? I may be pleasantly surprised. Let's hope so.

I kind of enjoyed The Quest so yeah I am ready for a new album. Little bit more complexity and especially EDGE would be nice however.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

^"Far from the edge" would be a suitable name for their latest efforts. That said, I quite enjoyed The Quest for what it is. Avoiding to compare it to their past glory helped on that matter.

It is so emotional and filled with admiration to see the Maestro Roger Dean at work in his studio. He is masterful even with all of today's technology available for arts, he still does his masterpieces by hand and shows how creative he has always been.

I too will be interested in the new album and like the last 3 albums, it will be mostly for the artwork and not so much for the music. But it's still Yes.