Thread: What're ya reading?

What're ya reading?

I'm an inveterate reader, coupla books per week. Always on the lookout for new pulp to consume. I read almost exclusively non-fiction, mostly science and political science and analysis. Stuff that helps me understand the world I live in (or try to).

Right now I'm 1/2 through Malcolm Gladwell's "Talking to Strangers" (2019) which is an odd mix of stories about the efficacy of torture, the unreliability of eyewitness testimony, the effects of alcohol on the brain, stories about spies who weren't caught and non-murderers who were. As with most of his books, the connections he makes between widely-divergent fields are brilliant.

Before this I read Maggie Haberman's 600-page "Confidence Man" which was absolutely horrifying, but probably the moderators of this board won't let us discuss it.

Banned
    Yep, I read that. Appalling and disgusting of course. That fact that it still breaths the free air is a complete travesty.

"Talking to Strangers" sounds interesting.

Right now, I'm reading what I believe is the Bukowski's last book "Shakespeare Never Did This" which is basically an account of his late trip to Europe, "Fully Automated Luxury Communism" by Aaron Bastani which is a fascinating look at political/societal possibilities in a post-scarcity world and "Composers: Their Lives and Works" by DK London / Penguin Random House. It's a nice survey of noted composers from late Medieval/Eary Renaissance to modern. It even has a nice two-page layout on one of my new favorites, Alfred Schnittke. It a hardback, nicely designed coffee-table kind of a book, but well done.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thanks Mozo. That thread seems to be mostly (entirely?) fiction. Maybe mine can remain distinct?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    As usual.

There's a lot of nonfiction discussed on the other thread (much of which is books about music, but not by any means all); this thread is pretty much redundant.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm reading Redundancy by Ben Therby IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    There's a lot of nonfiction discussed on the other thread (much of which is books about music, but not by any means all); this thread is pretty much redundant.
    Oh okay. I retract the thread.