Thread: Shakti 50th Anniversary

Banned

Shakti 50th Anniversary

Shakti is back with a new album and a tour lead by John McLaughlin and Zakir Hussain. I'll be buying tickets Friday morning when they go on sale for a venue close to me (well a 2 1/2 hour drive). I've been a fan for decades and I'm psyched about finally seeing them. Interestingly, Béla Fleck and Bill Frisell will guest on some dates.

...Didn't see a post about this, apologies if I missed it.

Austin is 4 hours from here, but that might be worth the drive. I saw Shakti once, in Ann Arbor more than 40 years ago.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

They are playing at Wolf Trap this summer August 23rd.
    Any local peeps that might be interested in a ticket let me know before Monday the 13th.
    member presale.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    ^^^ They're playing the Keswick Theatre in PA the Friday before - I'm driving the extra 1 1/2 hours to see them there rather than Wolf Trap. It will be well worth it to me.

They're playing at Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco. Tickets go on sale March 17, they told me, with a presale a few days before.

I'm more interested in the new album than the tour, thought they're playing on Boston in August, and I'll likely go. Any word on when the album hits the streets?

Bill

Hear a great interview with the legendary John McLaughlin in the Echoes Podcast. . We talk to music icon John McLaughlin about his reformed Indian Fusion group, Shakti, improvisation, meditation and more. Be in the presence of greatness on the Echoes Podcast. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-o2z

Shakti: Tiny Desk Concert

SET LIST
    "Shrini's Dream"
    "Lotus Feet"
    "Bending the Rules"

MUSICIANS
    John McLaughlin: guitar
    Zakir Hussain: tabla
    Selvaganesh Vinayakaram: kanjira, ghatam
    Shankar Mahadevan: vocals
    Ganesh Rajagopalan: violin

The SF show was beautiful. It was also a sort of Last Hurrah for Randall Kline, who handed the reins to Terence Blanchard recently.
    During a short break in the music, Zakir personally thanked Randall, from the stage, for all he did for Jazz and for Zakir himself, personally, and asked him to come up on stage....which Randall Kline did, climbing up onto the stage from the floor, and not using the stairs, LOL. Zakir then bestowed his shawl on Randall and gave him a hug, and while Randall was basking in the well-deserved applause, Zakir reached down, picked up one of his tabla, and presented it to Randall in front of the audience.

Not a dry eye in the house.

I LOVE SF Jazz.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."