Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Was John Wetton a 'good' bass player?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    If progressive rock did nothing else, it gave us three of the greatest singing bassists of all time: Squire, Lake and Wetton.
    Squire and Wetton, sure. Lake was a fine singer in his day but a competent, not spectacular, bass player. I'd put Geddy Lee as the third in that trilogy.
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    I got to meet John several times and asked him about favourite bass players , he immediately said Miroslav Vitous
    Thanks for this, I'm about to go down a rabbit hole to explore more of Miroslav Vitous' music!

IMHO John Wetton was one of THE greats. I'm still trying to emulate his tone and stylistic playing! And to think some of this music was created 50 years ago is hard to believe. He may not have been the first but I would still consider him to be one of the pioneers of prog rock bass.

Love the isolated bass video. Here's another one:

I can see Miroslav's influence on John, actually! The fuzz, the aggressive attack, even some of the fills.

Seven8--Weather Report's Live in Tokyo is the shit. Miroslav has a long solo career afterward, and I love most of it (there are a few over-the-top "funk" bits I am lukewarm on)--but that early live WR stuff is burning.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Seven8 View Post
    Love the isolated bass video. Here's another one:
    I Never realized the intro and outro parts were multitracked. That explains a lot of the rich melodic content in those sections.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by vostoklake View Post
    Squire and Wetton, sure. Lake was a fine singer in his day but a competent, not spectacular, bass player. I'd put Geddy Lee as the third in that trilogy.
    When Greg introduced his bass player in the 2007 Greg Lake Live DVD, he said in essence: "I used to think I was pretty good. But this guy is good." I'd have to watch it again to more accurately quote Greg.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I think Lake was a superb player--"Schizoid Man" shows he had serious chops at a young age--who got lazy and complacent. Emerson complained in at least one interview about Lake just wanting to play the basic written parts without any stretching out.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Just seeing him with Jobson as the UK trio, singing and playing the squirrelly bass lines is enough evidence of his talent on the instrument
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I think Lake was a superb player--"Schizoid Man" shows he had serious chops at a young age--who got lazy and complacent. Emerson complained in at least one interview about Lake just wanting to play the basic written parts without any stretching out.
    Yep, Greg relied to much on Keith left hand, replicating too often the same pattern but on a bass. Technically a good player, but too often lazy and a lack of creativity.

I'll never forget that Lake had to get Lee Jackson to show him how to play "Rondo"

Wetton is certainly a better bassist than a singer, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    Yep, Greg relied to much on Keith left hand, replicating too often the same pattern but on a bass. Technically a good player, but too often lazy and a lack of creativity.
    My thoughts as well.

I'll never forget that Lake had to get Lee Jackson to show him how to play "Rondo"
    Where did you read that?

Can't really see one inflated ego (GL) asking another bloated ego (LJ) for help.

I'd think LJ wouldn't have collaborated, because of The Nice's acrimonious end.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One curiosity to note about Wetton's bass playing is that, like Robert Fripp, he was a left-hander playing his instrument right-handed.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Where did you read that?
    I was sure I saw it quoted in Hanson's Nice biography, but can't find it. Here are a couple of other people who obviously heard the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    One curiosity to note about Wetton's bass playing is that, like Robert Fripp, he was a left-hander playing his instrument right-handed.
    So Wetton-era KC is disproportionately left-handed music. Possibly explains why it gels with my southpaw brain.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

He's a monster of a player, and his contribution to the Lark's period King Crimson is simply indispensable. His playing is heavy as hell, virtuosic and innovative. One of the best players to ever touch the instrument.

Easily one of the best rock bassists ever. Why is this even questioned?
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

I was sure I saw it quoted in Hanson's Nice biography, but can't find it. Here are a couple of other people who obviously heard the same story.
    Yes, it is in Hanson's Nice biography, page 48.

["Rondo"] develops from Lee [Jackson]'s galloping bass (Greg Lake once asked Lee to show him how to do it, but never mastered it)
    Also, the Nice did not end "acrimoniously", again according to Hanson, in the sense that Emerson, Davison and Jackson remained on personally friendly terms although the latter were obviously unhappy that the band ended.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNefariousHED View Post
    Easily one of the best rock bassists ever. Why is this even questioned?
    Because I can't really hear what he's doing on the older songs, and I'm not a bass player. And I wanted to hear opinions.

Top 5

Squire
    Wetton
    Myung
    Lake
    Beggs

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Because I can't really hear what he's doing on the older songs, and I'm not a bass player. And I wanted to hear opinions.
    That is odd as Wetton's bass is usually very prominent on the mixes of King Crimson records.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Top 5

Squire
    Wetton
    Myung
    Lake
    Beggs
    No Pekka Pohjola? Sacrilege

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Top 5

Squire
    Wetton
    Myung
    Lake
    Beggs
    Geddy Lee says hello...

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    That is odd as Wetton's bass is usually very prominent on the mixes of King Crimson records.
    From my first post, "All I've heard is UK and a couple of Asia tracks (I don't really like Asia)."

I only started to get into KC when Discipline came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    From my first post, "All I've heard is UK and a couple of Asia tracks (I don't really like Asia)."

I only started to get into KC when Discipline came out.
    Well If you are interested about Wetton’s bass playing I would recommend to check out his King Crimson albums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Well If you are interested about Wetton’s bass playing I would recommend to check out his King Crimson albums.
    His bass playing is also quite prominent in Mogul Trash (Litherland's group after being ejected from Colosseum).
    Not so familiar about Wetton's level in the mix of Family's two albums he did with them (Fearless & Bandstand), though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had to find out if he's 'good', first.