Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2023 NFL Discussion Thread

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think "4th and 20" will be converted far less often than onside kicks. Few coaches and QBs are talented enough to convert such a play.

As far as player safety goes, most of the players on special teams are on the team specifically for kick-offs and punts and not much else; they're kinda like sharks teeth. That's a lot of players hitting the bricks if those plays go away.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    At the end of a series of other plays, yes. As a starting point, it's a runner on 2nd base to start the inning, as far as being a regular play.
    A runner on 2B doesn't put the team on offense in danger of giving up more points.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A runner on 2B doesn't put the team on offense in danger of giving up more points.
    Yeah, I gave it some thought before posting. Knowing this is PE, I realized that someone would point out that the 2 instances are not exactly identical. Since that was irrelevant to my larger point, I decided to use it anyway, as it is illustrative of the point I was trying to make. So I added the clause at the end, "as far as being a regular play." That was intended to convey that the metaphor was only intended to extend that far, but not across the board in every aspect. Best laid plans and all...

Phew!

Yeah, I gave it some thought before posting. Knowing this is PE, I realized that someone would point out that the 2 instances are not exactly identical. Since that was irrelevant to my larger point, I decided to use it anyway, as it is illustrative of the point I was trying to make. So I added the clause at the end, "as far as being a regular play." That was intended to convey that the metaphor was only intended to extend that far, but not across the board in every aspect. Best laid plans and all...

Phew!
    I agree.

I wanted to say a few things about last season, but I guess I can't.

ghost runner thing is dumb but MLB has a big problem with games going on way too long, I think this is probably the best they could've done
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    MLB has a big problem with games going on way too long
    That's definitely a matter of opinion.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

ghost runner thing is dumb but MLB has a big problem with games going on way too long, I think this is probably the best they could've done
    They could just have a wheel with a fixed arrow, divided into 3 equal segments with the numbers 1, 2 & 3 respectively. One number allocated to each segment. At the beginning of each inning, the manager goes out to home plate and spins the wheel. Whichever number it lands on is the number of outs his team gets that half inning before reverting to the team in the field.

We could get this shit wrapped up fairly quickly.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

nyuk nyuk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That's definitely a matter of opinion.
    look I enjoy a marathon game from time to time but I'm guessing MLB's own viewership data confirms it

still remember a Brewers/Dodgers NLCS from 4-5 years ago in which one of the games lasted until like 1:30 AM. I know a lot of hardcore Brewers fans and half of them were like "screw it, I have to work tomorrow". I suppose it don't happen often but it's a real problem.

Bobby Wagner back to the Seahawks for one year/7mil

NYG makin' a bit of a splash with free agency...lovin' it so far.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The eons are closing
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Not really.

The eons are closing
    Always downers in thread but yes, Rich Eisen has an opinion. What was actually important is the formal request to move on prior to designation - which adds color to Raven decision on non exclusive.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Always downers in thread but yes, Rich Eisen has an opinion. What was actually important is the formal request to move on prior to designation - which adds color to Raven decision on non exclusive.
    Lamar is a stupid, greedy, selfish person. If he really wanted to win a super bowl he would have played in the playoffs this year. The Ravens offered him 200 million guaranteed, just not the way he wanted it. He basically shit on the team and the players that worked so hard through injuries and pain to get to the playoffs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Lamar is a stupid, greedy, selfish person. If he really wanted to win a super bowl he would have played in the playoffs this year. The Ravens offered him 200 million guaranteed, just not the way he wanted it. He basically shit on the team and the players that worked so hard through injuries and pain to get to the playoffs.
    There are two sides to every equation. I propose this hypothesis:

Baltimore Ravens broke Lamar and Lamar maybe doesn’t even know it. The Ravens’ insistence that he be a better thrower, and he agreed to bulking up to meet that goal, broke him, and he wasn’t broke. Before that, the retarded COVID policy of the NFL to punish healthy, young performers, caused Lamar to be isolated from the team during 2020 and 2021 seasons. Of course coaches are going to put the positive spin on it, in order to not exacerbate a negative situation. But truth is truth, young people have been screwed by politics pretending to help the weak. The additional bulk Lamar gained, slowed down his ground game and made his arm less accurate and more likely to overthrow. Not that he didn’t perform well by the later part of last season, but by the time he adapted, he got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    There are two sides to every equation. I propose this hypothesis:

Baltimore Ravens broke Lamar and Lamar maybe doesn’t even know it. The Ravens’ insistence that he be a better thrower, and he agreed to bulking up to meet that goal, broke him, and he wasn’t broke. Before that, the retarded COVID policy of the NFL to punish healthy, young performers, caused Lamar to be isolated from the team during 2020 and 2021 seasons. Of course coaches are going to put the positive spin on it, in order to not exacerbate a negative situation. But truth is truth, young people have been screwed by politics pretending to help the weak. The additional bulk Lamar gained, slowed down his ground game and made his arm less accurate and more likely to overthrow. Not that he didn’t perform well by the later part of last season, but by the time he adapted, he got injured.
    But they offered him 200 million guaranteed and he turned it down. That's the bottom line. He just wants to be king of the hill.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    But they offered him 200 million guaranteed and he turned it down. That's the bottom line. He just wants to be king of the hill.
    Schefter said the Ravens offered a contract that had $133 million guaranteed at signing, a total of $175 million guaranteed in case of injury and an additional $25 million in a “springing guarantee” if Jackson were on the roster five days after the start of the 2026 league year.

Schefter added all of those together for $200 million in “total guarantees,”

Jackson first responded with a GIF of a confused man, and then added “133/3years fully guaranteed” with a frowning emoji and “but I need an agent?” with laughing and facepalm emojis.

Jackson’s “fully guaranteed” money added up to $133 million over three years, which is both less per year and less total years than Watson received from the Browns last year.

look I agree with him that the Watson contract was insane and I love that it's creating chaos and drama in the NFL

Banned
    look I agree with him that the Watson contract was insane and I love that it's creating chaos and drama in the NFL
    Yes, I have never seen so many videos on YT about one player.

Banned
    New record set for QB photoshopped into uniforms for different teams, Lamar Jackson

Baltimore Ravens legend Ray Lewis holds the record for most tackles in a season with 156 in 1997.

But take this one with a grain of salt because (surprisingly) the tackle statistic was not kept until the 1994 season.