Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson- Band Geeks Tour

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Interesting how I was led to these clips. The recent Steve Howe interview video popped up this evening which led me to listen to Dare to Know live clip... when you compare the Awaken "energy" to Dare to Know.. geez.. looking forward to viewing the other videos that have been posted..
    Edit.. the Close to the Edge clip is smoking..
    I couldn’t make it through the Dare To Know track. Turgid. Lifeless. It’s time to let Anderson have the Yes name, he is the one doing it justice now.

The whole opening night is on Dimeadozen, well worth downloading. As well as Anderson's voice, it's Castellano who is the stand out player on bass.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

What a concert. This deserves bigger audiences

Jon Anderson w/ The Band Geeks | Westbury NY April 14, 2023 | FULL SHOW AUDIO w/ SONG MARKERS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEochjg3db4
    0:00:00 Firebird Suite0:03:29 Yours Is No Disgrace0:13:31 Perpetual Change0:22:48 Close to the Edge0:40:58 Heart of the Sunrise0:54:03 Starship Trooper1:05:1...
    Last edited by GGYS06241; 04-16-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGYS06241 View Post
    What a concert. This deserves bigger audiences

Jon Anderson w/ The Band Geeks | Westbury NY April 14, 2023 | FULL SHOW AUDIO w/ SONG MARKERS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEochjg3db4
    0:00:00 Firebird Suite0:03:29 Yours Is No Disgrace0:13:31 Perpetual Change0:22:48 Close to the Edge0:40:58 Heart of the Sunrise0:54:03 Starship Trooper1:05:1...
    I don't know the names so well except for Ascolese and Castellano - but the person doing the Howe parts is incredible. Spot on.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I'd forgotten about The Band Geeks that I'd seen on You Tube before, I watched Awaken earlier and was pretty much spellbound. I have to say it; with Jon's voice and the incredible energy and precision of the Geeks this pretty much leaves the current Yes at the starting gate. Wow!

It's nice to read comments from folks who can appreciate something without shitting on something else.
    This outing of Anderson's is really separating the Yes Fans from the YesMusic Fans.

Wow, I have to say, they do sound very good!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I don't know the names so well except for Ascolese and Castellano - but the person doing the Howe parts is incredible. Spot on.
    Andy Graziano doing the Howe parts

Quote Originally Posted by GGYS06241 View Post
    Andy Graziano doing the Howe parts
    ... and switching to bass for the 2 YesWest songs.

Coming to the Bay Area the end of the year, I was told. Band Geeks videos have impressed me for a long time. Excellent musicians. Richie with Blue Oyster Cult and Chris Clark with Brand X, sadly now defunct. Jon still sounds terrific. Hoping they have a Bay Area date if all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    New UK date added at Shepherds Bush Empire as the other date sold out. I'm a happy camper as I was late to the party and missed out on the first date. Also a date in Dublin.
    I too missed out on the first Shepherds Bush Empire date, but I am not seeing a second date when I search, can you please link me to it.

Also are the UK shows with The Band Geeks, as my searches are coming up with the Paul Green Rock School?

The eons are closing
    I hope someone gets a good recording of the NJPaC show tonight.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I compared a recent Howe Yes version of CttE and Friday night's JA/BG version. The Howe Yes version is not very good frankly while the JA/BG is great. But why? Howe Yes hit all the notes. They seem well-rehearsed. Neither group handles the Wakeman solo very well. After 2 listens of each I think it comes down to the drums. The BG drummer is driving the song hard. He rocks so hard it swings. The band swing along with him. Schellen has the chops but he is just playing along. He's not leading. Howe and Downes seem to be setting the tempo at different points but they keep dropping the ball and it plods. What do you all think? Anything else going on I'm missing?

Last edited by arturs; 04-16-2023 at 05:12 PM.

Awaken was killer indeed. Only problem with us cursed with perfect pitch is that its a whole step down (D ; E is original). Those with PP will know what I'm talking about. Transpositions are tough for us. But amazing job!

Yeah, he's been doing Awaken in D for about ten years now, usually. I think Toddmobile is D#, if I remember right.

I've got mixed feelings about this.

The energy is fantastic. The way Yes music should be played. Ritchie is the star instrumentalist. The rest of the guys get it done, but their attention to detail varies. I think that an even better tribute band could be assembled with players who get closer to the original guys, but this is fine for now.

Is this better than current Yes when it comes to energy? It seems to be, but even Jon mentioned he had to tell these guys to chill out in a few spots for the sake of dynamics. So faster isn't always better. It's all about balance.

We've seen for decades what Yes music is like when the tempos drag. It never improves it. Now we get he other end of the tempo spectrum.

I'd love to see this. Not badly enough for a road trip. It's better than Jon with the SOR kids. That gig is cute and charitable, but very much a mixed bag.

Anyone post this yet?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, he's been doing Awaken in D for about ten years now, usually. I think Toddmobile is D#, if I remember right.

I've got mixed feelings about this.

The energy is fantastic. The way Yes music should be played. Ritchie is the star instrumentalist. The rest of the guys get it done, but their attention to detail varies. I think that an even better tribute band could be assembled with players who get closer to the original guys, but this is fine for now.

Is this better than current Yes when it comes to energy? It seems to be, but even Jon mentioned he had to tell these guys to chill out in a few spots for the sake of dynamics. So faster isn't always better. It's all about balance.

We've seen for decades what Yes music is like when the tempos drag. It never improves it. Now we get he other end of the tempo spectrum.

I'd love to see this. Not badly enough for a road trip. It's better than Jon with the SOR kids. That gig is cute and charitable, but very much a mixed bag.
    Did you see Jon with the Paul Green Rock Academy kids? I’m not impressed with the videos with the exception when viewed as evidence of Jon’s voice now. The group I saw live at ROSFest was better than videos on YT.
    Last edited by Firth; 04-17-2023 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I too missed out on the first Shepherds Bush Empire date, but I am not seeing a second date when I search, can you please link me to it.

Also are the UK shows with The Band Geeks, as my searches are coming up with the Paul Green Rock School?
    The UK shows are with the Paul Green Rock Academy.

The second London night is https://www.academymusicgroup.com/o2...s-tour-tickets

Last edited by bondegezou; 04-17-2023 at 04:38 AM.

I've been thinking about going, he's playing two nights right in my wheelhouse. Des Plains & St Charles. But I tend to be a bit burnt out on Jon (& Yes) right now, having seen him in ARW twice and his fantastic 1000 Hands tour. I think for me, the set list is still a little overplayed, been there done that. Even the epics are standards. What really impressed me last year was seeing Nick Mason live. His idea to tour playing Early Pink Floyd ONLY, is truly inspired. On top of the fact he's not playing what Gilmour & Waters typically do play. How cool would it be for Jon to tour playing Early Yes? Maybe the first 3 albums only. That would be badass really. I would buy tickets in a millisecond.

This band is as tight as a (Bruford) drum. Jon sounds excellent as always, lots of echo and some mix issues, but fantastic renditions and song choices.

And this is from THEIR FIRST SHOW!

I would much appreciate any detailed accounts [pictures would be fantastic] of what is available at the merch tables for this tour-especially interested in t shirts and baseball caps. Thanks in advance to anyone who might answer.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Awaken was killer indeed. Only problem with us cursed with perfect pitch is that its a whole step down (D ; E is original). Those with PP will know what I'm talking about. Transpositions are tough for us. But amazing job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, he's been doing Awaken in D for about ten years now, usually.
    Yes, including the ARW tour- one of very few songs affected. 'Awaken' doesn't work as well for me in a lower key, and even less with that nothing-y prelude ARW added on.

Listening to a bit of this, Anderson sounds older (obviously!) but still remarkably good. I don't think anyone else comes close singing these songs. It seems like this band used the original studio versions as the basis for these live arrangements.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-17-2023 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I've been thinking about going, he's playing two nights right in my wheelhouse. Des Plains & St Charles. But I tend to be a bit burnt out on Jon (& Yes) right now, having seen him in ARW twice and his fantastic 1000 Hands tour. I think for me, the set list is still a little overplayed, been there done that. Even the epics are standards. What really impressed me last year was seeing Nick Mason live. His idea to tour playing Early Pink Floyd ONLY, is truly inspired. On top of the fact he's not playing what Gilmour & Waters typically do play. How cool would it be for Jon to tour playing Early Yes? Maybe the first 3 albums only. That would be badass really. I would buy tickets in a millisecond.
    You really need to go.Not many more chances to catch something like this