Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson- Band Geeks Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Just a bit farther north in NJ in Newark, they had a real tough time filling the venue, even resorting to Groupon at the end.
    The NJPAC holds 3,352 people. I was amazed that they booked that sized venue. It looked fairly full to me. Didn't know that they used Groupon.

Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    While you have a valid point, the theaters in Chicago are run by the same promoter (https://oshows.com). This guy has run the Arcada for a long time and The Des Plaines Theater came on line a few years ago. This guy has also supported a lot of these types of acts for a while now and maybe the groups feel some loyalty to him, since a lot of these show are now playing in both theaters (which is great for me since the Des Plaines is a lot closer to my home). I have no idea if this effected a show in the Milwaukee area or not, but having two shows in two different theaters in the Chicago area, has become pretty common.
    Yeah, I know that (should have acknowledged it). I'm not arguing that it might not make more money for the artist combining the two, just lamenting that I miss the days of most artists hitting both cities as going to St. Charles just isn't going to happen every time but when an act we want to see hits Milwaukee, we almost always go. Many others still get up to the Pabst/Riverside still, but not as many as used to be the case.

When was the last time that Yes (the real Yes) sounded this good? Masterworks Tour?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    When was the last time that Yes (the real Yes) sounded this good? Masterworks Tour?
    They sounded fantastic on the Full Circle tour in 2002. And that included Revealing Science, Awaken, America, etc.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Can you see the real Yes?
    Can ya?
    Can ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    They sounded fantastic on the Full Circle tour in 2002. And that included Revealing Science, Awaken, America, etc.
    Agree. Incredible tour with Wakeman in tow. South Side of The Sky was kick ass. Even the next tour where they played Mind Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Agree. Incredible tour with Wakeman in tow. South Side of The Sky was kick ass. Even the next tour where they played Mind Drive.
    Yes, South Side was amazing to behold, and if I recall they even threw in We Have Heaven as the prelude.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The eons are closing
    Yes, South Side was amazing to behold, and if I recall they even threw in We Have Heaven as the prelude.
    That would be correct

2002/2003 were great shows and plenty of good ROIOs at Forgotten Yesterdays
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Before last year's tour, 2002 was the last time I saw Yes and it was a bit of a dream come true for me. I was too young to see the band in the 70's and always wanted to see a classic lineup. Before that the closest I came was the ABWH tour, which was also fantastic just with Tony Levin on bass. The Masterworks, Symphonic, and Ladder tours were also mostly excellent, but 2002 with Wakeman was next level.

I agree that 2002 was the last year that they really clicked on stage (the classic lineup), though 2004 had it's moments. They never took things at these Geek tempos though.

I saw three shows 2002-2004. They were all awesome; the best Yesshows I have ever seen. My first Yes concert was 1980 but I never got to see the AHSWW "classic" lineup until 2002. Southside was memorable especially with the Howe-Wakemen duel at the end, as was Awaken.

I have only seen them once since, at the 2013 Yestival thing. They were doing the 3-album tour. Squire was keeping the beat and propelling the music forward more than White but still that was sufficient. It was a good show.

I haven't looked forward to a show this much in I don't know how long. It's an absolute miracle that Jon still sounds like that, and the band around him are phenomenal.

If you see a fellow in a Washington Capitals jersey at Noona's Pizzeria on show night in Baltimore, say hi!

Billy Sherwood : And who the hell are you ??
    Richie Castellano : I am , The Ass Kicker of you.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I saw every Atlanta area Yes performance between 1988 and 2004 plus ABWH and I can’t say there was a single show that I felt wasn’t money well spent.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I saw every Atlanta area Yes performance between 1988 and 2004 plus ABWH and I can’t say there was a single show that I felt wasn’t money well spent.
    I'd basically agree with this. I missed a period in the early 90s after ABWH, but picked them up again after OYE... an album I despised but I felt the tour (or the tour in that period with Sherwood) was pretty good.

Generally, though, I'd agree with Sean and Chalkpie that Masterworks was the best they played, with the 2004 shows a tad behind. 2004 will likely stand as the last time I see Yes proper. This current Anderson tour is the first that has piqued my interest enough to consider, but they're not playing near me.

Bill

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

By youtubes alone, this is easily superior to any yes since the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'd basically agree with this. I missed a period in the early 90s after ABWH, but picked them up again after OYE...
    It’s unfortunate if you missed the Union tour…the set may not have been 100% gold, but it was mostly damn good, and that moment when it was just the Fragile-era quintet up there playing “Long Distance Runaround” was goosebumps time.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It’s unfortunate if you missed the Union tour…the set may not have been 100% gold, but it was mostly damn good, and that moment when it was just the Fragile-era quintet up there playing “Long Distance Runaround” was goosebumps time.
    Yeah, I did miss that one. I was in grad school at the time and they didn't play in Nashville. So it goes.

Bill

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Definitely one of the 3 or 4 concerts from my past that I still kick myself for missing. I had just started a new job and moved to northern NJ the week the tour was at Brendan Byrne Arena. One of my new work colleagues was going with friends and she offered me a ride, but it was sold out. So I declined. Stupid. I'm sure I could have picked up an extra single seat from someone in the parking lot.

Now I have a different but yet similar dilemma... Do I drive 3 hours to the Arcada theater for Jon and the BGs? Will I still be kicking myself 30 years from now if I don't?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Now I have a different but yet similar dilemma... Do I drive 3 hours to the Arcada theater for Jon and the BGs? Will I still be kicking myself 30 years from now if I don't?
    30 Years from now????? I’ll have to have the Nurse in the retirement home do it for me!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Every show I've seen by Yes, Yes ft ARW or otherwise involving Anderson, Howe, Bruford, Horn, Squire, Downes, White, Sherwood or Kaye in some other band or format was money well spent! Except the second Anderson Wakeman tour.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

In the Round, in San Diego! The show was pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    In the Round, in San Diego! The show was pretty awesome.
    It was! I saw the San Diego show for Union as well. I'd go again just to see the Fragile lineup. Terrible album the way it was released but fun tour for the fans and if memory serves, everyone on stage seemed to be having a good time, except maybe for Steve, but it can be hard to tell at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    It was! I saw the San Diego show for Union as well. I'd go again just to see the Fragile lineup. Terrible album the way it was released but fun tour for the fans and if memory serves, everyone on stage seemed to be having a good time, except maybe for Steve, but it can be hard to tell at times.
    Groo-vay! Steve looked like he was on. He changed clothes at least three times. We couldn't believe they busted out "Awaken." Rick's keyboard solo was the proverbial jaw drop. Tony's response was to open a beer onstage.

So , just up on UTUBE from the current tour , the entire The Gates Of Delirium including Soon. I don't know if its the first time Jon and The Band Geeks did TGOD on the tour but its the first I've heard of it. Certaintly wasn't at the Westbury show. From Reading PA , the Santander Performing Arts Center 4-23-23. Excellent! Theres enough life in this tour for a changing set list and the will to tackle something like TGOD. Kudos Jon.