Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Jon Anderson- Band Geeks Tour

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Was the full video posted up thread? Didn't see it.

https://youtu.be/xn-kFz5ibGA?si=OLYMBTotXXBnfvfR
    I love the single. I agree with y'alls comments. Could have been a hit at the time of Ladder or Talk. Has a similar vibe to those. It also reminds me of "California Sun" by the Outfield. The greatest 80s Yes song not by Yes...

I'm now really looking forward to the album, lousy cover and everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I like “Open Your Eyes”, the song, and if you compare the Yes track to the Squire/Sherwood version they did quite a bit of work on it.
    Agreed. It's the standout track, and the vocal lines that Jon added (and likely wrote) improved the Chris Squire Experiment original.

There's just more going on with "Shine On," and it feels like more work went into it. Of course, it's very much of a piece with the "power pop" side of Jon's music.

The single sounds very Yes-West.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I love the single. I agree with y'alls comments. Could have been a hit at the time of Ladder or Talk. Has a similar vibe to those. It also reminds me of "California Sun" by the Outfield. The greatest 80s Yes song not by Yes...

I'm now really looking forward to the album, lousy cover and everything...
    Great energy.. looking forward to hearing the whole album. I think Jon has found the ideal backup band for him.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Great energy.. looking forward to hearing the whole album. I think Jon has found the ideal backup band for him.
    Yeah, that band is really good. They play their instruments very well and they all sing. I'm sure they can play anything in the Yes repertoire. 'Shine On' is a Yes-West style tune, but there's quite a bit of very cool instrumental stuff going on behind the scenes. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album.

I think it's great that this music is happening. I also think it's great that Steve Howe has his Yes out there. So much for the days of "Well, you're 60, so get your affairs in order because you'll be going underground any day now". Rock on, boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I think the medley from the Tormato tour works pretty well.
    Agree.. a lot of thought went into that tour. 10th Anniversary tour etc. I guess one point that's been discussed in previous threads that "could" be applied here is that during the ARW tour Steve was whining about how Jon changed the arrangements of some of the classic Yes catalog and how the songs should be played as they were written.. fast fwd to the last tour with the cluster**** Silent Wings. And more on point to this thread here he's touring a bastardized version of Tales..?? Which is it Steve??

"Shine On" has grown on me. A nice poppy Yes song with a hook I remember and good playing.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

The JA and Band Geeks show in Concord, NH last night was great. The band played well and Jon was in fine voice. I wasn't that happy with the mix as it was hard to make out what a lot of the keys and guitars were doing (kind of important and it helped that I am familiar with the songs!), but it improved somewhat as the show went on.

After about an hour and a half the band took a break and they played a track from the upcoming album over the PA. Sounds promising!

They stopped playing in the middle of one of their new songs and restarted from the middle of the song after Jon ("my fault") made some mistake. I noticed Jon missed the beginning of one line in one of the classics and smacked his forehead afterward, but I thought he did really well overall. There was some weirdness in part of Close To The Edge, but I wasn't quite sure what happened...the muddled guitars and keys didn't help in figuring out what went wrong, but they got right back on track.

Overall great energy throughout the show and the audience was very appreciative with multiple standing ovations.
    <sig out of order>

I wanted to go to that Concord show, but I had other plans so I couldn't make it. How was attendance there? I saw Steve Hackett at the same venue a few years ago and it was maybe a third full.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    The JA and Band Geeks show in Concord, NH last night was great. The band played well and Jon was in fine voice. I wasn't that happy with the mix as it was hard to make out what a lot of the keys and guitars were doing (kind of important and it helped that I am familiar with the songs!), but it improved somewhat as the show went on.

After about an hour and a half the band took a break and they played a track from the upcoming album over the PA. Sounds promising!

They stopped playing in the middle of one of their new songs and restarted from the middle of the song after Jon ("my fault") made some mistake. I noticed Jon missed the beginning of one line in one of the classics and smacked his forehead afterward, but I thought he did really well overall. There was some weirdness in part of Close To The Edge, but I wasn't quite sure what happened...the muddled guitars and keys didn't help in figuring out what went wrong, but they got right back on track.

Overall great energy throughout the show and the audience was very appreciative with multiple standing ovations.
    I agree with your thoughts on the mix - couldn't they have bumped Jon's vocal's a tad?? I had the bass player in front of me yet it was hard to pick out the bass in the mix. I wonder if part of it is that there are no 'stage level' speaker; they are all mounted up at the top of the stage. Perhaps the balcony section had a better mix??

Also, I'm not sure if readers picked up on this ... in addition to playing one of the new songs on the PA during the break .... they played two of the new songs as part of the set! (Jon sayings "new song... new song... new song...." before the second)

And yes, Jon stopped partway into the second of them and asked to re-do the section, which they did (the guitarist held up 2 fingers and mouthed 'Take Two')

The place was full, and people stood and clapped after pretty much every song, save maybe the new ones
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I saw the band in Boston last night. Wow. Very excellent show. ABWH and Masterworks tours were close, but this may be the best I've heard Yes music played since I first saw the band on June 18, 1979, almost 45 years to the day of last night's show. The Geeks bring the goods, and do an incredible job of playing the parts, but also fitting them naturally into their own styles and bringing their own flair and energy to the music.

At just shy of 80 years old, Anderson still sings like he did in his 20s. It's pretty incredible. He's definitely showing his age. He's not the presence he used to be on stage, and I think some of his issues remembering words are a sign of things to come, but all of that is secondary to the fact that he's out there performing this music with vivacity and enthusiasm, and with a love that I haven't seen from the actual band in decades.

Pacing was great and the setlist was fantastic. That may have actually been the best live version of "Close to the Edge" I've ever heard. The original songs are not terrible (they played "Shine On" and "True Messenger" and "Counties and Counties" was played during intermission), but unsurprisingly, they're a bit too congested with lyrics and lean more toward the 80s sound than the 70s.

In any case, fantastic show that I pretty thoroughly enjoyed.

Bill

PXL_20240626_011504791.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Also, I'm not sure if readers picked up on this ... in addition to playing one of the new songs on the PA during the break .... they played two of the new songs as part of the set! (Jon sayings "new song... new song... new song...." before the second)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    The original songs are not terrible (they played "Shine On" and "True Messenger" and "Counties and Counties" was played during intermission), but unsurprisingly, they're a bit too congested with lyrics and lean more toward the 80s sound than the 70s.
    Early in the tour (I was at the first show, but have been reading about subsequent shows), Jon and the Geeks were playing three songs from the forthcoming album. Looks like they dropped the one that was dedicated to his wife (I hadn't caught the title of that one). And of course they dropped Owner after the first show as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Early in the tour (I was at the first show, but have been reading about subsequent shows), Jon and the Geeks were playing three songs from the forthcoming album. Looks like they dropped the one that was dedicated to his wife (I hadn't caught the title of that one). And of course they dropped Owner after the first show as well.
    No, they did play a tune dedicated to Jon's wife at the Concord, NH show. She was in the audience and I believe it was her birthday.
    <sig out of order>

No, they did play a tune dedicated to Jon's wife at the Concord, NH show. She was in the audience and I believe it was her birthday.
    Was the song called "Thank God"? That was the title of the song Jon wrote for his wife. If they dropped it from the regular set, that was a good decision.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

My apologies. They did perform "Thank God" in Boston, to which my reaction was basically "thank god it was over quickly." Utterly forgettable, which is why I forgot it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    My apologies. They did perform "Thank God" in Boston, to which my reaction was basically "thank god it was over quickly." Utterly forgettable, which is why I forgot it.

Bill
    Yeah, that was my impression of that song as well. Jon's wife was in the audience and he seemed quite thrilled to be singing it "to her", but it was the weakest of the new songs presented imho.

Yeah, that was my impression of that song as well. Jon's wife was in the audience and he seemed quite thrilled to be singing it "to her", but it was the weakest of the new songs presented imho.
    It sounds like things haven't really changed - I remember him dedicating a song to "my love....Jaaaaaneeee" at the Ladder tour in Stuttgart in 2000. I could've swore it was "If Only You Knew" but setlist.fm doesn't show them playing it that night. Maybe it was "It Will Be a Good Day" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    Was the song called "Thank God"? That was the title of the song Jon wrote for his wife. If they dropped it from the regular set, that was a good decision.
    Yes, that's the one. The weakest song of the whole show.
    <sig out of order>

Yes, that's the one. The weakest song of the whole show.
    Sounds like this is a unanimous opinion so far.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

The eons are closing
    Jon really hasn't dropped Owner - they did it seven more times after your show. But it gets caught up in the curfew thing (as it did in Englewood NJ).

Edit: the song that has truthfully been dropped is The Calling - which was done for the first two shows only IIRC

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Jon really hasn't dropped Owner - they did it seven more times after your show. But it gets caught up in the curfew thing (as it did in Englewood NJ).

Edit: the song that has truthfully been dropped is The Calling - which was done for the first two shows only IIRC

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    I for one was sorry to see that, I love The Calling and Talk in general.

Only just saw this, from 3 weeks ago - Utopia bassist Kasim Sulton liked the show

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    Only just saw this, from 3 weeks ago - Utopia bassist Kasim Sulton liked the show

They were also Blue Oyster Cult bandmates.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I for one was sorry to see that, I love The Calling and Talk in general.
    Agree, great song.