Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Midnight Special Releases Rock Films

^^ So fast
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I may have thought this song was Jethro Tull at one time :
    The local medieval-themed restaurant that was in business in Boston from the early '70s until just a few years ago used to open their show with that tune as a vocal piece for which they added lyrics with a "welcome to the House of the King" theme, oddly enough.

Banned

The latest addition, Episode 21 from June 22, 1973, hosted by The Bee Gees, has what I believe to be the only decent footage of Jimmie Spheeris performing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    Steely Dan did two more Midnight Specials but they seem to have been wiped, so we won't get to see two other versions of Reelin' in the Years, plus My Old School and Show Biz Kids from those.
    In case anyone hasn't realized, the August 31 performances surfaced shortly after and they're superb.
    From Peter Jones's biography of Fagen: "The only footage to survive dates from their first show [Feb 9 1973]. It would be interesting to know how they finessed the use of the word "fuck" in Show Biz Kids on network television" ...

That is some fine guitaring by Skunk Baxter on Show Biz Kids!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Wow, this video recording is the most pristine clear I have ever seen for this song, quite a gem indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Man, when I was a kid, Genesis was the epitome of weirdness. It looks a little cheesy now, but back then was downright disturbing.

The latest episode uploaded on the Midnight Special Youtube Channel has the aforementioned tracks by Focus (Hocus Pocus and House of the King), but also two GREAT performances (Hero and Heroine & Round and Round) by Strawbs. These are the best quality performances I've seen of that version of the band.