Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R.I.P. Ray Shulman

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    Devastating. Had no idea he was ill.
    I only knew because Ian Anderson mentioned it in an interview last year. But I had no idea what that meant specifically, and I soon forgot about it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Oh no... Another one of my heroes gone. I'm sad beyond words...

His bass sound alone...
    Listen to 'Another show' or 'His last Voyage'

Too often unheralded musician- great violinist, stellar & astonishing bassist. Go well, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Too often unheralded musician- great violinist, stellar & astonishing bassist. Go well, Ray.
    Well said. Ray was an amazing multi-instrumentalist, way ahead of his time. I am fortunate to have seen him live at least once and he was stellar, RIP.

When I was in Bergen two weeks back, the frequency of these posters summoned attention. I knew T.J. Miller by name and a handful of actor appearances in film, but even reviewers of his showround don't seem to realize the medieval reference as something beyond immediate design. Miller indeed -is- a proclaimed fanboy.

IMG_0071.jpg
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hosted by Anthony of Make Weird Music, and featuring Adam Minkoff playing a number of Ray's ingenious bass parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    When I was in Bergen two weeks back, the frequency of these posters summoned attention. I knew T.J. Miller by name and a handful of actor appearances in film, but even reviewers of his showround don't seem to realize the medieval reference as something beyond immediate design. Miller indeed -is- a proclaimed fanboy.

IMG_0071.jpg
    Wow! I never knew that. First thing I remember seeing him in was a TV show called “Carpoolers”. It only ran for one season, but it was funny in an understatedly goofy/zany kind of way. Then I saw him again in the first Cloverfield movie.

Anyway, always glad to see some love for GG from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

Hosted by Anthony of Make Weird Music, and featuring Adam Minkoff playing a number of Ray's ingenious bass parts.
    Amazing, it's great to see some of Ray's trickiest bass lines really *nailed*.

EDIT: And what a TONE!
    Last edited by Conti; 05-28-2023 at 07:43 PM.

Indeed. Minkoff is fantastic!!

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

Very very cool video. Was he absolutely brilliant on bass or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    IMO Ray was the "sekret sauce" that made GG great. Talk about a versatile musician, and a monumental loss to music.

RIP
    Absolutely. The heart and one of the major compositional voices in the band. May he rest in peace.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

A year ago today. R.I.P. Dear Ray.