Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Yard Work

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Was cutting the lawn Sunday and along the house was a six foot black snake. I caught it and brought it in the house. My middle daughter and husband and daughter were there celebrating her birthday. I have some pictures of myself and grandson holding the snake before we let it go back around the wood pile. It was gentle as baby. I wonder if it recognized me or my voice from catching it over the years.
    It was there to remind you of the deal you made.

I hate yard work. Mostly because it's outside. In the last couple of weeks, I've mowed/trimmed a couple times and trimmed hedges, removed weeds, etc. My allergies are raging (despite daily allergy meds) and I have some sort of poison oak thing happening on different parts of my body.

F*ck the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I hate yard work. Mostly because it's outside. In the last couple of weeks, I've mowed/trimmed a couple times and trimmed hedges, removed weeds, etc. My allergies are raging (despite daily allergy meds) and I have some sort of poison oak thing happening on different parts of my body.

F*ck the outdoors.
    I feel your pain, and take allergy shots too. I can't imagine what it would be like without allergies bugging me and not having to wear glasses.

The weather and my schedule finally aligned and I was able to get my spring weed/feed on the lawn yesterday. I also unboxed, set up and tested my new battery mower and string trimmer, and I think I'm going to love both. Of course, me being me, I managed to nick one of my wife's little rose bushes while giving the trimmer a trial run. Guess I know what I'm getting her for her birthday next month...
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^^ Autumn is when my townhouse complex seeds and feeds the grass. For a nice winter lawn. It's not so nice in the summer. Yes, winter lawns are a thing here in the Phoenix area.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

No weed and feed for me. I have far too much grass and do nothing to promote the growth. And I don't want the chemicals.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Regarding deer...try and stick with fragrant plants and shrubs. They will leave that stuff alone for the most part. I have been promoting and installing butterfly gardens for a while now as deer are a big problem in my area of NY. Good results, lots of nice plants to choose from and I'm always up for helping those so very important pollinators
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    No weed and feed for me. I have far too much grass and do nothing to promote the growth. And I don't want the chemicals.
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about it either, and this is the one time a year I do it. Our yard is so shaded that if I don't the weeds will completely take over the grass and that's what I'll be mowing all summer. This way the grass has a fighting chance. Maybe the balance of power will turn one of these years...
    David

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Regarding deer...try and stick with fragrant plants and shrubs. They will leave that stuff alone for the most part. I have been promoting and installing butterfly gardens for a while now as deer are a big problem in my area of NY. Good results, lots of nice plants to choose from and I'm always up for helping those so very important pollinators
    All around the Oradell reservoir its a Metropolis of Deer
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about it either, and this is the one time a year I do it. Our yard is so shaded that if I don't the weeds will completely take over the grass and that's what I'll be mowing all summer. This way the grass has a fighting chance. Maybe the balance of power will turn one of these years...
    If I want it to grow, it's a death sentence. If I don't want it to grow, it'll run amok. If it's survival of the fittest, the grass is royally fucked.

Deer are another problem we don't have here in the desert. Coyotes, scorpions and bobcats on the other hand................

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Deer are another problem we don't have here in the desert. Coyotes, scorpions and bobcats on the other hand................
    In Miami we deal with reptiles, ducks, and peacocks.

I live in east Texas in a wooded area, and we have lots of pest: ants, wasp, critters like skunks, snakes, possums, and I have a really bad problem with armadillos that tear up your yard digging for bugs. I guess I'm going to have to buy a trap or sit outside after dark and shoot them.

I had a rat that ran in my garage not long back. I wasn't sure what it was thinking maybe it was a mouse, however, set out a few mousetraps and that didn't phase it. I found one of those flat rat traps at a store, made of plastic and that did the trick. The flat traps have a scent to lure them onto it, and a real sticky substance on it to stick them to it. It catches them alive, but once stuck on the board you'll have to dispatch them as the substance is so sticky you can't hardly free them after that. At any rate, I was just glad to get it out of the garage.

Doah.....Went out to mow the yard before my upcoming roadtrip this afternoon. Happened to look up to see my neighbors hosting a party on their deck! Moved to the other side of the house and my neighbors are hosting a party in their cabana!

How was I supposed to know there were going to be parties today???? It's only Memorial Day......the first one in three years where we gather.......and they even have Friends come to visit? What a concept......I postponed the mowing to tomorrow.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Doah.....Went out to mow the yard before my upcoming roadtrip this afternoon. Happened to look up to see my neighbors hosting a party on their deck! Moved to the other side of the house and my neighbors are hosting a party in their cabana!

How was I supposed to know there were going to be parties today???? It's only Memorial Day......the first one in three years where we gather.......and they even have Friends come to visit? What a concept......I postponed the mowing to tomorrow.
    You're a considerate neighbor - all too rare these days, it seems. One of the benefits of going battery-powered this summer is that the mower is quiet enough that I don't worry as much about the noise. I still hold off until after 9 or 10 am on weekends. It's actually quiet enough that you can hold a conversation at normal volume while mowing, or listen to music in earbuds without wrecking your ears with volume. Now the string trimmer - that's still pretty obnoxious.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    You're a considerate neighbor - all too rare these days, it seems. One of the benefits of going battery-powered this summer is that the mower is quiet enough that I don't worry as much about the noise. I still hold off until after 9 or 10 am on weekends. It's actually quiet enough that you can hold a conversation at normal volume while mowing, or listen to music in earbuds without wrecking your ears with volume. Now the string trimmer - that's still pretty obnoxious.
    Yes. I get along with All my neighbors in the cul-de-sac. It comes in handy when I hit the road for 4-6 weeks. All retired, they keep a close eye on my casa. I also have motion-sensor floodlights all around my house so you can’t come up to my house in the dark. Also….they are up wandering around all night so it’s like 24-hour security! Oh, and I have a burglary alarm.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post

So was it rub dub, back in the tub?

So was it rub dub, back in the tub?
    The neighbors are 80+ yo. So, when I went to the tub at sunset….they were all long to bed.

The worst threat to one’s plants in the desert is Javelinas. They love to eat roots and flowers; they will dig down and root out plants in their quest for grubs which they adore. They can be very destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    The worst threat to one’s plants in the desert is Javelinas. They love to eat roots and flowers; they will dig down and root out plants in their quest for grubs which they adore. They can be very destructive.
    And I wouldn't want to encounter one. They can be vicious.