Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yard Work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yard Work

I assume others on PE have to do yard work around this time of year. My mower wouldn't start, I didn't winterize it like I should have, so tried the below video and after a few tries fired up. I also put in a new spark plug, air cleaner, and fresh gas (with Sea Foam in it).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    As long as nobody’s using Round-Up. That stuff is poison for the environment.

Can you use it to glaze a bathtub?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not sure. Can't think of a snappy answer...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Did you get it running? I'm clueless mechanically and my lawn mover is not running this season.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Did you get it running? I'm clueless mechanically and my lawn mover is not running this season.
    Yes, I did. Just did like the guy in the video. Squirt some of that Sea Foam in the carburetor, and put some in the gas tank like he did. It took a little bit of messing with, but I'd squirt more of that SF in the carburetor, eventually it started right up and I started mowing.

The eons are closing
    Toro lawn cutters with Honda motors are rock solid reliable
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Corded electric for me. Put it away for the season, take it out sharpen the blade. I have had the same one for almost 15 years.
    I did go through a couple over the first 15 before finding the one. The gauge of the extension cord is critical for long life.
    I really don't want a battery powered unit, much heavier. The cord is a minor hassle.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Corded electric for me. Put it away for the season, take it out sharpen the blade. I have had the same one for almost 15 years.
    I did go through a couple over the first 15 before finding the one. The gauge of the extension cord is critical for long life.
    I really don't want a battery powered unit, much heavier. The cord is a minor hassle.
    What brand is it? I'd probably run over the chord. I did cut into a extension chord once when trimming bushes with a hedge trimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    What brand is it? I'd probably run over the chord. I did cut into a extension chord once when trimming bushes with a hedge trimmer.
    Black & Decker. It might be possible to cut the cord by running over it, but i mow at the highest setting.
    Back in my youth I worked as a groundskeeper for an estate.
    Do not miss that.
    They had several hundred yards of tall hedges that had to be kept squared off.
    We would drag a generator out and trim away. I had a friend working with me for part of a summer who drew the hedge duty one day.
    I worried that he might 'cut the cord' but my fears were unfounded. He did suddenly drop the trimmer and run when he cut into a hornets nest. It was a big one.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I worried that he might 'cut the cord' but my fears were unfounded. He did suddenly drop the trimmer and run when he cut into a hornets nest. It was a big one.
    I have a circular driveway with about 20 bushes around the inside, and I get at least one yellowjacket or bald faced hornet nest that I have to deal with every year.

Black & Decker. It might be possible to cut the cord by running over it, but i mow at the highest setting.
    Back in my youth I worked as a groundskeeper for an estate.
    Do not miss that.
    They had several hundred yards of tall hedges that had to be kept squared off.
    We would drag a generator out and trim away. I had a friend working with me for part of a summer who drew the hedge duty one day.
    Thanks, yeah, wasp aren't fun. I had cut off my cable last year, and to check to see if they had actually done, I notice the cable box open. I climbed up my ladder and opened the box, and there were two wasp nest in there full of wasp. Thankfully it was a cool cloudy day and they did fly out at me. I just about jumped off the ladder though trying to get down. Went and got the wasp shot stuff and sprayed them.

One time a few years ago I was having trouble starting my mower. I must have been yanking on the pull cord for 15 minutes. I was pretty wiped out, so I went in the house to grab a cold drink, planning to squirt a little gas in the carburetor when I get back out there. All of a sudden I hear my mower running--WTF?
    I ran back outside and find my neighbor from across the street standing next to the mower with a can of starter fluid.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    One time a few years ago I was having trouble starting my mower. I must have been yanking on the pull cord for 15 minutes. I was pretty wiped out, so I went in the house to grab a cold drink, planning to squirt a little gas in the carburetor when I get back out there. All of a sudden I hear my mower running--WTF?
    I ran back outside and find my neighbor from across the street standing next to the mower with a can of starter fluid.
    [emoji23]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I didn't even know I was being observed.

Three pulls and the push mower started right up. The tractor started right up, too.

It's that time of year.

And +100000000 on the Round Up. I had a neighbor with six (!!) kids who used it all the time. He didn't seem to give a shit about the poison. He also never had his well water tested. (I'm using city water, BTW). He had a kitchen renovation that was out of code, his shed was out of code, and the house addition was a mess. Real dumbass, that guy.

EDIT: After they moved away, kid #7 came along. And the new neighbor had tp deal with all the shit he left behind.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have four mowers, two I bought and two were given to me. The battery one starts all the time. The electric one was given to my uncle when he opened a bank account maybe 35 years ago. I think my wife may have used it once, they are a pain in the ass. I have a light duty gas one I bought for about $100 which starts every time. I have a heavy duty all wheel drive lawn boy with a Kohler engine which starts with as much effort as flushing a toilet. My partner gave it to me because he like me already had too many mowers but I took it anyway. I leave the same gas in the mowers over the winter and keep the gas can outside year round under the back deck without a speck of problem with bad gas. My neighbor cuts lawns and has more problems with bad gas or dirty carburetors that I'm constantly helping him with mowers,weed eaters and chain saws. I helped my old mechanic around the corner yesterday by cutting his front lawn because they are both in bad health. Three hours and eight bags of grass later I finally finished, what a pain in he ass that was.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

My 20 yr old gas mower finally died at the end of last season, and I'm going battery this year; picked up an Ego mower and string trimmer. Still in the box, but looking forward to breaking out the quiet and fume-free soon.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    My 20 yr old gas mower finally died at the end of last season, and I'm going battery this year; picked up an Ego mower and string trimmer. Still in the box, but looking forward to breaking out the quiet and fume-free soon.
    I've wondered how the electric equipment holds up. I assume it will be how most things move with the e-awareness and with e-cars.

We moved into a condo so I don't have to deal with that anymore. I hope to never touch a lawnmower or snowblower again in my life.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We moved into a condo so I don't have to deal with that anymore. I hope to never touch a lawnmower or snowblower again in my life.
    I broke my toe this February so I hired company to do my driveway. Holy shit, how easy as that. I'm going to contract again next year. It costs me $230 to tune up my snowblower each year and the service is $540 - It' a no brainer to continue.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I broke my toe this February so I hired company to do my driveway. Holy shit, how easy as that. I'm going to contract again next year. It costs me $230 to tune up my snowblower each year and the service is $540 - It' a no brainer to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We moved into a condo so I don't have to deal with that anymore....
    Same here. I don't have to get up in the wee hours of the morning. To beat the 115 degree heat.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Charge those batteries at the end and beginning of every season.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My friend just south of Minneapolis went out Wednesday and saw her lawn for the first time since last October. (snow / ice) There she "saw" 7 Months of Dog Poo from 4 dogs! She said she filled a 3-gallon bucket 8 times......NOW will need to get the mower out.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga