Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Spock's Beard done?

I've followed SB for nearly 20 years, and while not all of their post-Neal albums have hit me as hard as some of their "classic" stuff, I've still been a fan. I think that X was actually excellent, and stands equal to some of their best work with Neal. It's different -- lacking the "Neal Morse Formula" -- but that's a point in its favor for me.

Would love to hear more music from them, should they feel inclined to make any. They're still an automatic buy for me.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Been in any Yes threads lately?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Would love to hear more music from them, should they feel inclined to make any. They're still an automatic buy for me.
    Just buy Ryo's solo album "The Myth of the Mostrophus". It has everyone from SB on it, and sounds more like Spock's Beard than a Ryo solo album. Way Way better than anything SB has put out since X.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Whiteman is the guy Ryo wrote all his songs with on his solo album.
    Also the lead singer/bassist/main writer for I Am the Manic Whale.

I don't think we have seen the last of Spock's Beard. I echo others here who say X was great and the best of the NDV era and on par with Morse era. Feel sorry for the band that just as they hit their stride with Nick and the X album, he leaves and they have to re-invent themselves yet again. But they did that successfully with Ted.

Hear me out here and see if I'm crazy - remember we never thought we would get another Transatlantic album, Neal was done with it. But then came The Whirlwind. Could the same thing happen with Spock's? Transatlantic is currently on ice, Mike is touring with Winery Dogs for most of this year so no NMB or FC. If Neal was wanting to do a BIG project album in lieu of NMB, FC, or Transatlantic how about a full Spock's Beard reunion album and tour! I'm sure he'd love to record with Alan again. All the guys get along. That tour could really be something playing the new album and old SB classics that haven't been heard live in many years. And I see no reason why both Neal and Ted couldn't be in the band together. Think of the vocal dynamics they could pull off with all these singing members.

Neal hasn't really been on hiatus though - he is working on two solo works - God's Smuggler and Joseph Part 1 and Part 2 (part 1 will be out on Frontiers records in August) and there will be a new D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings album probably this year. BUT I'm sure the itch for a BIG project will come again and why not a Spock's reunion? I know we got Snow Live and "Falling For Forever" but it still feels like there is unfinished business with Neal and Spock's that should be done while there is still time to do it.

John Boegehold
    Just to clarify a few things I read in the posts above (forgive me, I'm too lazy to quote ), I didn't start Pattern-Seeking Animals to get more recognition for myself. I've always preferred to stay behind-the-scenes but I'm constantly writing and wanted another outlet for my material rather than warehousing songs between SB releases. I'm a songwriter. Whether it's my band or someone else performing my material, it's all good to me. Also, P-SA has had 0% to do with SB's activity or lack-thereof since Noise Floor. There has never been a conflict with recording, live dates, promo, etc.

While I might have submitted a few over the years, I never pushed SB to do more "adult pop-type songs." Not sure where that came from. In fact, one of the songs I wrote for Noise Floor had a 4-minute balls-out prog section that was taken out (not by me) to make it more straight-ahead rock.

As far as me not performing with P-SA live, I'm not a good enough player to play most things that I write and never particularly enjoyed playing live in the first place. I think the last time I did play live was 1992-3 (?) Ted, Dave, Jimmy, Walter and Dennis are miles beyond my abilities as a musician.

If I ever said something about not wanting to make the Light Part 2, it was no doubt meant in the spirit of not wanting to repeat the past, not a slight of the song. Neal played me the demo of it before SB was formed. It was mind-blowing at the time and I still consider it a masterpiece. I have nothing but admiration for Neal. After he left, my position was always that they should blaze their own trail, not try to recreate the Neal-era albums.

BTW, Ryo's MOTM album is really good.

And for those who care, the 4th Pattern-Seeking Animals is almost finished and will be released sometime in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainforest View Post
    Just to clarify a few things I read in the posts above (forgive me, I'm too lazy to quote ), I didn't start Pattern-Seeking Animals to get more recognition for myself. I've always preferred to stay behind-the-scenes but I'm constantly writing and wanted another outlet for my material rather than warehousing songs between SB releases. I'm a songwriter. Whether it's my band or someone else performing my material, it's all good to me. Also, P-SA has had 0% to do with SB's activity or lack-thereof since Noise Floor. There has never been a conflict with recording, live dates, promo, etc.

While I might have submitted a few over the years, I never pushed SB to do more "adult pop-type songs." Not sure where that came from. In fact, one of the songs I wrote for Noise Floor had a 4-minute balls-out prog section that was taken out (not by me) to make it more straight-ahead rock.

As far as me not performing with P-SA live, I'm not a good enough player to play most things that I write and never particularly enjoyed playing live in the first place. I think the last time I did play live was 1992-3 (?) Ted, Dave, Jimmy, Walter and Dennis are miles beyond my abilities as a musician.

If I ever said something about not wanting to make the Light Part 2, it was no doubt meant in the spirit of not wanting to repeat the past, not a slight of the song. Neal played me the demo of it before SB was formed. It was mind-blowing at the time and I still consider it a masterpiece. I have nothing but admiration for Neal. After he left, my position was always that they should blaze their own trail, not try to recreate the Neal-era albums.

And for those who care, the 4th Pattern-Seeking Animals is almost finished and will be released sometime in October.
    Out of the Horse's mouth, John, fitting for a member of PSA, lol.

Good news. All three albums so far are great.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Good timing for this thread. Last week I was listening "The Light" and then looking at their official website for any activity. I'm glad that is not just me wanting them back.

Just to clarify a few things I read in the posts above (forgive me, I'm too lazy to quote ), I didn't start Pattern-Seeking Animals to get more recognition for myself. I've always preferred to stay behind-the-scenes but I'm constantly writing and wanted another outlet for my material.
    Poor choice of words on my part, John, sorry about that. I meant more exposure for your songs, as I know you're not that kind of person.
    Anyway, thanks for the clarifications, direct information is always better than fan speculation.

I've enjoyed Pattern-Seeking Animals so looking forward to more from them.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Saw them at 3RP in Pittsburgh and it was the first and last time I listened to them.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I remember reading comments on a YT video of SB's Submerged and Ted Leonard posted a long comment on the band's naysayers. I'm sure there's got to be some frustrations with fans who constantly chirp about what's wrong with a band. But what did he expect, its a YT comments section. Actually, most of the comments were positive. I'm surprised he responded.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I remember reading comments on a YT video of SB's Submerged and Ted Leonard posted a long comment on the band's naysayers. I'm sure there's got to be some frustrations with fans who constantly chirp about what's wrong with a band. But what did he expect, its a YT comments section. Actually, most of the comments were positive. I'm surprised he responded.
    Here's the comment on this video:

Man, what an interesting mixture of comments on this song. Does it sound like old Spock's? Of course not! I didn't write this song for Spock's Beard. I wrote this song for myself... and, yes, the video has nothing to do with the lyrics. It's a song. It's not a remark on the ongoing direction of the band. There are plenty of moments on that album that hearken back to the old sound. I'm fully aware of the massive shoes I have to fill. I didn't even choose this song for the album, Alan did. I was just playing him some of my solo stuff and he wanted to do it. That said, I'm glad we did it and I will not apologize. People said the same thing about June and All on a Sunday. Selling out? Piss off! We collectively liked the song and so we recorded it. That's what the band is all about. Like it or not, I am part of this band. I'm the BIGGEST fan of its history, and I revel in its current form... and will forge ahead despite the naysayers.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Just buy Ryo's solo album "The Myth of the Mostrophus". It has everyone from SB on it, and sounds more like Spock's Beard than a Ryo solo album. Way Way better than anything SB has put out since X.
    It is a fantastic album!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Neal was the heart and soul of the band - not just a front man, and when he left, much of the magic/charm that drew the fans went with him.
    I agree with this. It takes nothing away from the obvious talent and skill the other members possess. But, IMO, the chemistry of those guys WITH Neal is what made SB so special.

I am not into Neal's solo prog-gospel stuff at all. I loved his first two more pop solo albums, though.

SB without Neal left me cold. I can't say it was bad. It just failed to connect with me.

I would like to add that, even with Neal, 'Snow' was a bit of a bloated mess.

This is one of the best things any configuration of SB has ever done, IMO, and I don't believe it would have been possible while Neal was still in the band.

We have tickets/lodging for HRH Prog XII in Nov. SB is still on the menu. We're not sure we're going though. Rather expensive trip. Bought the tickets 3 yrs ago!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Ember
    I'm grateful for the existence of PSA if only for the opportunity to hear Dave Meros play. One of the overlooked great prog bassists.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Well, they had a nice innings if this is so.

I've wondered for about a decade how is this band feasible as far as even trying to pay their bills. It seems to have been a labor of love when the guys could fit in a few weeks to write, rehearse and record an album let alone tour for it. That was pretty much slim to none.

If you are not making money then it's a waste of time.

So we've lost SB and Steve Morse recently - he's not dead, just retired - and that means Flying Colors is also pretty much dead unless they want to get someone else and they don't make a boatload of money either. Deep Purple is still a kicking, which surprised the hell out of me. I thought they were retiring about three albums ago.

They just got the roadie to do it. Classic Deep Purple move, do whatever the hell to keep the machine afloat.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I'm not a good enough player to play most things that I write .
    This is quite the inspiring quote.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

I've wondered for about a decade how is this band feasible as far as even trying to pay their bills. It seems to have been a labor of love when the guys could fit in a few weeks to write, rehearse and record an album let alone tour for it. That was pretty much slim to none.

So we've lost SB and Steve Morse recently - he's not dead, just retired - and that means Flying Colors is also pretty much dead unless they want to get someone else and they don't make a boatload of money either. Deep Purple is still a kicking, which surprised the hell out of me. I thought they were retiring about three albums ago.

They just got the roadie to do it. Classic Deep Purple move, do whatever the hell to keep the machine afloat.
    Flying Colors is playing on CTTE next spring. With Morse.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

But that is true for most prog bands. Very very few actually make a living from their music. Everyone in Spock's Beard had either other musical projects or day jobs where they made a living.

Regarding Morse, he is currently on tour with his solo band and as Mstove mentioned Flying Colours are on the bill for CTTE next year. Morse has not retired, but just cut way back due to his wife's illness from everything I have heard.

Deep Purple have vowed to keep going as long as they physically can.

At this time, there's probably little point in them recording anything new, because no one buys music anymore. And the only place they can tour is in Europe, where touring costs have drastically increased. So just from a financial perspective, it's tough.

I'd bet that PSA is probably an attempt from several of the members to try something new (a bit more mainstream) and possibly appeal to a larger audience, which at this point in their careers, Spock's can't.