Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Spock's Beard done?

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I've enjoyed Pattern-Seeking Animals so looking forward to more from them.
    Me too! Great band!

Quote Originally Posted by Brainforest View Post
    I'm not a good enough player to play most things that I write
    Well, I can't play anything I write.

their song writing was never the same after Neal Morse left the band.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    their song writing was never the same after Neal Morse left the band.
    If Transatlantic is really over and the most recent Spock’s Beard configuration is in limbo then it seems like the opportunity might be there to put the old band back together.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I assume Enchant is done too. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    If Transatlantic is really over and the most recent Spock’s Beard configuration is in limbo then it seems like the opportunity might be there to put the old band back together.
    The reason Neal left SB was to go on a "mission" go gain "converts." I don't foresee him abandoning that to rejoin SB. That would be abandoning his very faith.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The reason Neal left SB was to go on a "mission" go gain "converts." I don't foresee him abandoning that to rejoin SB. That would be abandoning his very faith.
    That hasn’t stopped him from doing less religious more secular oriented music with NMB and Transatlantic. It seems like he took a harder line on that sort of thing when he first exited SB, but has evolved since.

That hasn’t stopped him from doing less religious more secular oriented music with NMB and Transatlantic. It seems like he took a harder line on that sort of thing when he first exited SB, but has evolved since.
    Yes, I think so. It took several years though. He quit Spock's in what... 2001? And Momentum in 2012 is really the precursor to the NMB. The two previous albums are Sola Scriptura and Testimony 2 so very much religious before then.

And now here we are in 2023, according to an Inner Circle email, God told him to "pause", and you'll notice that he isn't publicly working with any of his bands right now. The only thing he is working on is his Brother Andrew play which I'm not even sure will be a Neal Morse album at all. So I think he may be going in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mota View Post
    Yes, I think so. It took several years though. He quit Spock's in what... 2001? And Momentum in 2012 is really the precursor to the NMB. The two previous albums are Sola Scriptura and Testimony 2 so very much religious before then.

And now here we are in 2023, according to an Inner Circle email, God told him to "pause", and you'll notice that he isn't publicly working with any of his bands right now. The only thing he is working on is his Brother Andrew play which I'm not even sure will be a Neal Morse album at all. So I think he may be going in the other direction.
    I thought I read that another Morse, D'Virgillion, Jennings album was also in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by Mota View Post

I'm a little jealous that God has Neal on Speed Dial and I couldn't get his attention if I set myself on fire.

Transatlantic was never a full time band for any of its members. It was always a side project. Mike in particular was quite busy with Dream Theater before he left that band.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I'm a little jealous that God has Neal on Speed Dial and I couldn't get his attention if I set myself on fire.
    When's the last time you called up God and invited him to lunch at Shelsky's Delicatessen? You gotta' schmooze the man, Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I thought I read that another Morse, D'Virgillion, Jennings album was also in the works?
    Yes I believe so as well. But no bands and tours, it's just a quick project that won't have any live support.

From Spock's Beard official page:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
    We regret to announce that due to circumstances beyond our control, Spock's Beard will not be performing at HRH Prog this year, and since the rest of our planned UK / Europe tour hinged on doing that festival, the tour won't be happening either.
    We're really sorry we couldn't make this happen, we really wanted to play for you all. Hope to see you all sometime soon!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Not a good development for the band.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    From Spock's Beard official page:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
    We regret to announce that due to circumstances beyond our control, Spock's Beard will not be performing at HRH Prog this year, and since the rest of our planned UK / Europe tour hinged on doing that festival, the tour won't be happening either.
    We're really sorry we couldn't make this happen, we really wanted to play for you all. Hope to see you all sometime soon!
    I saw that post on Spock’s Beard Facebook page. Ted Leonard commented “Well, this is an odd way to find out.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I saw that post on Spock’s Beard Facebook page. Ted Leonard commented “Well, this is an odd way to find out.”
    Yikes...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Oh boy....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

So sad. Here's me and Scott Medina (Sonic Perspectives) breaking down the Beard's discography:
    The Prog Corner

I wonder who is in charge of the official SB page. It's awfully strange that such an announcement would be made public and have fans commenting on it before a member of the band even knows about it. It also sucks that they now seemingly can't even tour Europe anymore, which was about the only place they have been able to for quite some time, if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't bode well for the future - for them and plenty of others - but I don't want to be overly doom 'n gloom about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I wonder who is in charge of the official SB page. It's awfully strange that such an announcement would be made public and have fans commenting on it before a member of the band even knows about it. It also sucks that they now seemingly can't even tour Europe anymore, which was about the only place they have been able to for quite some time, if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't bode well for the future - for them and plenty of others - but I don't want to be overly doom 'n gloom about it.
    I can even remember having seen them on German television in the Rockpalast series. The presenter (Peter Rüchel) was very enthousiastic. I've recorded it and burned it on a DVDr.

Of course they bailed. I'm going to HRH Prog XII! 3.5yrs in the making.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    When's the last time you called up God and invited him to lunch at Shelsky's Delicatessen? You gotta' schmooze the man, Barry.
    Why didn't I think of that?

Well, boil my wombat!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    So sad. Here's me and Scott Medina (Sonic Perspectives) breaking down the Beard's discography
    I really dug the video! I'm checking out your other stuff now as well.