Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Spock's Beard done?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For PSA I like their 2nd album the best of the 3.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    As does Nigel Olsson

Attachment 16980
    And Cozy Powell

"Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

It's a drummer thing.... Has there ever been a guitarist who put his name on his guitar? Emerson didn't even put his name on his Moog.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Has there ever been a guitarist who put his name on his guitar?
    Many guitarists have signature models with their names on the headstock or truss rod cover, but that's not as in your face as a bass drum head.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Many guitarists have signature models with their names on the headstock or truss rod cover, but that's not as in your face as a bass drum head.
    Some guitarists have their name along the frets.

It's a drummer thing.... Has there ever been a guitarist who put his name on his guitar? Emerson didn't even put his name on his Moog.
    Does this count as puting your name on your instrument?

It's a drummer thing.... Has there ever been a guitarist who put his name on his guitar?
    Rob Chapman
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

It's a drummer thing.... Has there ever been a guitarist who put his name on his guitar?
    Les Paul

Just so you know, Spock's Beard broke even or lost money on every US tour, even back on the Day for Night tour era. In later years, they would only do festivals and even then just broke even. Europe (before 2020) was the only place they could kind of make money, but now it seems even that isn't possible.

And after 31 years I'm sure losing money and sleeping on buses is not worth it ...especially when people don't show up.

I'm glad we still get Pattern Seeking Animals releases, which are equally fantastic. Hopefully, Spock's Beard will do another album sometime, but don't hold your breath for any tours...

Quote Originally Posted by Brainforest View Post
    Just to clarify a few things I read in the posts above (forgive me, I'm too lazy to quote ), I didn't start Pattern-Seeking Animals to get more recognition for myself. I've always preferred to stay behind-the-scenes but I'm constantly writing and wanted another outlet for my material rather than warehousing songs between SB releases. I'm a songwriter. Whether it's my band or someone else performing my material, it's all good to me. Also, P-SA has had 0% to do with SB's activity or lack-thereof since Noise Floor. There has never been a conflict with recording, live dates, promo, etc.

While I might have submitted a few over the years, I never pushed SB to do more "adult pop-type songs." Not sure where that came from. In fact, one of the songs I wrote for Noise Floor had a 4-minute balls-out prog section that was taken out (not by me) to make it more straight-ahead rock.

As far as me not performing with P-SA live, I'm not a good enough player to play most things that I write and never particularly enjoyed playing live in the first place. I think the last time I did play live was 1992-3 (?) Ted, Dave, Jimmy, Walter and Dennis are miles beyond my abilities as a musician.

If I ever said something about not wanting to make the Light Part 2, it was no doubt meant in the spirit of not wanting to repeat the past, not a slight of the song. Neal played me the demo of it before SB was formed. It was mind-blowing at the time and I still consider it a masterpiece. I have nothing but admiration for Neal. After he left, my position was always that they should blaze their own trail, not try to recreate the Neal-era albums.

BTW, Ryo's MOTM album is really good.

And for those who care, the 4th Pattern-Seeking Animals is almost finished and will be released sometime in October.
    I'm glad you posted this, because people like to make guesses and treat them as facts, and it gets tiring.

I received email notification Al, Nick, and Ross Jennings are releasing an album November 10th. Titled "Sophomore."

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I received email notification Al, Nick, and Ross Jennings are releasing an album November 10th. Titled "Sophomore."
    Surely you mean Neal, not Alan Morse.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Definitely Neal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Definitely Neal.
    Unfortunately, it's Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Surely you mean Neal, not Alan Morse.
    I stand corrected, it's Neal. And don't call me "Shirley."

I stand corrected, it's Neal. And don't call me "Shirley."
    It will be the follow-up to their first CSNY-style album released earlier in the year (the cover of the new one resembles the CSNY cover of 50 years ago) not to mention the similar harmonies, I bought it, listened a couple of times and shelved it, shrug. I like the proggy side of the three, this group is a little saccharine for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    It will be the follow-up to their first CSNY-style album released earlier in the year (the cover of the new one resembles the CSNY cover of 50 years ago) not to mention the similar harmonies, I bought it, listened a couple of times and shelved it, shrug. I like the proggy side of the three, this group is a little saccharine for my taste.
    Well if you like their proggy stuff, I can see why their CSN-style stuff like this might not appeal to you. It's a different beast. Not what I would call saccharine though, personally.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well if you like their proggy stuff, I can see why their CSN-style stuff like this might not appeal to you. It's a different beast. Not what I would call saccharine though, personally.
    Ceilings and floors, friend, ceilings and floors.

The new Pattern-seeking Animals album Spooky Action at a Distance is out in October, featuring a re-working of the Spock's song Bulletproof from the Noise Floor album. Here's the first single Window to the World:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I like the three PSA albums but they don't make me want to throw away my Spock's Beard albums. I'm not sure which one I like the most though (maybe the last one).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 08-28-2023 at 05:02 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I thought the first one was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I thought the first one was really good.
    I love the first one.

Neal is great at doing the "2nd" harmony, the one that is mostly invisible but adds a ton to the sound. Nick has the greatest harmony voice that I've ever heard . It took him a few albums as lead singer of Spock's before he came into his own as a lead singer, but is a great lead singer now. And Ross has one of the most unique voices in music. Together they sound fantastic.

It looks like news of the mighty Spock's death was premature. They are doing a tour of the UK in January.

2023-12-18_16-48-04.jpg

https://bravewords.com/news/spock-s-...-prog-festival