Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is Spock's Beard done?

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    It looks like news of the mighty Spock's death was premature. They are doing a tour of the UK in January.

Attachment 17360

https://bravewords.com/news/spock-s-...-prog-festival
    I just gave Noise Floor another spin last week. Even proggier the next time around.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Received an email from Ryo today:

https://alvasshowroom.com/event/spoc...-okumoto-band/

anyone in SoCal, get tix while they're still available and please report back after the show. I really wish I could make it down for this.

Point of note, there are two shows that day, the link is for the early show...

Also a couple shows in SoCal on March 3.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    Received an email from Ryo today:

https://alvasshowroom.com/event/spoc...-okumoto-band/

anyone in SoCal, get tix while they're still available and please report back after the show. I really wish I could make it down for this.

Point of note, there are two shows that day, the link is for the early show...
    Thanks for the info. In-laws live a few miles south in Huntington Beach. Can check off the block that we do not visit enough and get a concert.

Got 2 tix for the 3pm show.

It's good that SB are touring again but why in Europe and not in the US? Do they really have significantly more fans over there than in the states (which is where I live)?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It's good that SB are touring again but why in Europe and not in the US? Do they really have significantly more fans over there than in the states (which is where I live)?
    My guess is that it comes down to costs.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Yeah, pretty much all prog bands have much larger audiences in Europe.

I'm a big Devin Townsend fan, and he is a fellow Canadian like myself, but you don't see him playing a lot of gigs in Canada at all. I think his last time in Toronto was 2020 right before COVID shutdowns.

Looks like Jimmy Keegan has a solo album coming out:

https://jimmykeegan.bandcamp.com/album/jimmy-keegan
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nice! I look forward to hearing it!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Mota View Post
    Yeah, pretty much all prog bands have much larger audiences in Europe.

I'm a big Devin Townsend fan, and he is a fellow Canadian like myself, but you don't see him playing a lot of gigs in Canada at all. I think his last time in Toronto was 2020 right before COVID shutdowns.
    And I suppose travel distances between locations are shorter.

Can someone explain the whole Jimmy Keegan situation? xD I'm confused. So he quit performing with SB both studio and live, but remained a member of the studio lineup of PSA, which is pretty much SB only without Ryo. :P I would assume it was because of a personal conflict with Ryo, though from what I can recall, he did add some guest vocals on Mostrophus. The most logical explanation is that Jimmy simply wanted to reduce the amount of gigs, after he had made the decision to start a solo career. But that's only my guess.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Can someone explain the whole Jimmy Keegan situation? xD I'm confused. So he quit performing with SB both studio and live, but remained a member of the studio lineup of PSA, which is pretty much SB only without Ryo. :P I would assume it was because of a personal conflict with Ryo, though from what I can recall, he did add some guest vocals on Mostrophus. The most logical explanation is that Jimmy simply wanted to reduce the amount of gigs, after he had made the decision to start a solo career. But that's only my guess.
    I don't think Jimmy has ever elaborated. I've been confused about the whole PSA deal myself. It's Spock's Beard without Ryo & Al, but no new element added... so basically SB Lite. I know when Oblivion Particle & Noise Floor came out there was a lot of on-line chatter about the songs being more adult pop and little prog, in which John B & Jimmy got defensive about. Then Jimmy leaves, and up pops PSA a year later, and nothing more from SB. But then alas, Ryo very much put out a proggy SB album on his own with Mostrophus.

Ryo just posted on his Facebook page this morning that Spock's is working on a new album.

He played us a demo from the upcoming Spock’s album on a day off during the ProgJect tour just past; it was freaking phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    He played us a demo from the upcoming Spock’s album on a day off during the ProgJect tour just past; it was freaking phenomenal.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    That's fantastic news!