Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Spock's Beard done?

Is Spock's Beard done?

I know the pandemic wounded or killed a number of bands (RIP Anathema) and it looks like the mighty Spock's might be added to the pile?

Their web site is from the 1990s and much of what's on their front page has been crossed out. Noise Floor was released five years ago and it appears the major players have moved on to other projects.

They're coming up on the 30th anniversary of The Light, and three (well, two and a half) decades for any band, let alone a prog band, is a major accomplishment. So even if they're done, they will always be considered legends.

I don't think there's anything official but they're definitely at least on hiatus.

There was clearly some lack of enthusiasm in the interviews I've seen around the release of Noise Floor. Even though the album was strong, the tour for it was minimal, they had to share the bill with another Inside Out artist which meant a short one hour set. It's obviously become harder for them to tour Europe where they could do a headlining tour 10 years ago. As for the US, they just can't tour there. So I can't really blame them for being disheartened: they've put out high quality albums for years and this is where they stand.

Add to that the fact that John Boegehold rightly felt he needed more recognition for his musical contributions and put together PSA with two current Beard members. They've released 3 albums in a short time so that obviously sidelines any Spock's Beard activity. Unless PSA was only made possible by Spock's unofficially calling it a day?

Maybe the band needed a break and will return with a new energy. I certainly don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but the limiting factor could be Alan Morse. He's got his electronics company and doesn't need music for a living. So if he doesn't want to do it, then maybe the band are done.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I don't think there's anything official but they're definitely at least on hiatus.

There was clearly some lack of enthusiasm in the interviews I've seen around the release of Noise Floor. Even though the album was strong, the tour for it was minimal, they had to share the bill with another Inside Out artist which meant a short one hour set. It's obviously become harder for them to tour Europe where they could do a headlining tour 10 years ago. As for the US, they just can't tour there. So I can't really blame them for being disheartened: they've put out high quality albums for years and this is where they stand.

Add to that the fact that John Boegehold rightly felt he needed more recognition for his musical contributions and put together PSA with two current Beard members. They've released 3 albums in a short time so that obviously sidelines any Spock's Beard activity. Unless PSA was only made possible by Spock's unofficially calling it a day?

Maybe the band needed a break and will return with a new energy. I certainly don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but the limiting factor could be Alan Morse. He's got his electronics company and doesn't need music for a living. So if he doesn't want to do it, then maybe the band are done.
    I kinda get the feeling Spock's is done, but I hope we get more PSA as those albums are excellent. Last year's effort was one of my favorite rock albums.

I certainly don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but the limiting factor could be Alan Morse. He's got his electronics company and doesn't need music for a living. So if he doesn't want to do it, then maybe the band are done.
    On the coffee podcast video he did with Neal, Alan says his electronics company is now just him operating out of his garage.

I remember seeing one of the members (Ryo?) asked about this not too long ago, and the answer was that SB was still together.

I've actually enjoyed both the PSA albums and Ryo's solo album more than the last couple of SB albums, though.

Banned
    From my perspective only (and only mine), Spock's Beard were done when the Neal-meister moved on. It never sounded the same or in any way compelling to me once he left for other pastures.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallB View Post
    On the coffee podcast video he did with Neal, Alan says his electronics company is now just him operating out of his garage.
    Thanks, I did not know this.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    From my perspective only (and only mine), Spock's Beard were done when the Neal-meister moved on. It never sounded the same or in any way compelling to me once he left for other pastures.
    You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, and are certainly not the only one, but many of us think there was much to enjoy in the albums they have released since. It's pretty unfair to make no difference between their actual state of dormancy and everything they've done in the last 20 years since Neal left. No wonder they feel discouragement if they still have to face this kind of "No Neal no Beard" attitude.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, and are certainly not the only one, but many of us think there was much to enjoy in the albums they have released since. It's pretty unfair to make no difference between their actual state of dormancy and everything they've done in the last 20 years since Neal left. No wonder they feel discouragement if they still have to face this kind of "No Neal no Beard" attitude.
    I think your reaction to his comment is why people who share his opinion tread lightly or say nothing at all.

Neal was the heart and soul of the band - not just a front man, and when he left, much of the magic/charm that drew the fans went with him. The band mates were fortunate they had a growing brand name they could leverage, but they ultimately a good portion of their audience because they chose to write different material than Neal did. Blaming the fans for not remaining “brand loyal” seems kind of silly. Meanwhile, Neal was essentially scratching that itch with solo and other projects he was putting out. So those who followed SB in the 90s only needed to follow Neal’s solo career if they wanted to hear more.

And with the glut of musical content out there today, the audiences get smaller as do any chances for lasting recognition. If the artists associated with SB are feeling discouraged, they should also recognize how lucky they are they are still being talked about. There have been 1,000s of progressive artists in the 20 years since that would kill to have the audience potential Nick, Ryo, Alan, and company had for the last 20 years. To this day when these guys do other projects, they have an advantage over other progressive artists who have no fans to follow them around.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think your reaction to his comment is why people who share his opinion tread lightly or say nothing at all.

Neal was the heart and soul of the band - not just a front man, and when he left, much of the magic/charm that drew the fans went with him. The band mates were fortunate they had a growing brand name they could leverage, but they ultimately a good portion of their audience because they chose to write different material than Neal did. Blaming the fans for not remaining “brand loyal” seems kind of silly. Meanwhile, Neal was essentially scratching that itch with solo and other projects he was putting out. So those who followed SB in the 90s only needed to follow Neal’s solo career if they wanted to hear more.

And with the glut of musical content out there today, the audiences get smaller as do any chances for lasting recognition. If the artists associated with SB are feeling discouraged, they should also recognize how lucky they are they are still being talked about. There have been 1,000s of progressive artists in the 20 years since that would kill to have the audience potential Nick, Ryo, Alan, and company had for the last 20 years. To this day when these guys do other projects, they have an advantage over other progressive artists who have no fans to follow them around.
    I'm sorry if I came across as blaming anyone who hasn't remained true to the band after Neal left. That wasn't my intention. I can perfectly understand how many felt the Beard lost most of its appeal after Neal's departure.

I believe the band still had many strengths, although very different, which became more apparent after a few albums. I agree that on the first 2 or 3 post-Neal albums, they were mostly living off the band name without making outstanding records. I would argue that albums like X or Brief Nocturnes show a band that is still a force to be reckoned with.

The point I was trying to make is that I don't see how saying that the band hasn't done anything worthwhile in the last 20 years contributes anything to the present thread. There are many of us who feel otherwise and who wonder about the band's current state of inactivity. This is what is being discussed, not the fact that some feel the band sucks without Neal, which is basically where any Beard thread ends up, unfortunately.

The point I was trying to make is that I don't see how saying that the band hasn't done anything worthwhile in the last 20 years contributes anything to the present thread. There are many of us who feel otherwise and who wonder about the band's current state of inactivity. This is what is being discussed, not the fact that some feel the band sucks without Neal, which is basically where any Beard thread ends up, unfortunately.
    Been in any Yes threads lately?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I honestly did not think they were still a band. The latest post on their site is from September 2021 when they announced the postponement (sounds more like a Cancellation) of their 5 date UK tour.
    Not a good sign.

I'd been meaning to start a thread about this so I'm glad someone else did.

I'm actually baffled as to why Spock's Beard is on hiatus (or dead) but PSA goes on. Jettisoning the "No Neal no Yes" thing (which is BS because X is excellent), it seems that SB must be fostering some kind of toxic atmosphere we don't know about. Look at the history: Neal leaves; but he's been a part of other bands he's okay with (Flying Colors, the Neal Morse Band, neither of which is particularly super-religious). Nick leaves because of "Cirque Du Soleil;" however, that hasn't stopped him working EXTENSIVELY in Big Big Train, and he also did the drums for Noise Floor. Jimmy Keegan leaves, again ostensibly because of schedule conflicts, but he's a part of PSA. What's going on here?

It can't be Ryo. I've met him three times and my God, is that guy awesome. Alan Morse also seemed rather nice the two times I met him, but they were more casual meetings. That leaves Dave Meros and Ted Leonard -- both of whom are working with John Boegehold in PSA, as well as Jimmy Keegan! Is there just something not working regarding the chemistry about Alan, Ted, Ryo and Dave?

I'm not wild about John Boegehold's songwriting. He can occasionally toss off something excellent ("Something Very Strange" from Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep is good, as is "Bulletproof" -- which was strangely relegated to being a BONUS track on Noise Floor!*) But his songwriting dominated The Oblivion Particle, which was subpar, and I've tried Pattern-Seeking Animals again and again and it doesn't click for me at all. So I don't consider PSA an extension of Spock's Beard, but maybe it is. Maybe Boegehold wanted to "take over" Spock's Beard, since he was becoming an important element of their material, but not have the "baggage" of the name, and Alan and Ryo weren't on board for it. That's about the only reason I can see for Spock's Beard not continuing.

Honestly, I think Ryo's come into his own with regards to songwriting. "Box of Spiders"/"Beginnings" on "Noise Floor" were the two standout tracks for me, and his solo album Myth of the Mostrophus has the flavor and spirit of Spock's Beard (albeit with some silly lyrics in the title song). I think Spock's Beard still has a lot of potential as a songwriting collective/band... but maybe the energy for it just isn't there anymore.

--

*Trivia: the lyrics of this song are the source of the name "Pattern-Seeking Animals."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Been in any Yes threads lately?
    Definitely not going there. No Jon, no Yes.
    (Just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I'd been meaning to start a thread about this so I'm glad someone else did.

I'm actually baffled as to why Spock's Beard is on hiatus (or dead) but PSA goes on. Jettisoning the "No Neal no Yes" thing (which is BS because "X" is excellent), it seems that SB must be fostering some kind of toxic atmosphere we don't know about. Look at the history: Neal leaves; but he's been a part of other bands he's okay with (Flying Colors, the Neal Morse Band, neither of which is particularly super-religious). Nick leaves because of "Cirque Du Soleil;" however, that hasn't stopped him working EXTENSIVELY in Big Big Train, and he also did the drums for "Noise Floor." Jimmy KEEGAN leaves, again, ostensibly because of the schedule, but he's a part of PSA. What's going on here?
    I'd be cautious with Nick's example. When he joined BBT in 2009 they were not a touring band and all he had to do was spend a couple of days in the UK to record drums for an album's worth of material.
    He then joined Cirque du Soleil around the same time, touring extensively which interfered with SB's still active schedule at the time, delaying the recording of X and clashing with concert commitments, eventually leading to his departure from the band.
    He has now settled as a resident studio drummer which allows him to record his drums for BBT locally and gives him a bit more free time to tour with them, yet they still have a rather small touring schedule at this point. He was also available to record drums on SB's Noise Floor in a similar manner.
    He has been on record saying BBT is the best band he's been involved with, which might actually be saying more about SB...

Some of the examples you give also occurred to me as suggesting there may be a relational problem within the band, although it remains pure speculation.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 04-26-2023 at 09:00 AM.

I've never detected personal issues among the band members over the years, but I do think logistical and business problems make it very difficult to keep afloat. Here's an interesting interview from five years ago:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have been a fan of all eras of Spock’s Beard and hope they are not done, but the lack of activity sure seems like that may be the case. I have all 3 PSA albums and have seen them live twice. They are great, but not the same thing as Spock’s. John Boegehold is not part of their live presentation, so that is kind of strange too.

If Spock’s ever does another album, with whatever lineup, it would be an auto buy for me, and I would jump at the chance to see them live again, but my hope is not high at this point.

Definitely not going there. No Jon, no Yes.
    (Just kidding)

I'd be cautious with Nick's example. When he joined BBT in 2009 they were not a touring band and all he had to do was spend a couple of days in the UK to record drums for an album's worth of material.
    He then joined Cirque du Soleil around the same time, touring extensively which interfered with SB's still active schedule at the time, delaying the recording of X and clashing with concert commitments, eventually leading to his departure from the band.
    He has now settled as a resident studio drummer which allows him to record his drums for BBT locally and gives him a bit more free time to tour with them, yet they still have a rather small touring schedule at this point. He was also available to record drums on SB's Noise Floor in a similar manner.
    He has been on record saying BBT is the best band he's been involved with, which might actually be saying more about SB...

Some of the examples you give also occurred to me as suggesting there may be a relational problem within the band, although it remains pure speculation.
    Nick is also a full-time employee at Sweetwater in Fr. Wayne Indiana as well. The job seems to give him the freedom to belong in bands on a part-time basis to an extent, but it is still his day job.

Spock's Beard were announced as part of the ultimately postponed HRH Prog festival in the UK in April 2022. Some sources cite them as part of the rescheduled event next November, although I'm not sure how reliable anything regarding HRH is at this point -
    https://hrh.live/product-category/spocks-beard/

Notwithstanding the above, and apart from the lack of recent activity, do we have any official world as to the lack of plans for the foreseeable future ?
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Spock's Beard were set to tour in early 2022, but the tour got cancelled do to Covid. This was with a new drummer they introduced in 2019 I think, and then everything came to a Covid halt.

Put me down as well for being confused about PSA. Jimmy leaves SB, only to remerge in a band with only SB members (except Ryo & Al). Huh? I always found John B & Jimmy were pushing hard for SB to get away from prog to make shorter adult pop type songs ("We could make The Light Part 2, but we don't want to!"). They would both be a bit condescending to fans on Facebook who bemoaned not liking new albums like Noise Floor. Then Jimmy quits, and up comes PSA.

NDV now works for Sweetwater Music in Fort Wayne, doing session work, promotional videos, as well as side projects like BBT. He seems to be doing quite well.

Ryo has gone all-in on his solo career (which sounds exactly like a "proggy" SB) and has a three record deal to flesh out while he still can. He also was fully invested in ProgJect with Michael Sadler & Jonathan Mover. That band has oddly gone quiet after announcing new members and promised tour dates.

I don't follow Ted, so I don't know what he's up too.

Neal Morse has been laying low as well. He has a few random shows on his plate, but otherwise still seems "on hiatus" as he announced last year.

Hey, nobody is getting any younger. I don't think there are personality conflicts with the SB guys. But if the music is providing less income in return as the years go on, bands will fade away rather than split up.

I interviewed Ryo a couple months ago and NOTHING was mentioned about The Beard...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Hey, nobody is getting any younger. I don't think there are personality conflicts with the SB guys. But if the music is providing less income in return as the years go on, bands will fade away rather than split up.
    I would bet this is 90% of it. While Neal found a niche in the Christian market within which he can earn a living from music, I think SB at this point is no more than a break-even hobby.

Not to detour the thread too much, but who were the new members announced for ProgJect, and were they additions or replacements?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Not to detour the thread too much, but who were the new members announced for ProgJect, and were they additions or replacements?
    Ted Leonard, Marc Bonilla, Nick D'Virgillo, Michael Whiteman & Travis Davis were all announced as being members who would step in when others could not commit to tour dates. That was Sept 2022.

^ Thanks. I don't even know who Whiteman and Davis are.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Thanks. I don't even know who Whiteman and Davis are.
    Whiteman is the guy Ryo wrote all his songs with on his solo album. Travis Davis is the bass player from Keith Emerson Band who still plays with Marc Bonilla all the time.

OK, keeping it "in house" then.