Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is echolyn still active

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Another BK gem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just posted on their facebook page:

"Not to string you along, but it’s almost time to start mixing the new echolyn album. 90 minutes of brand new music = can you hear us now?!"

90 minutes!! Whoa.

Neil

Sweet! I can’t wait to hear whatever they’ve put together this time.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    This just posted on their facebook page:

"Not to string you along, but it’s almost time to start mixing the new echolyn album. 90 minutes of brand new music = can you hear us now?!"

90 minutes!! Whoa.

Neil
    Cool, can't wait!
    I always thought the Window album was a bit short for a double (70 minutes), especially with all the songs they left off and released digitally afterwards. 90 minutes is more like it.

recent FB post implies it'll be out in the Fall
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Latest:

"Last night Brett and I finished my vocals for the album. Next up is Brett and then Chris will add his voice on 6/24. I think it’s been 5 years of life, love and libation. Mix, master, promote, artwork…….can't wait to get it out of heads and into yours. Here’s to the fall!"

Neil

Is echolyn still active

Updated yesterday. The band are about to begin the mixing process.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Updated yesterday. The band are about to begin the mixing process.

As I posted five posts above (and a newer update since then). It's because I'm Canadian, isn't it...

Neil

anyone know if this one's gonna be on vinyl? they're such a special band to me I'd probably pay whatever they're asking for it

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    anyone know if this one's gonna be on vinyl? they're such a special band to me I'd probably pay whatever they're asking for it
    I don't know, but they've hinted at 90 minutes of new music, so that would be a lot of vinyl!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I don't know, but they've hinted at 90 minutes of new music, so that would be a lot of vinyl!

Neil
    That sounds like a double cd plus a double vinyl. I remember when I interviewed them they didn't think they would do another double but that was 10 or 12 years ago now and of course things can change.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

So, is this new album going to have an actual string section on it, or are they just teasing us?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

yea I think you can do 90 minutes on a 2xLP if it's paced right. The White Album is 95 minutes IIRC and sounds fine

That's 22:30 min an LP side. I'm no expert but from what I've heard the more information you squeeze into a vinyl side, the more potential quality loss there will be.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

a good engineer can still get a decent pressing with 24-25 minute sides if they know what they're doing. more than that you can generally kinda tell unless the music's frequency range is limited. still, make it a triple LP, I don't care

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    This thread reminds me I haven't listened to their albums in a while. Wasn't really into what they put out after MEI.
    Same here. Although I do love "Speaking in Lampblack" from the s/t 2012 album. Looking forward to the new material regardless.

I wonder why Ramsey and Hyatt left? To my knowledge, no one has ever said anything publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Same here. Although I do love "Speaking in Lampblack" from the s/t 2012 album. Looking forward to the new material regardless.

I wonder why Ramsey and Hyatt left? To my knowledge, no one has ever said anything publicly.
    "Speaking in Lampblack" is so great! One of my favorite songs of all time really. So impactful. Plenty of great stuff on that album with "Island" "When Sunday Spills" and "Some Memorial" being other standout songs

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    With Hyatt it seems to be simply a matter of "life getting in the way". There was some talk of the difficulty of getting everyone together early on in the process.

I got the impression (and I have no knowledge outside of reading FB posts, so take this with a grain of salt) that there was something more going on with Ramsey's departure, though. Like some bigger break that they just don't want to talk about.

I remember listening to the Exposure Radio Network in the ‘90s, when the host announced that Echolyn was no more, and were now two separate bands (paraphrasing).
    My wife still wears her two Echolyn t-shirts, which I got for her not to long after “As the World” was released (1995).
    We’re looking forward to some new music from the group.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    "Speaking in Lampblack" is so great! One of my favorite songs of all time really. So impactful. Plenty of great stuff on that album with "Island" "When Sunday Spills" and "Some Memorial" being other standout songs
    yeah I'm still floored every time I hear it. they could've retired after that one. I'm really glad they didn't, but they could've.

"Some Memorial" gives me goosebumps when they get to that "Leave nothing as it was" section near the end of the song, with those vocal harmonies. They really orchestrated that for maximum impact. Spine-tingling.

I really need to listen to that album again; it has been such a long time since I last spun it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I have had As the World in the car for a few days. I think their best work is their post reformation stuff--I am especially fond of Mei, The End is Beautiful, and self titled especially-- but As the World is phenomenal.

I have been re-reading some CS Lewis recently and I can see his influence on the entire central semi-suite, not just on My Dear Wormwood. (I am too young for the original vinyl run, but I almost see the album as three sides of vinyl, with the suite as side two, and everything before and after on one and three.)

They are one of my very favorite bands. What a gift that they have an album in the works.

“but As the World is phenomenal.”

My desert island disc

I played As The World to death in the mid-90s because hardly anyone was making music like this at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I played As The World to death in the mid-90s because hardly anyone was making music like this at the time.
    That's not really true. By the mid-90s there were tons of bands playing 70s oriented or influenced Prog Rock, some every bit as good as Echolyn. Had there not been, I don't think Sony would have signed Echolyn, who were, by some measure, at the vanguard of the movement at that time, but by no means the sole proprietors.

Bill