Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Top Five Concerts Of All Time?

1) Peter Gabriel, 1982 Palladium floor seats. best seats I’ve ever had

2) Elton John, 1976 Louder Than Concorde tour. First concert! MSG

3) Roger Waters, Brendan Byrne Arena Pros and Cons tour with Clapton. Great Sound

4)The Who - 1982 Shea Stadium

Last but definitely not least:
    5) Pink Floyd - 1988 MLOR Tour twice including the show recorded for Delicate Sound of Thunder

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    Surprised this one hasn't been done before.
    Oh, it has. But it’s always interesting to marvel at some of the ‘70s shows some here were old enough to attend!

Hard to pick a top five.

KC - Discipline tour
    Roy Harper - Bottom Line, Knitting Factory - ‘90s
    John Cale - Bottom Line
    Marillion - Clutching at Straws tour
    Marillion - Seasons End/Holidays in Eden tours, Lost Horizon, Syracuse NY

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oh, it has. But it’s always interesting to marvel at some of the ‘70s shows some here were old enough to attend!
    That were my thoughts too when I opened this thread, but I couldn't find it. Well, we're repeating ourselfs here all the time I guess (even if we're not "under stress" - to quote Adrian Belew).

THE NICE DUNDEE 1970
    VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR/ GENESIS DUNDEE CHARISMA cheapo tour 1971?
    EGG supporting THE GROUNDHOGS 1972? DUNDEE
    PROCOL HARUM/ JETHRO TULL DUNDEE 197?
    This is so difficult: how about some 5= they were all great CAMEL IN LONDON - GREYHOUND and WINNING POST
    MARILLION various times.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^ Nice list.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

5 is damn impossible

Toronto's High School gigs: FM, Maneige, Rush, Triumph , Max Webster & Goddo
    North American life (until 1990):
    The Who (farewell tour in MLG in 83),
    Genesis (W&W),
    Jethro Tull (MLG in 77/78),
    Supertramp (Quietest Moment tour),
    Rust Never Sleeps (Road Eyes),
    Alvin Lee (El Mocambo)
    Spirit (The Edge)

European life (since 90):
    Stan Webb's Chicken Shack (Tamines blues festival),
    Gong (Verviers or VK in Brussels),
    first Mt. Ephraim Gardens Canterbury festival (Caravan, Gong, Man, Colosseum, Arthur Brown, etc...),
    Magma (T 140 in Brussels),
    3Daysofloveanpeace festival (Lorelei) (Jeff Starship, Colosseum, Manfred Mann, Hackett, 10 CC, Hawkwind, Caravan, Trower, etc...)

Last edited by Trane; 1 Week Ago at 10:56 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ... it’s always interesting to marvel at some of the ‘70s shows some here were old enough to attend!
    As mentioned in an earlier post, sometimes it pays to be old and having seen some great bands. Being a teenager in the late 60s, I regret not having seen much music then. The only shows I did see in the 60s were Ravi Shankar, Quill (pre-Woodstock), and Canned Heat (post-Woodstock with Harvey Mandel).
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Melt Banana at Hulen (in Bergen) in 1997 on a Skin Graft package along with Zeni Geva and U.S. Maple.

Savage Rose at the (small) white tent, Roskilde festival in 1991.

Swans at the Akademiske Kvarter (Bergen) in 1997 - parts of which ended up on Soundtracks for the Blind.

Magma at Sentrum scene (Oslo) in 2007. Panzerpappa supporting.

Elvis Presley at Kjell-Odd's biffsnadder grill outside of Skullerud last year.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenralph View Post
    1) Dio 1998, Tilburg
    2) Renaissance 2015, Zoetermeer
    3) Transatlantic 2010, Tilburg
    4) King Crimson 2015, Utrecht
    5) Dream Theater 2005, Lichtenvoorde
    Interesting ... all what I would call more "recent." I went with shows that were instrumental in shaping my musical tastes (though by that logic I should have included the 1972 Chicago show I saw... Allentown Fairgrounds, a hot August night...)

If I were to pick more recent shows -- say, post-2000 -- I would have a completely different list.

1. Starting with Nearfest Trenton NJ, 2002. Just a great set of acts; the only one that bored me was Echolyn, and that was probably because I wasn't ready for what they were doing. But Miriodor, Isildur's Bane, Spaced Out, and Caravan -- none of whom I was familiar with -- blew me away, one and all; and of course we were there primarily to see Nektar and Hackett, neither of whom disappointed me in the least.
    Yes, I count it as one "concert."
    2. King Crimson, Winterland, December 2001. Of the five Crimson shows I've seen, this was the most energetic.
    3. Steve Hackett (again), Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles, 4/1/16. The "Acolyte to Wolflight" tour, meaning one full set of Genesis material. The real stunner, though, was the first set closer, "Tower Struck Down/Shadow of the Hierophant," during the climax of which my friend and I were utterly stunned by what Gary O'Toole was doing on the drums. Plus, Roine Stolt on bass and second guitar.
    4. Cat Stevens/Yusuf, Masonic Auditorium, San Francisco, 12/12/14. A greatest hits kind of show, but soooo good, and his voice was still as amazing as ever. He changed a couple of lyrics (notably on "Another Saturday Night") to not offend his own religious views, but it was still a hella great show.
    5. Vienna Philharmonic, Zellerbach Hall, Berkeley, 2/8/23. Christian Thielemann conducting, two Mendelssohns ("Hebrides Overture" and the "Scottish Symphony") before intermission; after, one Brahms (Symphony #2); the encore was a very lively polka by Eduard Strauss, "Mit Extrapost." I have heard complaints about the sound in Zellerbach; I must have been seated in the exact sweet spot, because I could hear every instrument beautifully.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

1 Gong - 2010 Manchester. This one damaged one of my ears we were quite near the speakers. But wow, i'll never forget Daevid commanding the stage during Master Builder.

2. Pink Floyd - Earls Court. London 1994. My favourite band and the only time I got to see them. The excitement when we realised they were plaing all of Dark Side.

3. Eurythmics - Manchester Arena. Their last tour. 1999. Great seats. Annie Lennox. Just fantastic.

4. Magick Brothers - Hebden Bridge. Probably mid 2000s. Great to see Daevid Allen up close in an acoustic setting. Magickal.

5. Man - Manchester Uni, approx 1996. With Micky Jones and Deke Leonard in front of about 40 people. Guitar heaven.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Legendary.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Tough to cut it down to five, so I went with the dozen that left the biggest impression on me. Sorry to exceed. Happy to have attended. There were many more.

California Jam feat. Emerson Lake & Palmer, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Earth Wind & Fire, Seals & Crofts, Eagles, Rare Earth, Black Oak Arkansas - Ontario Motor Speedway 1974
    Bob Dylan and The Band - 'Planet Waves' Tour on which the live 'Before The Flood' was recorded, Inglewood Forum 1974
    Electric Light Orchestra and Little Feat - Anaheim Convention Center 1976
    Emerson Lake & Palmer - Anaheim Convention Center 1974
    Gentle Giant and Renaissance - Shrine Auditorium 1977
    Grateful Dead and Maria Muldaur feat. Owsley's Wall Of Sound - UC Santa Barbara Stadium 1974
    Jethro Tull and Carmen - Inglewood Forum 1975
    Pink Floyd - Los Angeles Sports Arena 1975
    Roxy Music - Hollywood Palladium 1975
    The Who and Lynyrd Skynyrd - 'Quadrophenia' Tour, Inglewood Forum 1973
    Yes - 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' Tour, Inglewood Forum 1974
    Frank Zappa - Pauley Pavillion 1977
    Frog in boiling water

For the longevity of the memory, performance, beyond expectations, vibe of the night, anticipation, friends, travel, etc.

1. Gentle Giant;1973; Waterloo Ontario ( between Vinegar Joe and Wishbone Ash - how could a band do what Gentle Giant did
    on stage )

2. Neil Young and the Santa Monica Flyers; 1973; touring the Tonight's the Night album before it's 1975 release, grieving
    the loss of Danny Whitten and Bruce Berry, Neil playing what he wanted and not what was 'expected' of him

3. Three Friends: 2009, Shoreham and Coolham England - their first two concerts

4. Moulettes: 2016, White Rock BC : full moon open air summer night and their best gig of the Canadian tour

5. Jeff Beck: 1999 Vancouver; Who Else tour

and I could list scores of honorable mentions
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Interesting ... all what I would call more "recent." I went with shows that were instrumental in shaping my musical tastes (though by that logic I should have included the 1972 Chicago show I saw... Allentown Fairgrounds, a hot August night...)

If I were to pick more recent shows -- say, post-2000 -- I would have a completely different list.

1. Starting with Nearfest Trenton NJ, 2002. Just a great set of acts; the only one that bored me was Echolyn, and that was probably because I wasn't ready for what they were doing. But Miriodor, Isildur's Bane, Spaced Out, and Caravan -- none of whom I was familiar with -- blew me away, one and all; and of course we were there primarily to see Nektar and Hackett, neither of whom disappointed me in the least.
    Yes, I count it as one "concert."
    2. King Crimson, Winterland, December 2001. Of the five Crimson shows I've seen, this was the most energetic.
    3. Steve Hackett (again), Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles, 4/1/16. The "Acolyte to Wolflight" tour, meaning one full set of Genesis material. The real stunner, though, was the first set closer, "Tower Struck Down/Shadow of the Hierophant," during the climax of which my friend and I were utterly stunned by what Gary O'Toole was doing on the drums. Plus, Roine Stolt on bass and second guitar.
    4. Cat Stevens/Yusuf, Masonic Auditorium, San Francisco, 12/12/14. A greatest hits kind of show, but soooo good, and his voice was still as amazing as ever. He changed a couple of lyrics (notably on "Another Saturday Night") to not offend his own religious views, but it was still a hella great show.
    5. Vienna Philharmonic, Zellerbach Hall, Berkeley, 2/8/23. Christian Thielemann conducting, two Mendelssohns ("Hebrides Overture" and the "Scottish Symphony") before intermission; after, one Brahms (Symphony #2); the encore was a very lively polka by Eduard Strauss, "Mit Extrapost." I have heard complaints about the sound in Zellerbach; I must have been seated in the exact sweet spot, because I could hear every instrument beautifully.
    I was 18 when I saw Dio in 98, so I can't go too far back ;-)

More "modern music" concerts:

Art Zoyd's 44 1/2 - Carmaux (So France)
    Univers Zero/Aranis/Present - Carmaux (So France)
    Plenty more Carmaux shows, BTW: incl Reve Général, Miriodor Zaboitzeff solo, etc...
    University Of Errors (Daevid Allen) - Verviers (East Belgium)
    Paatos - Timeloss tour - Verviers (East Belgium)
    Anekdoten (Nucleus tour) Le Sud -Brussels 95
    Lindsey Cooper Tribute (Henry Cow, etc...) - Barbican Centre - London
    VdGG reunion QHF London 05 or Trisector tour in Verviers 09.

With my previous post above, that should make rioughly +/- 5 fave concerts.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Born in the 80s and went to college during the peak of Bush era indie:

In no particular order:
    Steve Hackett Nearfest 2002
    Camel Nearfest 2003
    The Hold Steady, Lupos Providence 2006
    Wilco, Lowell Massachusetts 2009
    King Crimson, Boston 2021

Probably the two most surprisingly great shows I have been to were Ambrosia at Rosfest and Kansas on their first tour with the new singer. I was shocked at how good those two shows were. I was similarly surprised by the Jon Anderson-Band Geeks show I saw in May, though I had seen youtube clips before the show.

King Crimson on the Beat tour.
    Genesis in 1982 in Saratoga, NY.
    U2 on the October tour at a club in Albany, NY.
    Rush at Nassau Coliseum on the Signals tour.
    Phish at Jones Beach in 1995.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Pink Floyd (DSOM) - Pittsburgh 1974
    ELP - Boston 1978
    UK - Boston 1978
    Tangerine Dream - Cruise to the Edge 2014
    Jean-Michel Jarre - Philadelphia 2017

This would be really tough for me. I've seen probably over 200 concerts. I can only say these are five great ones (in no order and no festival performances):

Porcupine Tree at the TLA in Philadelphia 2001 (two days after their Nearfest performance)

Steven Wilson - at the Keswick Theater in the Philly area 2015 (I think) A really great performance.

Rush - 2008 Philadelphia They were great in 2007 also but I arrived late so I'll put the 2008 show here instead

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe (an evening of Yes music plus) 1989 Orange County N.Y. (I've seen Yes over 10 times but this was one of the best if not the best and it technically wasn't really even Yes even though it really was.

Ian Anderson -2006 at the Mann Music Center This makes the list for Ian and his band's amazing rendition of Kashmir alone. The fantastic violin playing of barefooted Lucia Micarelli only helped too.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 06-18-2023 at 11:32 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

ELP The Works Tour at MSG July 1977
    Genesis at MSG 1978
    Pink Floyd at Giants Stadium 1988
    The Who at MSG 1979 (concert where Pete cut his hand and Roger took over for a few songs)
    Steven Wilson at the Beacon 2016 Hand Cannot Erase Tour (where Steven had lost his voice but the show went on)

I'm going to do five more (call them honorable mentions if you want):

Yes - Union 1991 Same venue as ABWH (speedway in Orange County NY -where I'm originally from) Even though this is the show that gave me tinnitus in my left ear(fyi, the last part is pronounced like "kiss" and not "us" since it's not an inflammation), it was still a great show.
    Yes - Symphonic 2001 Mann Music Center Philadelphia
    The Who - Giants Stadium NJ 1989
    Roger Waters - Philadelphia 2018 A few people parked next to me had an extra ticket (even though I had my own) so I got bumped up to a better seat. However, the women next to me were annoying and so that kind of made it a less than perfect (but still good) experience for me.
    Magma -Underground arts Philly 2015
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 06-20-2023 at 01:55 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    King Crimson, Boston 2021
    I was at that show. I take that back; it wasn't a show, it was an EVENT! Just amazing!
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That must be like seeing Elvis at the laundromat in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
    Lou

Hmmm.....(born in 1972 as an fyi)

Tribal Tech - Albany 1995
    ABWH - 1989 Toronto CNE Grandstand
    Magma - Nearfest 2003
    Mahler 2 - NY Phil 2006
    Yes - Masterworks Tour 2000 - Jones Beach LI

Interesting. I have only been to five concerts in my life. I will rank them best to least.

1. Yes (Madison Square Garden - 1979) I was in the very front row, orchestra section and took pictures which I still have. Mindblowing (and eardrumblowing.) experience.
    2. Yes (MSG - 1978) I was in the mezzanine. As much as I loved my first rock concert, I had had enough by the time Jon announced what he said was the last song and left. Later I learned I had missed Roundabout.
    3. Yes (MSG - 1980) This time I was in row 14. The Buggles were the only disappointment. The show was amazing otherwise. Squire and White were never better together.
    4. Yes (Anderson Street, Orlando FL - 2011) Free concert sponsored by a local radio station. They played in the middle of a city street. Benoit David - vocals, Oliver Wakeman - keyboards.
    5. Rush (Allentown Fairgrounds, Allentown PA - 1979) They played all of Permanent Waves and the album had not even come out yet. They were very good but I had to listen to Pat Travers before they came on.