Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What Are Your Top Five Concerts Of All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Dude... I need that... thnx.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    You're Welcome. My only small complaint is that the effects on his voice is too much at times. Some is needed but at times it sounds like he's in a tunnel. Overall, it's a quite good concert with an interesting setlist (see below). The concert itself had 11 more tracks that I wish were added to the 2CD set.

Daniel
    Skyline Pigeon
    Take Me to the Pilot
    Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long, Long Time)
    Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Candle in the Wind
    I Heard It Through the Grapevine
    Funeral for a Friend
    Tonight
    Better Off Dead
    Bennie and the Jets
    Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word
    Crazy Water
    Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) / Pinball Wizard
    Crocodile Rock
    Get Back / Back in the U.S.S.R.
    Last edited by Tangram; 4 Days Ago at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I suppose they didn't have the elaborate stage show with pyrotechnics back in those days??

I lived twice in places where you could see the lake from our house or appt (including Mimico, just before crossing back the pond in 1990)
    I rarely went to Square One area, though: it seems like the Go Train and Gardiner Expressway tracks was some kind of Northern limits for me in those days.

MMMhhh!!!!...
    What year did this guy open his shop in Oakville?
    Coz I don't remember much there is terms of interesting shops.
    Living in Clarkson (left 'Sauga in 1981), the public transport to Oakville wasn't good, but it was biking distance from my place if downtown.

As for the Rainbow/Scorpions doubleheader (Blackout/Straight Between tour), I was there too, but it's the Scorpions that opened. About a third of the audience left after the Scorpions' show, so Rainbow played to a half-empty place, which allowed me to move up to second/third row center. Rainbow had a much more elaborate stage show (including pyrotechnics) and despite Blackmood breaking a cheap Strat (probably a Squire), the crowd wasn't all that enthusiastic >> clearly most had come for Scorps. TBH, I was only coming for Rainbow but the JLTurner line-up wasn't good and the set list was poor. Clearly, without Powell & Dio, the band was only the shadow of its former self.
    Actually the 75 Grobschnitt show was already quite elaborate with pyrotechnics and all...the show was called the "Sahara Show" which the band played in 75 and 76 until Rockpommel...the Sahara show which lasted approx 4 hours started with Eroc coming on stage dressed as a magicien with some of his own music playing in the background....then the rest of the band came on stage dressed as beduins and the show started with Sahara...I saw them the first time in a school auditorium which was totally wood panelled, great place with a low stage and when you were sitting in the first row you were 3 meters away from the stage...I saw a lot of German Rock bands in this school....the janitor was a bit suspicious of Grobschnitt and always quite close to the stage...when they started the pyros during Solar Music he went bonkers....it's the one and only time Grobschnitt played in this school...
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Actually the 75 Grobschnitt show was already quite elaborate with pyrotechnics and all...the show was called the "Sahara Show" which the band played in 75 and 76 until Rockpommel...the Sahara show which lasted approx 4 hours started with Eroc coming on stage dressed as a magicien with some of his own music playing in the background....then the rest of the band came on stage dressed as beduins and the show started with Sahara...I saw them the first time in a school auditorium which was totally wood panelled, great place with a low stage and when you were sitting in the first row you were 3 meters away from the stage...I saw a lot of German Rock bands in this school....the janitor was a bit suspicious of Grobschnitt and always quite close to the stage...when they started the pyros during Solar Music he went bonkers....it's the one and only time Grobschnitt played in this school...
    Absolutely cool.

If you remember, I played SML in the car after getting off the Shuttle off to the Canterbury Sounds festival (in 07, I believe), and it cleared the English sky for the next 24 hours, but rained poured on us when we wanted to go to Herne Bay to see where Fripp was living. We ebded up in the XIV C Poor Simon pub instead.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Great story, thanks for posting. I hope we get more 70s recollections before our brains stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    We ebded up in the XIV C Poor Simon pub instead.
    Sounds like a lucky break to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    You need to pick up Elton’s Live From Moscow with just Elton and Ray! Recorded in May 1979 so most of the set should be the same.
    Got it, as well as a few ROIOs from the "Back in the USSA" tour. Alas, none from Berkeley. Anyway, that album is only about two-thirds of the setlist... Unless time restrictions in Moscow made it shorter.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Got it, as well as a few ROIOs from the "Back in the USSA" tour. Alas, none from Berkeley. Anyway, that album is only about two-thirds of the setlist... Unless time restrictions in Moscow made it shorter.
    Can you recommend a ROIO with a full(er) setlist?

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Sounds like a lucky break to me.
    TBH, I wasn't enthralled at the idea of seeing Thames sewer mouth.

The place was historically phenomenal (the food better than the average English pub) and it is on St Radiguns' square (the church has been demolished for quite a while, but the foundations still visible).
    Both St Radiguns and Simple Simon are mentionned in local band Spirogyra songs too.

We later visited Hastings' seaside cliffs a few miles down the coast from Dover.

We had seen the night before:
    Brainville (with Cutler on drums, since Pip Pyle was ill)
    Hatfield & The North
    and Leverton's folk band (that was replacing Caravan, who couldn't make it - Coughlan health issues)

And we met Hatfield at the pub after the show (though I had met them all in Verviers two years prior).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ Sounds like quite a fruitful trip.

My first concert wasn't until 1983 (Thin Lizzy in Newcastle) but my top 5 are:

Van der Graaf Generator - First reformation gig in 2005 (26 years of 'it'll never happen!', and then it did)
    Pixies - Sheffield Hallam University on the Doolittle tour (hairs standing up on the back of my neck throughout)
    Peter Hammill - the Saturday Bloomsbury Theatre gig, November 1986 (first of many PH concerts)
    Roy Harper - The Leadmill in Sheffield, December 1984 ('One of those days in England' - wow)
    Tredegar - free Sunday lunchtime gig at a pub in Sheffield, 1984 or '85 (very low expectations, then they open with Breadfan)

Favourite songs change from day to day, but favourite gigs are pretty much cast in stone...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Sounds like quite a fruitful trip.
    My profile pic is Martin's (Alucard) taken in front of St Dunstans and a wink to Blind Dog (at StD) that's "at it again"
    Actually BDaStD's drawings is from the outside of the gate, whereas we were intra-muros for the picture
    We also waited to try to get a red bus, but in Canterbiry, they're all yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Can you recommend a ROIO with a full(er) setlist?

The first one that comes to mind is a full show from Moscow. Full set includes (* is songs not on the official release)

First set:

*Your Song
    *Sixty Years On
    Daniel
    Skyline Pigeon
    Take Me to the Pilot
    Don't Let the Sun...
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    * Roy Rogers
    Candle in the Wind
    *Ego
    *Where to Now, St Peter
    *He'll Have to Go
    I Heard It Through the Grapevine

Second set:
    Funeral for a Friend
    Tonight
    Better off Dead
    *Idol
    *Think I'm Going to Kill Myself
    *I Feel like a Bullet...
    Bennie & the Jets
    Sorry Seems to Be...
    *Part Time Love
    Crazy Water
    *Song for Guy
    Saturday Night's All Right/Pinball Wizard
    Crocodile Rock/Get Back/Back In the USSR

The whole set is available at SugarMegs, along with a couple of shows from the US tour that followed.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The eons are closing
    Thnx Dan'l

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I can think of 5 greats but would have to think harder to determine if they are the greatest. Been to too many shows. And this is omitting world-beating sets by many bands at Progfests, Nearfests, and Progdays. That's a whole 'nother list.

Jo Jo Gunne, Chi-Lites, Frijid Pink - Strawbridge & Clothier parking lot, Cherry Hill NJ, summer 1971

Gentle Giant, Yes - Interview/Relayer tours, Cow Palace, Denver, July 28, 1976

Rush - Hemipheres tour, 2nd row at Fox Theatre, Atlanta GA, April 13, 1978

Rain Parade - 688 Club, Atlanta GA, 1983

Echolyn - Cafe Tattoo, Baltimore MD, July 1993